Question for Milt Sparks owners

This is a discussion on Question for Milt Sparks owners within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have several Sparks holsters, none with the kydex clips to make the tuckable. Have any of you who own a VM2, bought the clips ...

Thread: Question for Milt Sparks owners

Question Question for Milt Sparks owners

I have several Sparks holsters, none with the kydex clips to make the tuckable. Have any of you who own a VM2, bought the clips later and replaced the leather loops? If so, how difficult was it? Were you pleased with the result? Change 'em back? Does the switch out prevent you in some way from reattaching the leather if you don't like the kydex?

I am very pleased with the leather and don't want to fix what isn't broken, but occasionally would like the option of tucking.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

Kydex clips

I have a VM2 and it came with the standard leather loops. I purchased the clips installed them and tried them out. I found it harder to remove the holster from the belt then with the leather loops (had to do it every morning at work) so switched back.

Switching is easy, just unscrew the existing allen screws and swap out. 5 minute job.

I love my VM2.
    Eric

EM1(SS) Retired

For freedom is never free someone else just picks up tab.

Kimber Custom II
    Kimber Eclips Pro II
    Marlin Camp Rifle .45acp

A 9mm may expand but a .45acp won't shrink

Remember there are only two types of Ships in the Navy, SUBMARINES and Targets!

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ecbaatz View Post
    I found it harder to remove the holster from the belt then with the leather loops (had to do it every morning at work) so switched back.

Switching is easy, just unscrew the existing allen screws and swap out. 5 minute job.

I love my VM2.
    I agree on the ease of switching. It is two screws for each loop (clips come with the Allen wrench, save the zip-loc bag to retain the wrench, the leather loops and screws).

There's a reason it was harder to remove from the belt though. It doesn't go on the belt . The clips are made to ride behind the belt (they're pretty stiff and grab the waist band of my jeans well, I bet they were hard to get off the belt!). Because they ride underneath the belt, they hide quite well. And I've had ZERO problems drawing from a well broken in VM2 and having the holster stay put as it should.

Check the Milt Sparks site, you can find more info on the clips (confirming what I say above). I think it's in the FAQ.

On tucking, I'm afraid I can't help you there. I am not much on tucking over a weapon, especially for a full sized 1911 which is my daily carry. My extra girth in the middle doesn't really help the situation. FWIW, I also don't try to tuck my Glock 19 with a Supertuck with J Clips either.

I did recently switch back, just wanted to use the leather loops again. And I may go back to the clips, even on a different VM2. But those shark skin loops I have for a couple of the others are soooo pretty...

Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
    On tucking, I'm afraid I can't help you there. I am not much on tucking over a weapon, especially for a full sized 1911 which is my daily carry. My extra girth in the middle doesn't really help the situation. FWIW, I also don't try to tuck my Glock 19 with a Supertuck with J Clips either.

I did recently switch back, just wanted to use the leather loops again. And I may go back to the clips, even on a different VM2. But those shark skin loops I have for a couple of the others are soooo pretty...

If you didn't tuck, why did you prefer the clips to the leather loops? I have never had a tuckable holster, I carry a full size 1911 as well, I really can't picture the tucked look with that. I am glad to hear it is easy though and can be readily switched back.

Thanks.

I have a VM2 for my Kahr MK9, they are very easy to switch back and forth from the loops to the clips as mentioned, but they are very very stiff and do not easily slide over jeans or anything I have tried.

As for tucking, I have have tucked each time i have used the clips and the tucking portion works very well.

I like the loops 100% more than the tuckable clips just becuase they are so hard to get on the waistband of the jeans (Im always fighting either side while the other side shimmys its way off the waistband).

Overall I love my VM2.

ReaperVelle

It does take some practice to get the clips on the trousers, but worth it, IMHO.
    I definitely like the tuckable option.

Question

Does anyone have a picture of the kydex clips properly attached to the belt or pants?

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LawyerDagget View Post
    If you didn't tuck, why did you prefer the clips to the leather loops? I have never had a tuckable holster, I carry a full size 1911 as well, I really can't picture the tucked look with that. I am glad to hear it is easy though and can be readily switched back.

Thanks.
    I won't say I preferred them. I tried them simply to try them. I did occasionally use without a belt for short trips to the convenience store and the like. Not supposed to use without a belt, but for me it wasn't too bad for a short run.

As to getting them onto the waist band, I did sort of get the knack. Usually had to unbutton the jeans, but that may be because of my excess weight .

The one characteristic of them I prefer is that they sit behind the belt (much like the Velcro clips now gaining popularity). So even when using a cover garment, it gives you another 1.5 inch you don't need to conceal (not worrying about the length of cover as much). From the top of the belt down is concealed.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Links