Summer Carry Question

This is a discussion on Summer Carry Question within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thanks for the detailed answers, everyone. If it's easy enough to conceal, I might even go with my RAMI, although that might be pushing it. ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Summer Carry Question

Thanks for the detailed answers, everyone.

If it's easy enough to conceal, I might even go with my RAMI, although that might be pushing it.

I would prefer OWB to IWB, but I'm kind of paranoid about having a bump, plus if I carry behind the right hip, I think I'll go for a retention strap. I will probably wear shorts with an elastic waist and also the short sleeve button down much of the time. Again, the shirt will be a lighter color as dark colors and the hot sun makes me sweat.

Thanks again.
    By the forests, behind the guns/In the streets and in the houses/Between the tanks, by the roadside/At the hands of the men, of the women, of the children/In the cold, in the dark, in hunger....

Bertolt Brecht, "To The German Soldiers In The East", stanza 9.

2. Remove Ads

For the more fashionable end, try guayaberas (I think that's the correct spelling), worn mostly by old Latin men and younger latin men going out for more formal occasions. The Cuban Secret Service also wears them. They're square cut, so should be great for CCW, plus the cut looks good. Get the 100% cotton or linen ones, which I hear you buy second hand in FL, otherwise they're $100 a shirt.

Also, batik is also nice- Indonesian and West African.

Otherwise, I would go with cotton and look around the nicer Dept stores, even good, small work wear stores.

Problem is I can't find many short sleeve button-ups that I like enough to wear in public. Any Ideas??[/QUOTE]
    By the forests, behind the guns/In the streets and in the houses/Between the tanks, by the roadside/At the hands of the men, of the women, of the children/In the cold, in the dark, in hunger....

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry in a OWB holster all summer long in Florida. Shorts and a loose fitting T shirt conceals nicely.
    Me too!
    Same climate...
    Same pistola...
    Same clothes...

No problem...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I just got a couple of these from Duluth:Men's Short Sleeve Untuckable No-Polo w/Pocket - Duluth Trading Company, Their stuff tends to be cut fuller and longer. Worn them a couple of times and like them so far. Also Cabela's has a lot of straight cut short sleeve shirts available. Dickes, Carhart, have some too. I generally buy whatever is on sale. Depending on one's build, a tall can provde a little extra coverage, esp. for OWB, but on me talls generally look like I'm wearing a dress.

I carry a Kahr Arms P9 and sometimes a 1911 A1 in an IWB holster all summer. Print shirts or darker colored shirts do a better job of hiding any printing or bulge. Hawaiian shirts actually do a great job of hiding the bulge.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

I don't like the holster or gun against my skin so I wear a somewhat tight t-shirt tucked in and a size bigger short sleeve button down shirt over that with the buttons open.

IWB

I Have carried for 16 yrs and find IWB hard to beat for comfort, retention, and concealment. One huge mistake IMO is to carry in the small of the back, it leaves you very vulnerable to injury should you fall on it and your arm can easily be held back there if you need to reach back for it. I am right handed and carry inside my waist band approx 6" right of centerline.

I told you guys the otherday,about my getting my smart carry,im really getting use to ito,I wore it all Wenesday,while I was running around all over looking for a a shiny new toy,found one at G&L...,but im just packing a Glock 27 and a spare,15 round Glock 22 mag with a extended sleave on it.had on Jogging paints,T-shirt,light jacket,no belt,no holster,just check out the web site,it protects the gun from sweat,the trigger guard is covered,if it wasent safe,I wouldnt use it,or recomend it.

I never thought id wear one,but I figured $47.00,why not try it,when it get dirty,just hand wash it and let it dry,they said a couple times a year.Ill be wearing mine all summer,I work ouside everyday,I have my own Lawn care service,and I get hot...Im ready for the heat now and waiting...:)

Last summer, in Missouri, I usually pocket carried an XD9sc in my shorts pocket using a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster. Yes there was a bulge, but it did not print like a gun and not a person gave it a second look.

