Need Suggestions for Someone Who Does Mechanical Work

This is a discussion on Need Suggestions for Someone Who Does Mechanical Work within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Unfortunately I don't don't have the average job. Fortunately I do set my own schedule, am self employed and have a lot of latitude. I ...

Thread: Need Suggestions for Someone Who Does Mechanical Work

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar

Need Suggestions for Someone Who Does Mechanical Work

Unfortunately I don't don't have the average job. Fortunately I do set my own schedule, am self employed and have a lot of latitude.

I am looking for carry suggestions for someone who works on a wide variety of commercial and industrial equipment and machinery.
    (mills, lathes, welders, refrigeration etc.)

In my daily endeavours I will be rollling around in the floor, crawling along beams and spending time on a ladder. Other times I am directing a crew from the ground.

None of customers I have, have a problem with CC on their sites. Right now a pocket holster and a LCP is working fine for general work. Being right handed means I would have to lay on the pistol if I were in the floor. [in two recent cases I have had to descretely remove it and my cell phone to perform my needed tasks.]

I considered a ankle setup but that on a ladder sort of concerns me.
    And, some environments can be extremely dirty and dusty.

Due to my size, I am a big ol' boy, an IWB holster might be a problem.

A waist band could be an option - never tryed one. But in the summer some of my sites are 110/f +.

I really have absolutely no problem with changing my dress to suit the job de jour, but they change throughout the day.

I am sort of lead to a shirt with a pocket sewn in to the left upper quadrent area for cross draw. Good or bad idea?

I am open to any and all suggestions. You people have been an absolute wealth of information and thanks for shairing your insight and knowledge.

Craig

2. Remove Ads

Not a fan of them myself but you might try the Smart Carry or a Belly Band, from Galco or whatever.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

packin heat in pocket

I do a lot of work on the side as an electrician but I never mention guns to people, i just conceal and work.

I carry my gun in my left pocket because I use my right hand so much. Been in the field a few times and been approached and asked by people if I wanted to buy tools and I knew they were hot, with right hand on my tool belt and left hand on trigger.

THERE'S TOO MUCH TROUBLE IN THE WORLD NOT TO BE READY

Quote Originally Posted by truthtone58 View Post
    Been in the field a few times and been approached and asked by people if I wanted to buy tools and I knew they were hot, with right hand on my tool belt and left hand on trigger.
    Seem to be the norm these days.. Been there and see it daily.

Craig

Since you are a contractor of sorts, what about a 22mag PUG and cary it in a fluke holster. (fluke is a voltmeter used by electricans). It could buy you time till you can get to your truck and your main carry..

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    sounds like Smartcarry would be a good option to try.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

I am constantly bending, crawling, kneeling and laying on the floor or in the dirt.

I carry OWB and dont have a problem.

I am a mechanical contractor, one man band so to speak.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post
    sounds like Smartcarry would be a good option to try.
    I am very happy with my SmartCarry. Although I do not have the kind of job that requires running, jumping, rolling on the floor, etc. I do have a part time job that does. That job is being a grandfather. I can chase and be chased, roughhouse in all manner and means and snuggle with the girls with comfort and without detection. It took some time to create solutions for transitioning through positions without discomfort, but I believe it was worth it.

I am able to carry a full size M&P 45 with a spare 14-round extended magazine as my primary. I also EDC an LCP as a BUG in a DeSantis Super Fly holster.

SmartCarry - Concealed Gun Holsters
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

I use a bellyband, you can change the position of the gun to suit your needs and it's comfortable for me. I will change it from left to right to center depending on the need. I found that wearing it in the center just below the ribcage gives you the best range of movement and easy draw.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Administrator
    The shirt idea?
    You probably don't want to be wearing the same shirt every day.

IWB is probably going to be quite uncomfortable for you if you do most of what you said above every day.

If people that you work with do not have a problem with you carrying then you might want to carry OWB - behind the hip.

Then just leave it open or cover it with an oversize untucked Cotton T-Shirt. Very comfortable.

You might want to think about buying a nice firm holster from somebody like M. Sparks with a Steel reinforced insert stitched in the holster mouth.

That way you can have your firearm be tightly and consistently retained without bothering with a retention strap. Your firearm will never fall out.
    Your holster WILL get scuffed and scratched but, who cares.
    Nothing stays new forever.

If nobody around you cares if you carry a firearm or not then why carry deeper than necessary?

Pocket or Smartcarry would be your best bets IMHO.

Crawling under things on your back or side does not make OWB the best option.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Hey, thanks for the replies.

Looks like I'll be just as well to stick with Don Hume 001 as a pocket holster and pick up one the rear pocket holsters on eBay. They print like a billfold and it is not uncommon to carry two things in you rear pants pockets.

Again, thanks for the help. Hope I can return the favour.

Craig

ps, I did look at a few of my Fluke meter cases as an option.

Links