Business Casual Carry Options (newbie) - Page 2

Business Casual Carry Options (newbie)

This is a discussion on Business Casual Carry Options (newbie) within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Would be to buy a smaller firearm in 9mm. The Rohrbaugh 9 comes to mind & you could carry that in a custom tuck able ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Business Casual Carry Options (newbie)

Administrator

One thing to give some consideration to

Would be to buy a smaller firearm in 9mm.
    The Rohrbaugh 9 comes to mind & you could carry that in a custom tuck able or pop it into a pocket and it would just work out great.
    The Rohrbaugh is expensive but, I can't think of a better personal defense firearm for Hot Weather Business Dress. It seems to be a highly unobtrusive firearm.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Howdy!

For an office/casual mode of dress, I am really fond of a pocket holster/ankle rig combination.
    An ankle rig provides you with a larger, more powerful weapon than what can generally be carried in a pocket, but is slow to access (except when seated). The pocket holster is super fast from a standing position, but renders the gun inaccessable when you are sitting. The two work together really, really well in that they compliment one another (ie each is readily accessable when the other is not) and you automatically have a back-up gun as well.
    Lou Alessi makes GREAT ankle rigs, btw. I recommend them highly.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    The agency I work for puts alot of agents out into the public with firarms and they must stay concealed and the "typical" look of concealed is frowned upon (ie untucked shirt and jacket worn all the time).

Most of us use one of three types of rigs. The Smart Carry (Thunder Wear) is one, tuckable type holsters is another and the third (my personal favorite) is a t-shirt holster.

Some use the Kramer Confidant (not real good) but most are switching to the UC Comfort. With this holster I can carry my weapon, two extra mags, a flashlight, knife and cuffs. All under a button down dress shirt.

The only modifications I make is by changing the top three buttons on my shirts to hidden snaps for easier access, but others just prefer to rip open the buttons, which can be done if your juiced.

Just an idea and one that works real well.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Assistant Administrator
    most are switching to the UC Comfort. With this holster I can carry my weapon, two extra mags, a flashlight, knife and cuffs. All under a button down dress shirt.
    Steve that seems impressive, to say the least! Incredible even.

Do you have or can you take any pics to help show it?
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I used to have to wear a uniform for work that required my shirt to be tucked in. My former employer also mandated carrying weapons was not allowed. For years I wore a tuckable holster (Rosen Workman) with a Kahr K40. This worked great, and I practiced drawing from it from a seated position quite a bit. I would also carry a S&W Airweight .38 as back-up in my front pocket. I never once had anyone notice that I was carrying.
    Being proactive is the best way to avoid having to be defensive.

Follow not in the footsteps of the masters, but rather seek what they sought.

"Stategy is the craft of the warrior."-- Miyamoto Musashi

Ars sine scientia nihil est.

Day Planner

One final option might be a day planner holster. I know you don;t have your gun on you but as you move from place to place you can carry the day planner with you and it is fairly handy.

I've found Smart Carry to be absolutely horrible. The single most uncomfortable holster I've ever tried. I tried experimenting with mine, with smaller guns, tried doctoring it, and ended up throwing it in the trash.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Steve that seems impressive, to say the least! Incredible even.

Do you have or can you take any pics to help show it?
    I will take some pics tomorrow. I have worn this rig coatless for so many years I get use to folks not noticing the weapon. If it didnt work, I wouldnt use it daily. Its a little slower on the draw, but not much once the snaps are installed behind my buttons. The pics will say it better than I can.
    Steve

Assistant Administrator
    Great! Really would be intrigued to see that. Thx.
    Chris - P95

i have to wear business casual too, and this is what i use. No one is the wiser at work.

http://homebasedgroup.com/holsters/
    Driver carries less then $20 of remorse.

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    My vote for this one is simply pocket carry. Mind you its not perfect, but what part of CCW isnt at least partial compromise. You can carry a Kahr K40/KT p11/SP101/Airweight etc and no one will be the wiser. This is the method I always carry with.....either as a primary or BUG! Ankle carry is a good one also...but have had trouble when sitting and my pants ride up alittle...which cant be helped.

While seated it is possible to get your gun when carried in pocket, its not the easiest thing to do. You have to lean to the weak side alot......
    If you need it when you are seat belted in a car...well, thats a whole nother animal. :D

What I like about pocket carry is if you find yourself in a "questionable situation" you simply put your hand in the pocket....hell, youre 1/2 second away from presentation and firing when you need it. And NO ONE is the wiser.........

LETS SEE YOU TRY THAT WITH A SMARTCARRY/THUNDERWEAR AND GO UNNOTICED!
    :D :D :D

If and when the situation goes away you just pull your hand from your pocket........

Shoot well.
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

Has anyone ever tried a thigh band holster with the pocket of thier pants cut out or slotted? Just a thought.
    Pax
    Tulsa, OK

I use pocket carry for my XDsc all the time with shorts (Florida, rarely wear enything else out side of work), mostly cargo style. I use the DeSantis pocket holster. This has worked at the beach, grocery store, restaraunt everywhere. With jeans I use a Pager Pal and I like it, even with my significant overhang. However, having been in your shoes and currently having to wear business dress every day, the XD is too heavy for dress pockets, atg least for me. So I carry the XD in my brief case (zip top, pocket on inside edge that fits the DeSantis as well) and then keep that as close as possible. My 'football' shape just doesnt work well for IWB and I have a hard time keeping pants up without suspenders anyway. I agree that tuckable just seems too hard to get to but it may be better than in the bag.
    ----------------------------------------------
    Bob McDuffee, co-host DogWatch Social Club Podcast
    Thoughtful Conversation, Considered Opinion and a Touch of Insanity
    "He who goes about unarmed in paradise, had better be sure that is where he is!" James Thurber

Pics Of Uc Comfort

(NOTE This post has been modified) Ok, Chris requested so I broke out my digital and will show my limited ability with a camera. Below are twp pictures.
    #1 Shows a weapon, two mag's, cuffs, knife, batton and flashlight under a longsleeve business shirt.
    #2 Shows the mid draw point.

I use this rig daily and quailfy with it as it is my duty rig. It works. If you can NOT scratch under your weak hand armpit with your primary hand, this rig isnt for you. However if you want concealment where no one realizes your packing it works. Personally I have used it with everything from a 1911, S&W 645, S&W66 4", Sig 228/229 and various smaller weapons and have been timed at one second or less drawing, presenting and firing an accurate shot from this rig.

Hope that helps.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by fed_wif_a_sig; August 4th, 2006 at 08:15 PM.
    Steve

Assistant Administrator
    Steve - awesome!

Thx ever so much for taking the trouble. Really does need to be seen to fully grasp the concept. I am even more impressed!

I guess the only remaining question is what I might call ''the sweat issue'' - I sweat in pint quantities in humid summer heat and wonder how I'd manage with something like that.

I do not need it of course as I am well OK with my concealement options a la OWB and cover garment choices.

Thx again.
    Chris - P95

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links