Sportsman Guide Holster offer

This is a discussion on Sportsman Guide Holster offer within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In my NRA magazine I saw an offer for a small of the back holster Made by Gear Guide. Does anyone know about this product? ...

Thread: Sportsman Guide Holster offer

Sportsman Guide Holster offer

In my NRA magazine I saw an offer for a small of the back holster Made by Gear Guide. Does anyone know about this product? It is supposed to fit any large handgun. So, my question is will that make it okay but loose or poor fitting? It looks good but a picture can be misleading.

If anyone has a small of the back holster for a Ruger P89, could you tell me about it?

Thank you very much for your time.
    Ruger P89 (9mm)
    Beretta 9000s (9mm)
    Beretta Tomcat 3230 (.32)
    Sig Sauer Mosquito (.22)

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by gvhorwitz View Post
    ...It is supposed to fit any large handgun. So, my question is will that make it okay but loose or poor fitting?..
    How well do you think it will fit your particular large handgun if it's bill as fitting any large handgun?

There's a big diff between a holster that will "hold" your gun and one that FITS your gun and there are good reasons one generally pays more for a custom fitted and boned holster.

- OS

I seldom mention this, but just this once, and don't ever ask me about my business again...Fist holsters, see 'Related Links' above...has the Ruger P89 on their gun list, so the holster is fit (boned) specifically for the make/model you order...it will be a perfect fit.

I have a half a dozen or so of the Fist #41 IWB/SOB holster with a clip...sits over my kidney not my spine.
    It's 'palm out' draw keeps the muzzle away from the body during presentation.
    It has become my favorite holster...the draw is as effective as strong side with some practice.

I know some who like it and some who don't...it's what works for YOU.

Stay armed...with Fist holsters...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I seldom mention this, but just this once, and don't ever ask me about my business again...
    lol, was watching the movie today on AMC

as for the holsters, I don't have any experience with this particular one, but I have another one that is for large frames, fits my HK USP45 ok, but my G17 sits too far down in it, G21 doesn't sit in it well at all

my advice, if you want a holster to carry your CCW piece, it needs to be one that is for that particular weapon so you are setup as best you can be to perform when you need to
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

I've learned that if something "fits most" it really fits nothing.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gvhorwitz View Post
    In my NRA magazine I saw an offer for a small of the back holster Made by Gear Guide. Does anyone know about this product? It is supposed to fit any large handgun. So, my question is will that make it okay but loose or poor fitting? It looks good but a picture can be misleading.

If anyone has a small of the back holster for a Ruger P89, could you tell me about it?

Thank you very much for your time.
    Are you dead-set on a small-of-the-back holster?

As for Sportsman's Guide, I've personally had good success with them as a company. The few holsters I have gotten from them, however, were fitted for a particular firearm, not a one-size-fits-most. I'd steer clear of any holster of the latter variety, like others have stated. OMO, YMMV.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    I agree that if it fits everything it fits nothing. It would not be satisfactory for my use.

Regards,
    Jerry

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    I agree that if it fits everything it fits nothing. It would not be satisfactory for my use.

Regards,
    Jerry
    +1 on that.

You know the old saying, Jack of all trades, master of none.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

A. holster making is not rocket science. It will probably work for you.
    B. you get what you pay for.
    I's say go with what you can afford right now.

I'm of the school of thought on "fits all.." holsters are not better than holsters for one specific handgun. I prefer to have a holster that is designed around my handgun.

Along these lines, there was a fanny pack with a pocket for a handgun in the same ad. I'm not to thrilled with something that could be snatched off me. Losing my G26 in a fanny pack in a "snatch & run" robbery would definitely ruin my day to say the least.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    I've learned that if something "fits most" it really fits nothing.
    plus one!
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Glad I saw this post and glad I can answer to you first hand. I purchased one and it is one of the worst holsters I have! The leather is very soft, flimsy and upsupported. I had to add an additional snap button to it to make it accomodate my 1911 guns. When placed onto my Acker belt [which is an excellent, thick, stiff gun belt], the gun sags terribly. I immediately knew that this holster is going into the spare holster bag. A poor holster. A poor selection. A poor purchase. They made it look good. It is not. I fell for it.

Don't fall for it.

edited to add: Sportsman Guide and NRA need their butts kicked BIG TIME for this offering. It is the biggest slap in the face to me as a gun owner that I have ever encountered.

Links