Comp-Tac standard vs slide holsters?

This is a discussion on Comp-Tac standard vs slide holsters? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a GLOCK 26 that I will use for my ccw when I get my chl and am looking ahead of time for the ...

Thread: Comp-Tac standard vs slide holsters?

Comp-Tac standard vs slide holsters?

I have a GLOCK 26 that I will use for my ccw when I get my chl and am looking ahead of time for the right equipment for concealed carry. I have decided to buy a Comp-tac iwb holster, probably the C.T.A.C. I am considering the slide version because I plan on buying a 19 or 17 next and would like the ability to carry it in the same holster, saves me $75 for a second one. Also the openness at both ends will allow for even faster cleaning if it gets dirty.

However I don't like the fact the barrel on my everyday carry gun will be exposed to crude build-up just so I can use it for the larger guns. Also if I take additional pistol classes the barrel of the 17 or 19 would touch my skin after a long day at the range. If I plan on taking extra classes I would get an owb paddel in the slide version so I can use my 26 and any other 9mm GLOCK pistol.

What are your thoughts on this subject? Will the exposed barrel be a problem in terms of reliability? Is the versatility worth the exposed barrel? Also what style of clips do you use and what do you think of them?

2. Remove Ads

The regular CTAC (non-slide) isn't closed at the end. However, it does have a definite "end" of the holster where the kydex is molded inward a bit.

A slide holster will allow the tip of the slide to poke out the bottom of the holster. I have heard many stories of folks carrying concealed with a slide holster, only to sit down and have their gun pushed out of retention and fall on the floor.

I recommend the CTAC without the slide option. I love mine.
    Proud member of the Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy:
    http://www.xanga.com/jaltered

Thanks, thats the way I'm leaning but the 26 won't poke out very much.

I have a slide for my 1911's and it works quite well for them. Since it is an IWB holster the part of the gun that sticks out is down behind my pants and I have never noticed it being a problem at all. It has never stuck me or been at all uncomfortable. The only reasons for the slide are (1) you just like the style or, (2) you are trying to save money by buying one holster that will serve a number of different barrel length pistols of similar frame (e.g. 1911, Glock, XD). Either way the holster works quite well.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

IWB Slide Option

I found that the IWB Slide is generally fine untill you shoot and rehoster it at the range. I shoot IDPA matches and found the slide and barrel to be a bit uncomfortably hot when having to reholster after shooting a string.

I would suggest the enclosed type.

Satch

Membership Revoked Array HappyGunner's Avatar

Comp-Tac Slide

I bought the slide thinking I would use it for all three 1911s 3"4"&5" but I only use the slide for my 3" I ordered a Comander size for the 4" I wanted the full length of bbl. covered because in the summer not having it covered caused the bbl. to get a little sweat on it. Also in the winter the bbl. get real cold on the flesh.

I just ordered a C.T.A.C. slide for the GLOCK 26 and a mag pouch yesterday. I decided to go with the slide because the 26 will be my primary ccw but when I get a 19 it will serve as my back-up and I wanted to be able to use the same holster. Also with GLOCKs I don't need to worry about rust from sweat. When I decide to take additional handgun classes after the initial chl class I will buy either a Comp-Tac owb belt or paddel holster, so I don't need to worry about the hot barrel touching my skin. Thanks for the advice.

Links