Carry Garment Options

This is a discussion on Carry Garment Options within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What do you guys wear while carrying on your hip either OWB or IWB? I usually find that Tshirts don't always fit the bill or ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carry Garment Options

Carry Garment Options

What do you guys wear while carrying on your hip either OWB or IWB? I usually find that Tshirts don't always fit the bill or concealing my Kimber 4". In the climate I live in jackets aren't really an option most of the year. I also think that those "photographers" vest that are usually recommended are too conspicuous. Any Ideas?

2. Remove Ads

Sponsor

Summer time or any time in S FL
    Cargo shorts, wife beater, Magnum PI Hawaiian shirt.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

VIP Member
    I like the longer, more casual looking polos. I usually get them 1 size larger than I wore before I carried.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Rangemaster View Post
    What do you guys wear while carrying on your hip either OWB or IWB? I usually find that Tshirts don't always fit the bill or concealing my Kimber 4". In the climate I live in jackets aren't really an option most of the year. I also think that those "photographers" vest that are usually recommended are too conspicuous. Any Ideas?
    I wear Hawaiian Shirts all year, untucked and unbuttoned. They don't all have crazy print schemes, but the pattern of the shirt is one that lends itself well to concealed carry. Another option for me is an untucked/unbuttoned work shirt, since I wear either Carhartt work pants or shorts 90% of the time I'm off duty.

Another good option:

I like the longer, more casual looking polos. I usually get them 1 size larger than I wore before I carried.
    I do this when I have to look "presentable".

Biker
    Last edited by BikerRN; March 26th, 2009 at 03:49 PM. Reason: more info

These are my favorite cover shirts. They're very light and thin, so they're good in the summer. And they're cheap.

Walmart.com: Puritan Men's Short-Sleeve Button-Down Poplin Shirt: Men

I have t-shirts and polo's that I use as cover garments, just buy them one size bigger. Or a button up short sleeve shirt worn unbuttoned over top of a t-shirt works too.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Open flannel shirt in the winter, open loud Hawaiian shirt in the summer. Both with a color coordinated t-shirt underneath of course.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    Me too.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Untucked T-shirts or Hawaiian shirts.

I like the Hawaiian's better the different paterns tend to draw attention away to my OWB carried G22.
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

T-shirts dont work for me either, I am too short to wear a huge t-shirt to conceal a gun and I just look silly. What works for me is any short sleeve button up type shirt untucked that fits loose enough to conceal the gun. Best thing to do is wear the gun and go shopping for some shirts and try them on to see if they will work for you without printing. That usually works well for me both IWB and OWB, you will need some extra room in the shirt for it.
    Glock 26 4gen, H&K USPc, S&W 642, Wilson Combat 1911 CQB

Sportcoat/suitcoat/blazer/tux. Or a Hawaiian shirt.

Considering a safari shirt. And safari jacket.

I think that a high riding holster that keeps the grip closer to the body (with a good belt) might help a lot when trying to conceal with a t-shirt or polo.

My two pennies based on my experience...
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Tucked and untucked. Just about any type shirt will do. Using the Cross Breed makes it easy for either.

I've almost always tucked my shirts so when I started going around untucked everyone noticed so I just buy my shirts on size larger and tuck normally.

AL

I want to blend in. Those "shoot-me-first" vests don't hack it in the NC summer. I prefer cargo shorts with my Beltman belt, my SuperTuck with a strong cant, and my Kimber Ultra CDP II at my 3:30 position. I often wear an undershirt with a camp shirt over it.

The Hawai'ian shirt look went out of style with Magnum PI.

I also use the same set up with jeans for casual wear, or with a Wild Bill's Summer Comfort clip holster under a suit coat. It's fun to wear my Kimber under a cummerbund for those speacial events.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links