Review: Sideguard Doubleclip for SW99 Compact

Review: Sideguard Doubleclip for SW99 Compact

This is a discussion on Review: Sideguard Doubleclip for SW99 Compact within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Back on January 20th I ordered a Doubleclip IWB holster from Sideguard Holsters and it came Friday (March 13) The order was actually for two ...

Thumbs up Review: Sideguard Doubleclip for SW99 Compact

Back on January 20th I ordered a Doubleclip IWB holster from Sideguard Holsters and it came Friday (March 13) The order was actually for two holsters (a co-worker of mine ordered the same holster for his CZ-75 .40 Compact. I'll get his comments on Monday and add them then).

Quality/Design.
    Overall, the quality of the leather and the workmanship is very good and when you consider the price (currently $60) its definitely good value for the money (and the lead time is reasonable at 5-7 weeks).

With the mouth of the holster flared and the relatively heavy leather used (looks to be about 1/8th inch) one handed re-holstering is easy. Since the flare is above the belt line, I imagine it will stay pretty rigid for years. Honestly you don't need to go for the extra reinforcement.

Retention.
    Retention is good, its not a retention holster so its not like you could be lifted up by pulling on the gun, but the gun fits securely in the holster. I got on a chin-up bar and hung upside down and felt completely secure doing so (well secure, but rather ridiculous looking ... middle aged men shouldn't hang from chin-up bars in public parks). But its not so tight that you have to worry about slowing down your draw (or bringing the holster out with it).

Comfort.
    We went for an hour and a half hike this morning in Garden of the Gods. Not once in the entire time was I jabbed, poked or rubbed. The gun rode quite comfortably. While seated its just a comfortable.

Concealment.
    The double clip IWB style holster is my favorite for concealing a medium to large sized gun with, and the Sideguard conceals every bit as well as an HBE DC Special or MiltSparks VMII.

Negatives.
    Really not any negatives, if I had to pick one thing that I might change about the holster, I might bring the cant back to 15deg (but hey, I specifically ordered 20deg ... and I suspect that will be perfect for my buddies CZ). But this really isn't a negative since a lot of holster makers don't let you specify the cant. Also, if the gun sat about 1/4" or so deeper I wouldn't mind.

Overall, the Sideguard Doubleclip is easily on par with any of the other dual clip style holsters I've seen on the market, and when you consider the price it definitely makes it worth looking at.

I give it two thumbs up

We truly live in a golden age of gun leather.
    Attached Images

Eriks work is good and I like those clips better than the J Clips. Good to see this in action as its on my list of holsters to order.

Thanks for the review!
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

My coworker came in this morning wearing his CZ.

Overall his holster is every bit as nice as mine, really distributes the weight of that heavy CZ compact .40 (steel frame, not alloy).

Only complaint he had was that the holster was a bit tight on the gun, I told him it'll break in real nice and with that heavy a gun you want tight. Tight is secure.

Erik doesn't have a form for the CZ compact with a rail (like the CZ75 Compact .40 and the P01), so he had to add some material to the form so the gun would fit, and it does real well. I'll see what I can do about getting some pics.

los
    Thats a great looking Holster. Congrats.

...and THANKS for the detailed write-up. Well done!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

New holsters are usually a "bit tight on the gun."

That is easily fixed. Place the gun in a bread type plastic bag. Force the gun w/ bag into holster and leave for couple days-or 3-4 nights and it will loosen up.

I've got one of Erik's holsters for Appendix carry! He does very good work! No complaints with mine!

Nice pics and great report! Thanks! and Congrats!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    Thanks, now I have to put ANOTHER holster on my shopping list.

Seriously, nice looking set up. Thanks for a great review.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Thanks for the feedback and enjoy your holster!
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Links