SuperTuck vs SmartCarry?

This is a discussion on SuperTuck vs SmartCarry? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by PointnClick jh225 sez.. It works like a charm, JH... unless you wear really tight pants, it's an exceptional carry option. The worst ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SuperTuck vs SmartCarry?

Quote Originally Posted by PointnClick View Post
    jh225 sez..

It works like a charm, JH... unless you wear really tight pants, it's an exceptional carry option. The worst part is that the butt of your pistol can sometimes poke you in the belly button when you sit, but it never pokes you in "your junk"...

If you wear pleated slacks in a business environment or cargo shorts to a beach party, the SmartCarry works, and it works without a belt. Being self-employed and living in Florida, a wardrobe of untucked Hawaiian shirts, cargo shorts, and flip flops are de riguere for me... I can carry a full-size Sig P220 45ACP in my SmartCarry and my Taurus PT745 45ACP as a backup in my cargo pocket, without even wearing a belt... just the typical, shuffling Florida old fart...

Armed to the teeth...
    Not tight pants, just regular Lee jeans (not the baggie ass jeans kids wear). It might be an uninformed thought, but having been around the block for quite some time, I believe there is no way it won't be both obvious and hard to get at. Especially with a tucked shirt. Not all of us wear cargo shorts and Hawaii shirts. Also don't wear pleated slacks.

I remember seeing the set up at a show years ago and thinking that a person would look like he had elephant b**ls when worn.

If it works for you, more power to you.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    You can see some photos of it here... Charlie has updated his website and it's lookin' purty good now...

I probably didn't express myself well enough previously... a SmartCarry works in most situations, unless you wear really tight pants, either for style or necessity. If you normally wear your jeans loose enough to reach into your waistband, that's all you need. Pull out your waistband, suck in your gut a little, and you have all the room you need.

And tucked-in shirts are NOT a problem, as the shirt gets tucked inside the SmartCarry.

Is it as fast to draw as an OWB...? Probably not, but the difference is negligible, and it goes places an OWB holster can't go. It can be worn with tennis shorts, swim trunks, sweat pants, pajamas, even a bathrobe...

I think it's fifty bucks well spent... someday you'll probably go someplace where the typical IWB/OWB options just won't fly... so you can look out of place at a BBQ on the beach with jeans and a hefty belt, or put your full-sized 1911 in a SmartCarry and swim trunks, and no one will be the wiser.
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Check these YouTube videos YouTube - passive101's Channel. This guy has some great videos on the smartcarry setup including addressing the trigger pulling issue. He convinced me to get mine, and I love it. It allows me to carry around many people, including their children, who would completely freak out if they knew I had a gun. It keeps me from having to worry about someone bumping the grip on my side and asking me questions about what it is. I am able to carry every single one of my handguns in it with the help of a simple safety pin to adjust the ride height. So far I have successfully carried the following in the same medium SmartCarry: XD 45 compact, Taurus PT145, Glock 19, RIA 5" 1911, Taurus 651, CA .44 spl, and finally my P3AT.

Note on wearing jeans... The grip of my Glock 19 started rubbing a hole on the inside. I stuck some of those iron on patches over the spot and problem solved.

I will say, the Glock 19 and the 1911 barrels do sit pretty low when wearing non loose fitting jeans, but I can normally fix that by adjusting the height of the smartcarry on my hips.

Back to the original question. I own both a SmartCarry and a SuperTuck for my commander sized 1911. Without a doubt I can carry concealed much easier and more comfortably with the SuperTuck. No matter what I do I cannot keep my pistol grip from printing with the SmartCarry. With the SuperTuck I can tuck in my shirt, wear my normal dress slacks, dress shirt and tie, and be confident that no one will have any idea that I am carrying.

This is not intended as a put down for the SmartCarry. When I wear sweatpants or something like that, then the SmartCarry is the holster of choice, but I usually will choose a smaller pistol, e.g., Glock 36.

Yeah , I saw that Youtube guys video's a while back. Too bad he used such poor lighting as the concept of the video's was good.

I do have a serious question about using the Smart Carry though..... If you are carrying a full size .45, or other full size gun, doesn't the holster come down as far as your zipper opening? (especially in jeans) I would think that urinating will become a bit of a challenge, no?

^^ You are correct, but you can probalby sweep it over to the side or lift the entire rig if you need to. Obviously, you may have to use a stall while using the smartcarry, rather than the urinal. An inconvenience, but a trade off for the convenience a smartcarry provides. Just don't drop it and shatter the toilet

Quote Originally Posted by jh225 View Post
    Yeah , I saw that Youtube guys video's a while back. Too bad he used such poor lighting as the concept of the video's was good.

I do have a serious question about using the Smart Carry though..... If you are carrying a full size .45, or other full size gun, doesn't the holster come down as far as your zipper opening? (especially in jeans) I would think that urinating will become a bit of a challenge, no?
    I am definitely a stall person. I practice at home, but still not comfortable in public. I simply hold the holster out of the way.

I am seriously considering the smartcarry too. I just found this video where a guy did pull the trigger with his gun holstered. YouTube - Smart carry trigger pull
    You can't fix stupid. Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by MandM View Post
    I am seriously considering the smartcarry too. I just found this video where a guy did pull the trigger with his gun holstered. YouTube - Smart carry trigger pull
    He might have made a better point if he had shown he was actually wearing a SmartCarry. All the video shows is him stuffing a gun in his pants, then trying to pull the trigger through the pant material.

Regardless if he had a SmartCarry on or not, he sure had to work at it to get the trigger to pull.

I've worn SmartCarrys for thousands of hours, in all sorts of physical activity, and have never had an issue.

grady good point. And like the guy on passive101 said, you have bigger problems if someone is that close and poking that hard down there.
    You can't fix stupid. Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by MandM View Post
    you have bigger problems if someone is that close and poking that hard down there.
    Exactly right.

I wear both without problem. Smart Carry is worn when weather is warm enough for shorts. I tend to wear gym shorts alot in summer and no shirt, due to Virginia heat and humidity. I always wear the Smart Carry in this situation and no one knows. My wife was shocked to learn I was carrying one day. She could not tell.

Rest of the year I use the Cross Breed Supertuck. Nice holster once broken in. Cannot complain about either one.
    Men look out for themselves; real men look out for others!

Quote Originally Posted by NCTom View Post
    Silly of me to ask, but anybody have an opinion? I will be carrying a 5" 1911.

Thanks,
    Tom
    I've carried my G23 in a smartcarry. It does take a little getting used to but conceals very well. Not as much getting used to as IWB but it's different. I think it's a better holster for a smaller BUG/NPE.

I prefere my G23 on my hip or AIWB and use my smartcarry for PM9 or J-frame any time I have my clothes on. Any holster depends a lot on your body shape. Your hip size, leg muscles, weight, comfort level, etc.

Don't forget that any time you wear a gun inside your belt in the front to ask yourself, where is the barrel pointing. Reproduction capability and arterial blood loss should be a concern if you were to boo boo. Trigger safety is an absolute must. Unless you're trying out for the Darwin awards.

I carry my PM9 in a SmartCarry. I recently carried it on vaction with my shirt tucked in while wearing jeans. No one noticed. I thought the same thing some others here thought in regards to comfort/concealability....trust me....it's a great way to carry. The first time I carried my wife had no idea I was packing until I got undressed. When worn per the instructions it's virtually invisible and more accesable than you might think.

Good question! Experiment a little bit with SC placement. That's what I did and found that moving it just a little bit to the right of center made all the difference. Solved the problem straight away.

No different that what I have had to do with most of my holsters. It takes a little bit of experimentation to get it "just right"
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links