CC holster for slim lefty with M&P 9mm compact?

This is a discussion on CC holster for slim lefty with M&P 9mm compact? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am new to CC, and this will be my first CC pistol and holster. I am left eye dominant and shoot left handed even ...

Thread: CC holster for slim lefty with M&P 9mm compact?

CC holster for slim lefty with M&P 9mm compact?

I am new to CC, and this will be my first CC pistol and holster. I am left eye dominant and shoot left handed even though I am right handed (partly ambidextrous in most tool skills). Reading up on this I think I want strong side draw. I like the idea of IWB (easier to conceal in a hot summer), but initially I think I will start OWB to avoid having to replace my wardrobe.

Where I get stuck in making a choice is the holster position (9, or 8 to 8:30 position) and cant. Being a lefty with a M&P 9mm compact greatly reduces many holster choices. Also I'm looking at the M&P with the ambi thumb safeties which probably further reduces holster choices. I am slim with a waist less then 32" hence the choice of a compact.

Can anyone give me some pointers to consider? Or even holsters to recommend? To be more frugal I'd like to use the same holster at the range during practice, and possibly also in competition (for practice not winning).

Also with IWB, while the holster/pistol are covered I notice that the holster clips are often visible over the belt. Is that still considered concealed? Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

Even with the clips exposed on the belt it is still considered concealed and most people will never notice anything on your belt anyway (some holsters can be had with a c clip that the belt sits over so is only visable on the top/bottom of the belt)

Any of the custom makers that have a mold for the MP Compact can make a lefty version.

As for recommendations, are you looking for Kydex, Leather or Hybrid (leather/kydex mix)?
    When Guns Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have guns

Just remember, When seconds count help is mere minutes away

Also remember, When you go to trial by jury you are putting yourself into the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

So I did more reading tonight and think I'm going to get a Kydex holster for practicality in the hot humid (and sweaty) summers we have round here. I found some great reviews for the Raven Concealment Phantom holsters. They seemed to be even better than the Comp-Tac MTAC for many people, which explains the 30+ day order delay right now (March 2009). With accessory clips the same base holster can be worn either IWB or OWB. Starting out that seems good value for me, giving me great options for the range, IDPA, and concealed carry in all seasons.

Links