Choosing A Gun Belt

This is a discussion on Choosing A Gun Belt within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I keep hearing you need a good gun belt, but I have not seen wear anyone tells what a good gun belt is. What are ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Choosing A Gun Belt

Choosing A Gun Belt

I keep hearing you need a good gun belt, but I have not seen wear anyone tells what a good gun belt is. What are you looking for when you look at belts? This is all new to me.

2. Remove Ads

Streetrod, you'll probably get a lot of recommendations of various makers, but I'll try to answer the generic "what to look for."
    First off, it depends a bit on the sidearm that you're carrying, and the carry method. A full size 1911 platform handgun needs a stouter belt than a Ruger LCP-sized handgun. Primarily look for:

1. quality leather (doesn't come cheap) or man-made material;
    2. proper width for your holster. Too wide and the belt loops won't fit the belt, too narrow and the holster/gun combination will move about too much;
    3. stiffness. This may or may not be a function of how thick (single or double thickness material) the belt is. Regardless, the belt is the main weight bearing vehicle for the holster/gun. A belt not stiff/thick enough won't support the weight, and cause your carry to sag, bulge (if concealed carry), and be uncomfortable for continuous wear.
    4. length. Gunbelts are usually measured a bit differently than casual/dress belts, especially if the carry is IWB. Look to the maker's recommendations on how to measure for proper length.

HTH

-jb

I just got my Beltman black bullhide belt. You can wear it everyday, but it will still hold a large weapon without sagging. I would go with beltman. You want a stiff belt, but comfortable. ALso, a beltman doesnt look like a gunbelt...
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

Quote Originally Posted by JeffB View Post
    Streetrod, you'll probably get a lot of recommendations of various makers, but I'll try to answer the generic "what to look for."
    First off, it depends a bit on the sidearm that you're carrying, and the carry method. A full size 1911 platform handgun needs a stouter belt than a Ruger LCP-sized handgun. Primarily look for:

1. quality leather (doesn't come cheap) or man-made material;
    2. proper width for your holster. Too wide and the belt loops won't fit the belt, too narrow and the holster/gun combination will move about too much;
    3. stiffness. This may or may not be a function of how thick (single or double thickness material) the belt is. Regardless, the belt is the main weight bearing vehicle for the holster/gun. A belt not stiff/thick enough won't support the weight, and cause your carry to sag, bulge (if concealed carry), and be uncomfortable for continuous wear.
    4. length. Gunbelts are usually measured a bit differently than casual/dress belts, especially if the carry is IWB. Look to the maker's recommendations on how to measure for proper length.

HTH

-jb
    +1 nice post.
    Save a Greyhound. Adopt one.

Looking into getting my own soon as well. One thing I would suggest, spend the extra for velcro if you IWB carry. If you ever want to tuck you can get the clips for it. Usually $10 extra...but if you know you'll never need it, of course don't get it. Just something to consider.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

EW3
    +1000 on Beltman belts; I have two.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Senior Moderator
    BLACKHAWK! CQC Pistol Belts - BLACKHAWK!

Entry level belt, they will support you pistol but will wear out a lot sooner than a good leather belt
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Good gun belt:

Double thick. Always double thick. This doesn't mean huge, just 2-ply. Any holster maker that makes belts, uses 2-ply. 2 layers of leather, glued and stitched. I'd say they average 1/4 inch thick, give or take a few 32ths.

The belts that the beltman, me, HBE, and several others are pretty much the same. I know we 3 use the same leather. Others use different leather, but product is still pretty much the same. Some makers also might add a kydex strip or some other stiffener between the leather, but this is hardly necessary. You could get a thinner belt with this added, but I don't think thinner is an option, just thicker.

Crossbreed uses latigo/vegtan in their leathers which is something I wouldn't mind trying. Latigo is usually a little stiffer than veg tan, but I'm not sure on the wear of it, how it will break in.

Nate
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I have an HBE gun belt that Eric made me and its outstanding. I had him make mine with a taper from 1-1/2" tapered to 1-1/4" at the buckle. He did a fabulous job tapering it. IIRC, he used 2 layers of 6-7oz leather, bullhide on one side and cowhide on the other. Mine is a little less than 1/4" thick and holds my 32oz. 1911 very rigid. One of these days I will post up some pics of it as soon as I get my new HBE holster.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

los
    The Wilderness Instructor's Belt (3 or 5 stitch) is a great gun belt for the price.

I've used one for about 7 years without any issues.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

I have also been told by a few guys I've talked to in the area here that the Wilderness belts are very good belts, and you can make them as tight as you want.

kpw
    Wilderness Belts are great. So are UBG's. I've got 2 of Nate's

Get the best holster belt you can afford. I believe a lot of the holster issues people post about are actually belt issues. I'd rather have a $30 holster on a $100 belt than a $100 holster on a $30 belt. My everyday belt is 1 3/4 inch bullhide beltman belt, since I wear jeans about every day. There is very little movement in the belt loops, and because it is so wide and thick, I don't have to cinch it super-tight to support a holster and accessories. I also have a Wilderness frequent flyer 5-stitch belt with I like, but the next time I order one I will get the plastic inserts, as it is a little too flexible for my tastes.

I own eight gunbelts. One is a wilderness 1 3/4" reinforced instructor belt and six Galco belts. One 1 3/4" leather, one 1 1/4" reinforced leather, five 1 1/2" leather and one 1 1/2" nylon 5 stitch instructors belt.
    Buy a good one from Galco, Beltman, Rosen etc. I recommend a 1 1/2". Dont hesitate to spend 70 - 100 dollars for a leather one. They last a long time. For casual wear, the 1 1/2" 5 stitch nylon belts work well.`
    Life is for the living, sleep is for the dead.

As posted above----1.5" wilderness belt. About 35 buck
    "Manners are good when one may have to back up his actions with his life" Robert Heinlein"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links