Choosing A Gun Belt - Page 2

Choosing A Gun Belt

This is a discussion on Choosing A Gun Belt within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by los The Wilderness Instructor's Belt (3 or 5 stitch) is a great gun belt for the price. I've used one for about ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Choosing A Gun Belt

Quote Originally Posted by los View Post
    The Wilderness Instructor's Belt (3 or 5 stitch) is a great gun belt for the price.

I've used one for about 7 years without any issues.
    I agree same belt i use.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    I highly suggest a 5 stitch in 1.5 inch if you go Wilderness. It's the standard for them really, and only a $5 option. I have two of these, and a 3 stitch Frequent Flyer. 5 stitch is all I'll order from them in the future (not that these will ever wear out, but I might want a different color or lose weight ). I might also consider the stiffener, haven't tried it yet. Not nec. for a 5 inch 1911 IWB in my opinion, but if going OWB, depending on which holster, I might prefer a little more stiffness.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

To me, those instructor belts look like a gun belt, and I don't like that.

I wear a Liger Gun Belt, which I have found to go well with business casual clothing without looking like you just came from a shooting range. And, over the past two years I've found that they wear better than leather and have the stiffness to handle anything holstered up to a full size SIG.

Try one, and I think you'll be very satisfied.

Liger® Gun Belt - MAXPEDITION HARD-USE GEAR® (Primary innovator and premier manufacturer of outdoor, hunting and tactical nylon gear)

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    One of if not the best holster belt available anywhere are the ones made by The Beltman. Look good, wear well and do the job.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

5.11 belt from OMB express $35.00, leather 1.5" cant beat that, very stiff belt great quality affordable belt.

The reason you want a "gun" belt over a joe shmoe belt from your local dept store is a quality gun belt is designed to be stiff. This stiffness means that the belt won't stretch or sag under the weight of your gun and any other accessories you carry. I read about belts here and then looked at my casual wear belt that I've had for 3 years or so. Boy is it warped and stretched!

A quality leather gun belt is 2 layers of leather that are cross grain from each other. There are a lot of quality belts out there. I have a crossbreed belt and love it. I really like the looks of the Beltman Belts and several others as well. You can get different colors and different widths to fit dress pants or casual pants. There are some pretty cool materials as well. I really want to get an Elephant belt in Natural color, but for $175, I'll pass right now.

As far as nylon belts go, the one that comes up again and again is the Wilderness belt. Great reviews on that one too.
    ~Coriantan~

"When seconds count, the police are only minutes away." * "Don't bring a knife to a gun fight."

Quote Originally Posted by peteG30 View Post
    5.11 belt from OMB express $35.00, leather 1.5" cant beat that, very stiff belt great quality affordable belt.
    Looks good on the site, and is is good to hear from a user, thanks.

Regards,
    Jerry

I have a couple of the 5.11 belts that I wear often. They are decent gun belts with good stiffness, especially when you consider the price.

The one thing I will warn you about is the finish. The outside finish easily cracks and scratches, showing the white leather underneath. I makes for a less than pristine looking belt, if that matters to you.

just got my beltman 1.5 horse hide black, silver buckle...its very nice . my first. wont be my last from the beltman.

Quote Originally Posted by Streetrod View Post
    I keep hearing you need a good gun belt, but I have not seen wear anyone tells what a good gun belt is. What are you looking for when you look at belts? This is all new to me.
    Think of a gun belt as a platform from which to hang your gun. Providing a stiffer platform allows for a somewhat heavier gun and you want the platform to allow your gun to hang without deforming the platform.

Good gun belts offer stiffness sufficient for a gun to "hang" on. Leather is a great material but there are some synthetics that work equally well. Check out Wilderness!
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Quote Originally Posted by Slomo View Post
    I have a couple of the 5.11 belts that I wear often. They are decent gun belts with good stiffness, especially when you consider the price.

The one thing I will warn you about is the finish. The outside finish easily cracks and scratches, showing the white leather underneath. I makes for a less than pristine looking belt, if that matters to you.
    Thanks, it makes a big difference to me.

Regards,
    Jerry

+1 for Beltman here, though I have no doubt that Nate's, HBE, Crossbreed and others are every bit as well-made.

Also +1 on getting it lined with Velcro. Even if you don't own a Crossbreed or similar holster right now, being "new to all this," there's a better'n fair chance that you eventually will. It's my experience that very few people stick with their first carry method, and the 95%+ stealth with minimal cover garments has made this modern carry method very popular. I wear a Beltman belt with a Crossbreed Super Tuck with Velcro mounts every single day for sometimes 14 hours a day. They combine to be the most stealthy, comfortable and secure carry method I've used in the 20+ years that I've carried concealed.

Blues
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington

I have the Wilderness Instructor withe the five stitch and it serves me well! Yea, it looks a bit utilitarian, but I do not believe most people notice that. Just those of us that look for such things!
    "Is that a gun in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?"
    "It's my XD-9 sub-compact!"
    "Good thing 'cause I was beginning to feel sorry for you!!!"

Some great posts here. Since I am looking for another belt this came in handy.

I am currently using a Comptac belt that has the Kydex between the leather. It is an OK belt if you stick with their holsters, but it is a little too thick for my custom made IWB holster.

One thing I do like about the belt is that it is not a straight belt. When you wear a leather belt, over time it gets a "bend" in it. Comptac took this into consideration, so that it does conform better to your body when it is new. Does anyone know if other makers take this into consideration?

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Misfit View Post
    Some great posts here. Since I am looking for another belt this came in handy.
    Took the works right out of my mouth

Craig

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links