Defensive Carry banner

Warm weather carry

4K views 24 replies 22 participants last post by  ron8903 
#1 ·
I'd like to ask everyone what they do to carry during the warm summer months, or for people who live in warmer climates (Florida, Texas, etc...). During the cooler months it's easy to conceal a good high caliber piece under layers of clothing, which would get very uncomfortable during summer, and may draw attention. Otherwise I might have to carry a smaller gun that I can keep in a deep front pocket on a pair of cargo pants. So I'm interested in what other people do.

#2 ·
You can carry IWB with a good holster and cover it with just a larger dark color or printed shirt worn outside the pants, this works with a belt holster that rides tight to the body, also. This is how I plan on carrying my Glock 23 this summer here in NC. Also have a Taurus 85Ultralite .38 for front pocket carry. I'm sure others with more experience will offer their advice.

#3 ·
IWB coverup style holster or belly band with dark or printed shirts. The gun will probably show through white tee shirts. I also use a fanny pack holster. It does not shout "Gun" like some folks think.

#4 ·
I carry a full size 1911 in the summer here in Las Vegas, I'm sure you all know just how hot it gets here.

I use an Andrews Leather McDaniel IWB under a loose t-shirt and have no problems with 'printing', and I'm not a big guy. (5'8", 150lbs.)

#5 ·
It can get real hot and sweaty (and boy, do I sweat!) - even up here in PA. I stick to same carry mode all year round - viz, SIG OWB.

Because of my flexibility with clothing I do not find it a problem re concealment - either a lightweight long open shirt or, frequently and when biking, a Smith and Alexander vest. I took some pics for Bud a while back - and this is the vest, albeit now rather beat up - plus right front pocket is beginning to wear thru from NAA Mini :wink: Time to get another new one soon.

In summer I'll have a very thin skinny t-shirt and find the vest only a minor addition re being too hot. As soon as home of course, it's gone. Shucks - those jeans too must be my oldest pair :redface:

#6 ·
Good quality t-shirt,fairly tight.Dark in color.(I always wear a USGI green)Over that a "Jimmy Buffet" kinda loose fitting short sleved shirt. Make sure the shirt is one size too big and made outta material that slides accross the exposed parts of your weapon(mag well,etc.) Mine is a silkish feeling stuff. ---Or--- a cotton pullover and a vest over that. Yeah,a "I've gotta gun" type of vest.(photographer's vest) People down here wear a vest to make people think they have a gun. So many people wear a vest nobody knows who really has a gun. I love Flah-dah.-------

#7 ·
I carry my Browning Hi Power in an IWB holster. In summer wear a "wife beater" type t-shirt between skin and gun, Over sized t-shirt or polo/golf shirt over that. The undershirt does not show very well under the outer shirt, so people don't wonder why you're wearing 2 t-shirts in warm weather.

Been wearing a photog type vest long before I started CCW (over 20 years now) and not giving up it's convience now. So I sometimes have that over the outer shirt.

#8 ·
There's an Uncle Mike's Sidekick pocket holster that works well with a S & W Model 642. Sometimes the dress situation requires I use the pocket holster.

My preference is carrying my XD 45 though. While it stays cool here in Flagstaff (we're at 7000' elevation), I'd still like to wear it under a polo shirt when summer rolls around.

So I'll be looking into this like you, and if an OWB doesn't do it, then I may experiment with an IWB instead. Good luck in finding the right one. :blink:

#9 ·
I ware a t-shirt under a short sleeved button down shirt. With the 2nd, and 3rd buttons done up. Outer shirts with patterns work better for me in terms of less printing. A buddy of mine calls it "Hawaiian style."

I use an Uncle Mike's pancake holster. Soon I will be switching to a Galco Cop 3 slot.

#10 ·
Depends on the day for me and what I am wearing, I either use IWB as I do most of the time, It would take a very hot day to keep me from wearing my Brommeland IWB or sometimes I use a smart carry on hot days too. I will only go with a fanny pack if I am site seeing at the park or something like that.

