Business Casual Carry Options (newbie)

This is a discussion on Business Casual Carry Options (newbie) within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In response to Chris – P95’s questions, I thought I would post it here rather than in the New Members section… Thanks, Chris. Brian - ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Business Casual Carry Options (newbie)

New Member Array Just Happy 2 See You's Avatar

Business Casual Carry Options (newbie)

In response to Chris – P95’s questions, I thought I would post it here rather than in the New Members section… Thanks, Chris.

Brian - well depends on how deep you call deep

Most know I do not like IWB - much as anything a comfort deal but maybe that will have to be your path. Of course body type too has a part to play in the decisions.

Some people like clips but ultimately good leather is way to go if possible.

So - how deep is ''deep"? And what about your build? Sounds like you may be limited with concealment clothing if I read right with the ''deep'' !
    Rohrbaugh Forum R9 FAQ
    "To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

-Chris

I spend M-F during business hours dressed in Business Casual to Business Formal. After work and on the weekends I’m in jeans/shorts and an un-tucked shirt. Weekends - no problem. I am a Tech Consultant and spend my work week at other company’s offices. This was one of the concerns that brought me to the decision to carry. I can show up at a new client the day after 400 people were laid off. That has only happened once, but you get the idea. I’m an independent contractor and the business of keeping myself employed has so much to do with my reputation. Even in a city the size of Houston your rep gets around. There’s a saying around here, “The oil patch ain’t THAT big.”

In my opinion I can’t accidentally or unknowingly disclose that I am carrying. So that is how deep I need to conceal. I’m 6’ and 220 with a beer gut (but, I’m werkin’ on it). My philosophy is what has worked for me in other areas of life, I just transposed it to this situation: One pistol, one carry/conceal option. With this approach I feel I will be the most effective to respond to an incident through, if nothing else, familiarity through practice.

I’m willing to try anything, with the exception of SOB, to achieve that goal and have already started the “lessons learned” box. Here’s what I have so far:

• The pistol clips and Mexican carry is not the solution.

• OWB will only work if I wear a jacket, keep it buttoned, and/or never take it off. And that would not be feasible considering my work situation.

• IWB with a shirt-tuckable holster could be an option for both work and weekend – and I want to try that, but…

• Pager Pal will probably be my next test.

Here’s another wrench: I drive a lot. I can’t imagine I could pull my pistol while seated in my truck with a Pager Pal or IWB unless it would be a cross draw. I have been removing my pistol and wedging it between the seat and console while driving. It is secure and easily accessible, but I have to unarm and rearm my person before I enter and exit the vehicle.

That’s my deal. I really don’t think this is new to anyone, but maybe others can learn from the responses of the enlightened members of this forum.
    -Brian
    (Home) Mossberg 500, 12 Ga.
    (Carry) PT-145, Clipdraw, 4:30

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Try a belly band or similar. Might be hot , but atleast you are concealed. Seems all the shirt holsters people have tried ,don't stack up.
    Personally, I would keep the gun on my person in the car. Never know if you may need to exit fast, or in a wreck where is the pistol going if wedged into the seat?

6000' above sea level - Albuquerque NM USA
    Pager Pal bulged too much for me - SmartCarry works great, though it's not the fastest on the draw.

I have this problem on occassion, not day to day, but every once in a while.

Tuckable holster is as good as I can do. Works, well, okay I guess.

Try carrying forward of the hip bone if you're driving a lot.

Howdy!

I personally take a dim view of the whole "tuckable" concept. I would suggest that you consider a pocket holster with a smaller firearm. If used properly, a pocket holster is by far the fastest option for getting the first shot on target. Good luck!

Regarding the pocket holsters, I agree they are great when a particular mode of business dress requires total concealment.

For example, you can place a S & W Model 642 Airweight (or similar gun) in an Uncle Mike's Sidekick pocket holste then slip it in the front pocket of a pair of slacks.

Whenever I've needed to do this, I've found that pleated conceals slightly better. However, even if you have plain or flat front trousers, the pocket holster seems to do a good job of keeping the gun from "printing" through the trouser material.

When you're able to wear a sweater, try buying a size larger. I'll wear an x-tra large, even though I'd otherwise wear a 'large' size. With a size larger, and a good quality belt (such as Galco) made for carrying a concealed holster and gun, you can carry a full size auto (I've carried my XD .45 ACP this way for the last few days).

There are lots of options, unfortunately it is expensive to buy something only to find out that what was great for one person just isn't suited for you. Anyway, good luck in your search.
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them."
    George Mason

"Gun control is a job-safety program for criminals."
    John R. Lott

Assistant Administrator
    Hmmm - yes ''deep''

Well - belly band but riding higher perhaps (I could never get mine to stay low!) and of course Smart Carry if you could adapt to it.

In your situation I guess I might resort to R9 in pocket as long as pant pockets large enough. A P3AT would do same tho but then .380. There are one or two other compact 9mm's that could do - again if pockets suitable.