I was extremely cognizant if people were giving a second look as it was a new gun and there was a square bulge in my pocket. My wife said it looked more like a wallet. Since my shorts didn't have back pockets it would be logical to have a wallet there. I found, no one even cared in the least including LEO's I was around. However, I do know all of the LEO's in my county so maybe ones who do not know me somewhere else may wonder.

Realize this one truth... The really are

They live their lives in condition white and do not notice things.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I carry the same gun in the winter as in the summer.

I use an IWB Holster, a high quality Belt and favor darker shirts and patterns. I usually carry the same gun/platform for a couple of years before changing. Over the past twenty + years I've carried the following:

4" N-Frame Revolver
    3" L-Frame Revolver
    5" 1911
    Beretta 92
    Glock 19
    and my current carry gun, the High Power.

If you're willing to carry a bigger gun, you will find a way. I don't carry a gun as a "Good Luck Charm" so I select my primary carry gun as one that I would be willing to use to defend my life.

Biker

Square bottom camp shirts and Hawaiian shirts for me all summer. Just don't go "cheap" and buy the cheapo shirts from Target and such. The collars, sleeves and bottom edges of the shirts get funky and require ironing. Not my cup of tea.

rd
    "Little by little the look of the country changes because of the men we admire." Homer Bannon - Hud 1963
    Behind the Barn

In summer, I found a good solution for my PT145 with a Don Hume IWD, a golf shirt tucked in and a 'fishing' shirt mostly unbuttoned. The nylon fishing shirts have vents and are really lighweight, so they are cool to wear, and full-cut so there was no discernible printing. They also have bellows chest pockets that hold lots of stuff, and 'expedition' roll-up sleeves that button in the rolled-up position. I have several from different sources: Eddie Bauer, Sportsmans' Guide, and Dick's Sporting Goods and wear them all the time in warm weather. They're also useful for protection from the sun.

I just ordered a Rusy Sherrick U.S. High Ride in black with a black 1.25 inch belt. I feel kind of silly carrying a pf-9 in there, but he was one of the few holster makers who made a good owb high ride holster and I really want concealment, so I assume you get what you pay for...

Saturday I called around to High Noon, Mitch Rosen, FIST, GALCO and Sherrick. Rusty was the only one to pick up the phone promptly and talk to me for real and in an in-depth way. You can tell he cares about his craft and wants to do it right. I appreciate that he helped me decide that the p-11 would be a bit thick for my method of carry and that the pf-9 would be better.

So, if anyone wants to buy a p-11 with two ten round and two 12 round mags with grip extensions and a trigger shoe, let me know. Probably only 300 rounds through it, had it for a year.

I would go for iwb, but I'm shorter and stocky (plus I'm starting on losing 10 to 20 lbs), so iwb will either be appendix carry and uncomfortable when I sit down or show when I push the grip to the right. I could also try for 5:00 carry but would want a retention strap in that position, which would print more. Plus, the love handles get in the way of concealment...

So, the Sherrick will be next to my arm, won't have a retention strap. Now I have to buy some XXL or XL button downs and t-shirts.

I hear ya on people not noticing, but have read other posts about bad guys looking for people with clip on knives to try to steal guns from ccw-ers. I'm kind of paranoid when it comes to carrying firearms or operating heavy equipment- I want to make sure I'm doing it right, printing as little as possible, etc. I figure the econ crisis is going to make people, criminals included, more desparate and more violent...

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Last summer, in Missouri, I usually pocket carried an XD9sc in my shorts pocket using a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster. Yes there was a bulge, but it did not print like a gun and not a person gave it a second look.

I

Realize this one truth... The really are

They live their lives in condition white and do not notice things.

I live in Florida and I usually carry IWB or in a SmartCarry.
    Any button shirt w/ a print on it and that fits loose will cover your gun. I have carried OWB w/ just a button down shirt and didn't have any problems staying concealed. Sheep don't see much anyway.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links