I also am looking forward to using my LCSB holster I picked up from ExSoldier, it's a pouch type holster, water proof and very comfy.

Ti

#12 ·
Howdy!

I lived in Fl for 14 years, and I gotta tell you guys that for heat, humidity and bugs, that place is hard to beat. I carried a Glock 17 (grip reduced to G-19 specs) or a 5" 1911 daily for 16 or so hours in a Max-Con V.
As has been previously stated, if you go with a shirt that does not form fit and has a little bit of blouse to it, preferably in a print or dark color, you should have no problem whatsoever in concealing it in a good IWB.
If your wardrobe requirements will not allow an un-tucked shirt (office casual dress, for example) I am really fond of a pocket holster/ankle rig combination.
An ankle rig provides you with a larger, more powerful weapon than what can generally be carried in a pocket, but is slow to access (except when seated). The pocket holster is super fast from a standing position, but renders the gun inaccessable when you are sitting. The two work together really, really well in that they compliment one another (ie each is readily accessable when the other is not) and you automatically have a back-up gun as well.
Lou Alessi makes GREAT ankle rigs, btw. I recommend them highly.

#13 ·
Come on , guys - I live in Phoenix, AZ. Only Hell is hotter by comparison (and I'll probably end up there, too!).
My daily carry every day is a Glock 23 or Colt Commander in one of my In-Cognito IWBs. My usual concealing garment is a solid colored banded-bottom polo shirt. The elasticized banded bottom, similar to a sweatshirt bottom, hugs the hips but blouses the material out over it to aid in concealing the pistol. It loooks a little dressier than an untucked t-shirt (and conceals better), can be worn with jeans or cargo shorts for a dressed-down more casual look, and can be worn with Dockers or suit-type pants for a more business-casual look. I also have some Hawaiian-style shirts in solid colors with no pattern or design in cotton guaze that also work very well. I do pocket carry a Seecamp or Colt Pony on occassion, but never as a primary pistol. The Glock or Commander and IWB are always on whenever i leave the house. despite the temps here, I've never seen that as a reason to leave them home.

#14 ·
glock21guy said:
I ware a t-shirt under a short sleeved button down shirt. With the 2nd, and 3rd buttons done up. Outer shirts with patterns work better for me in terms of less printing. A buddy of mine calls it "Hawaiian style."

I use an Uncle Mike's pancake holster. Soon I will be switching to a Galco Cop 3 slot.
I'm with Aaron, but not buttoned up and with a Galco Concealable holster

#15 ·
OWB Don Hume open top for my Beretta Mini-Cougar and a Photographer's vest or 5.11 vest and you'll see stuff bulging or hanging out of the pockets so it makes me look more like a fisherman or a slob than CCW. I dont like shirts because of the wind down here can surprise you and you are accidentally displaying your gun.

#18 ·
I started carrying just before the cooler weather started coming in up here in NH. I would wear a pair of jean shorts and a darker colored t-shirt out when I was away from my house. I through on my duty belt and my Desantis Pro-Stealth holster holding my XD9 and never had a problem with printing (not that I really care all that much about printing up here in NH).

I plan on making some holster purchases as soon as my wife gets the next bun out-of-the-oven! She wants an IWB holster for her Kahr and I want a nice leather holster IWB for my XD. We'll both be wearing IWB with t-shirts this summer. The darker colored shorts or printed type shirts will definately hide better.

#19 ·
Arizona is a DRY heat....not like HUMID Miami

Mark Garrity said:
Come on , guys - I live in Phoenix, AZ. Only Hell is hotter by comparison (and I'll probably end up there, too!).
Yeah....but it's a DRY Heat, right? LOL!

I'm in South Florida and it's pretty warm right now. So much so that I have already begun my warm weather carry method: The tried and true belly bag. Keep a Glock M27 with a 9rd mag inserted and topped off with a Glock M23 as a spare in another bag compartment. It's a S-L-O-W draw, but a good compromise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.