Summer Carry Question

Summer Carry Question

This is a discussion on Summer Carry Question within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm planning on carrying mostly while on vacation, some of which will take place when its 80 to 100. So, if I'm going to be ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Summer Carry Question

Summer Carry Question

I'm planning on carrying mostly while on vacation, some of which will take place when its 80 to 100.

So, if I'm going to be wearing shorts and a light colored t shirt, do you think that I'll be able to conceal a kel tec p-11 or pf-9 with little to no bulge? Or, should I go with an LCP and a pocket holster? If I go with the larger two guns, which models of holsters and belts would conceal best?

I will probably wear the t-shirts a size or two larger than I normally do. However the clerk says that sweating will still cause the t-shirt and gun grip to print.

Thanks for any considered answers.
    By the forests, behind the guns/In the streets and in the houses/Between the tanks, by the roadside/At the hands of the men, of the women, of the children/In the cold, in the dark, in hunger....

Bertolt Brecht, "To The German Soldiers In The East", stanza 9.

Lead Moderator
    I think either the p-11 or pf 9 would be fine for summer carry. Unless your shirt is soaked, it should not print any more than otherwise. As for holsters and belts maybe research what is available, pick what you like then search for this brand/model to see what others think.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrator
    I agree with the Rock.

I carry all OWB Summer long.
    SIG 220 or Colt Commander - OWB behind the hip - darker color oversize untucked T-Shirt/Shorts - Good gun belt (important) - leather pancake holster - firearm raked/canted forward at least 15 degrees -

I carry in DelFatti or M. Sparks these days but, we have some great other holster makers here.
    UBG ~ Pure Kustom ~ HBE ~ High Noon / Others - but any high quality rig should do it.

Ron
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry in a OWB holster all summer long in Florida. Shorts and a loose fitting T shirt conceals nicely.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Instead of t-shirts wear lightweight, loose fitting, short sleeve button downs, like "hawaiin" shirts without the flowers (unless you're going to hawaii). That's what I did last summer when we went to Myrtle Beach and Florida, no worries with printing and I was carrying a Kahr CW9 in a pancake holster with a spare mag in a kydex pouch.

This will be my first summer carrying concealed. I have a G22 and hope that I can get through this summer with out getting noticed.

My wife hates the Hawaiin shirt idea, although I saw a couple that I liked.

We will have to see.
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

Just add orange plastic cap on your end of barrel

Quote Originally Posted by FireAir7215 View Post
    Just add orange plastic cap on your end of barrel
    Thats one way to do it....

I'm also debating this question, and also going to Myrtle Beach. Being from North Carolina, I wouldn't be really worried about it normally, but South Carolina is NOT an open carry state so I need to be more careful.

Problem is I can't find many short sleeve button-ups that I like enough to wear in public. Any Ideas??
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    ----------------------------------
    "Let a man never stir on his road a step
    without his weapons of war;
    for unsure is the knowing when need shall arise
    of a spear on the way without."

VIP Member
    You could go with a casual polo.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Piece of cake.

IWB with shorts and and untucked (usually) t-shirt, polo, or button-down sport shirt year-round for me and my Kahr K9 too.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Ive carried for 9 plus years IWB with a Don Hume PCCH for a Glock 23. It is coniderably bigger than any of the Kel-tec models. I wear cargo shorts and t-shirts...during the summer. WV has some pretty brutal summers with bad humidity. Just make sure you holster has a sweat/body shield to prevent chafing and possible rust. You'll be fine.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I'm another one who plans on carrying this summer, also. I recently sold my Ruger P95 because it was just too wide to carry under a T-shirt...no matter what I tried. I now have a Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro in a DeSantis "Cozy Partner" IWB with 15 deg fwd cant. I've worn this combo practically every waking hour for about 4 weeks now and even my family members haven't noticed. Very comfortable, too. (good luck with the Hawaiian shirt thing...)
    CabotJim

Quote Originally Posted by njr View Post
    I'm planning on carrying mostly while on vacation, some of which will take place when its 80 to 100.

So, if I'm going to be wearing shorts and a light colored t shirt, do you think that I'll be able to conceal a kel tec p-11 or pf-9 with little to no bulge? Or, should I go with an LCP and a pocket holster? If I go with the larger two guns, which models of holsters and belts would conceal best?

I will probably wear the t-shirts a size or two larger than I normally do. However the clerk says that sweating will still cause the t-shirt and gun grip to print.

The P11 will conceal with an OWB holster and a T-Shirt to cover. That's how I carry it. If Im wearing shorts they will be cargo shorts and the gun can go in the pocket or still OWB.

I always wear an undershirt though too, even in summer. A light A style.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Quote Originally Posted by njr View Post

I am usually in shorts most of the year. If I am wearing shots that require a belt, then either an OWB, or IWB holster will work fine. Button up over shirt or an extra large T shirt. Personally I am particial to the "Yaqui" style OWB holsters, they are lighter in weight. Check out the Biainci Minimalist Holster (spelling ?). If you wear the shorts with the elastic waist band, as I usually do, then try out the Smart Carry System at smartcarry.com . I carry a 1911A in mine, and no body knows, but me! I wear what I want in shirts with this system.
    Y'all be safe now, ya hear!

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
    Thomas Jefferson

Loose fitting clothing does alot to hide weapons in IWB holsters. I have one but generally do not like it because it just feels uncomfortable. Many people however really like them. I carry in a pocket holster which helps prevent printing when I carry the J-frame. My wife always tucks her shirts so she carries her Kel-Tec P32 in a pants pocket.
    JimH
    Kentucky
    S&W 442, Bersa 380, S&W 9mm M&P, Springfield XD40c
    Member: NRA, USCCA

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links