I am no fan of tuckables at all - don't think that'll be too easy for you. Mind you, you may have to try more than one option to find best compromize anyways. Not sure there is ever one easy answer.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    if i am not mistaken a couple of makers are doing ccw t-shirts with built in holsters , tho i have not tried one it may be your answer , just a thought

Quote Originally Posted by Just Happy 2 See You
    Here’s another wrench: I drive a lot. I can’t imagine I could pull my pistol while seated in my truck with a Pager Pal or IWB unless it would be a cross draw.
    I carry IWB at 3 o'clock ... I can easily draw while seated in the car and belted in.

One problem with extreme deep cover carry is that the deeper the cover the longer the draw time and there comes a point where draw time will get you killed.

I used to CCW a Steyr M40 in a belly band and you can't conceal better than a belly band, but I'd have to yank my shirt up to draw (now I have a leather holster sewn into the belly band for deep cover carry of a Kahr MK, but I haven't actually carried with that holster).

Pocket is an option too but one I'm wary of under certain circumstances, such as when I think somebody may be seated behind me for an extended period of time.

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Is an ankle holster a possibility. Better then nothing.

Is the PT-145 your only option or have you considered other handguns for carry?

Have you tried an IWB holster situated at the 1:30-2:00 position? I wear my Desantis Pro Stealth with an extra mag on it carrying my XD9 Service. When I am out and about I place the holster at the above described position so that it's out front where I want it and easily accesible. Even belted in I can easily draw from that position since the seatbelt rides just below it. When I sit down, I shift the butt of the XD towards the right hip and it ends up sitting pointed straight down between my legs.

Just a thought for you to look into.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

New Member Array Just Happy 2 See You's Avatar
    Thanks to everyone for responing. I have a few more options now.
    -Brian
    (Home) Mossberg 500, 12 Ga.
    (Carry) PT-145, Clipdraw, 4:30

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    I also wear similar clothes often, although I do not carry in office.
    I really like my smart carry with my SW642. I literally forget it is on. I too have a "gut" (that I am werkin' on) and find this holster very comfortable. www.smartcarry.com
    I however, can not carry my beloved 1911 Ultra Carry cause the beavertail safety pokes the belly too much. I have ordered a Gary B. max con V, can't tell you how that works as I haven't received it yet.
    But for deep concealment, nothing is BETTER than a smart carry, and for the price, if you don't like it, you arenot out the money. not to mention their guarantee.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    You have the same situation I do. I'm dressed like that all week long as a Pastor and business professional. I've struggled with trying to carry all the time with my size and dress style. Here's what I've learned.

IWB, Tuckable, or OWB all rise and fall on the cover garment. People who dress like I do will rarely wear a cover garment unless it's a sweater in the colder months or a buisness suit jacket, but then you can't take off the cover garment and that's just not comfortabel so non of these work for me. I also tried the Tuckable but now think that whole concept is a joke. With a Tucked shirt you can see the belt line bulge and the snap on the belt. It's all too obvious somethings there.

Next effort, ankel carry. I'm 5'7" and slender and wear dress slacks most days. Even a Kel-Tec P3AT prints. I can get away with it if I wear thicker docker style bought longer than I'd normally wear by at least an inch. And even then you have to be careful how you sit, i.e., you can't forget and cross your legs the long way.

Next effort, move to Smart Carry. I've used one now for a year or more. It does conceal a small weapon well but even with a Kel-Tec P3AT, It makes the pants awfully tight and uncomfortable unless they're on the baggy side. If you wear just plain old good fitting pants there's just not a lot of room in there! I've tried it w/a J frame too. I still carry that way occassionally and I don't worry about it being slow to draw (it is) because I think we'll have a second or two of warning in a job situation and will hopefully get down behind a desk as we draw.

Then I went to pocket carry. With a good pocket carry holster it looks like I have a PDA in my pocket. With thinner material dress pants this isn't the most comfortable but it's better than SmartCarry.

I'm interested in the new Kel-Tec PF-9 they'll be offering this spring. It might be just small enough for true pocket carry, yet it'll give us a 9mm versus the .380 and cost a fraction of what an R9 does. It'll weight a lot less than the R9 too which I think is important if you're really going to pocket carry all day.

So there's where I stand. The more casual a person dresses and the more inclinded they are to wear untucked shirts the easier it gets to conceal. I've even thought about an NAA mini revolver in .22 magnum for pocket carry as a last ditch better than nothing option. I wear a Kahr P9 IWB when I preach because I have a suit on but it's uncomfortable not being able to take my jacket off when I get in the car or go out to each with members of our church because I'm carrying IWB.

So now I alternate between Smart Carry, Pocket Carry, and IWB w/the Kahr depending on where I'm going.

On the weekends If I'm going hunting or fishing I find it great to be able to conceal so much easier with outdoor clothes!

If anyone has a better way, I'd sure like to hear about it!

God Bless

Gideon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links