Kydex - .06 or .08? ...other questions...

This is a discussion on Kydex - .06 or .08? ...other questions... within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Placing an order at knifekits - need some advice. I was planning on .06 for IWB holsters and .08 for belt loops & under-dash holsters ...

Thread: Kydex - .06 or .08? ...other questions...

Placing an order at knifekits - need some advice.

I was planning on .06 for IWB holsters and .08 for belt loops & under-dash holsters & OWB holsters. Good plan?

My shopping list:
    - kydex sheets
    - 3/16 rivets for both .06 and .08
    - rivet tool for 3/16 rivets
    - chicago screws
    - Black leather IWB loops (? 8-9oz or 10-12oz ?)

What else do I need from knifekits?

Also - Bersa Thunder9 - can you make 2 IWB's from one 12x12 sheet of kydex?

Thanks!

.06 is a little light for holsters and .08 is very light for belt loops. I would recommend .08 and .09 for holsters. .09 works great but is heavy enough that a lot of detail doesn't show through if you are in to that. For belt loops I would not use anything lighter then .09 and much prefer .125.

I do use .6 on some IWB stuff and have never had it fail.. OWB I use .9 on anything I sell.. As for clips I have gone .125 all the way now..

I think it is a good idea to get the rivet dies but I would go 1/4. I set up wit the 3/16 and realized that you can do more with the 1/4 die. Like a chicago screw will fit in one.

Good luck..
    “Dollars and guns are no substitutes for brains and will power” Dwight D Eisenhower

Here are some of my holsters........

i use .093 i use all one piece to make my holsters. i think it gives it less pionts on the holsters to fail

Thanks for the advice! I'll go with the heavier stuff.

Few more questions:

I like adjustable tensioner screws:
    - Are the chicago screws at knifekits long enough, or are you guys using longer screws from another supplier?
    - what are you using for rubber squash washer?
    - does the screw tend to hold the desired tension over time, or do you use loctite once you get it right?

Snaps:
    - Do I need snaps and setters, such as for IWB belt loop, etc?
    - If so, where are you getting them. I didn't see any snaps on knifekits.

Thanks again!

Snaps
    Look at Tandy leather factory for both the snaps and rivets along with the Chicago screws as you will find the prices are better.

Chicago screws can be had in different lengths so just by the length you need. I use windshield washer tubing or similar for the rubber which can be had at any auto parts store for cheap.

I also like to use T-nuts and small bolts for my tension set ups. In fact I purchased some rivets and a setter when I first got started and have yet to use them as the T-nuts and bolts work better. The best place to find the T-nuts is a nut and bolt supply house. Depending on where you live I would think there is one around.

The size on the T-nut is 8-32 x 1/4 3 prong. You might have to clip the prongs if they are to long but with a little heat they set right into the Kydex for a great non slip hold. The bolts are 8-32 X 3/8 or 1/2 or 5/8 Flat Socket Cap Screws / Coarse / Alloy Steel / Black Oxide which have a allen wrench head. These can be found at 8-32 X 3/8 Flat Socket Cap Screws / Coarse / Alloy Steel / Black Oxide - Fastener SuperStore, Inc.

T-nuts 8-32 X 1/4 3 Prong Tee Nuts / Steel / Zinc - Fastener SuperStore, Inc.

Washers http://www.fastenersuperstore.com/st...tegory=Washers

The prices and quantity on this site are high but it gives you a starting point.

I have some of the stuff I have done posted here if you would like to check it out. http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...creations.html

Quote Originally Posted by muddy View Post
    Snaps
    Look at Tandy leather factory for both the snaps and rivets along with the Chicago screws as you will find the prices are better.

Chicago screws can be had in different lengths so just by the length you need. I use windshield washer tubing or similar for the rubber which can be had at any auto parts store for cheap.

I also like to use T-nuts and small bolts for my tension set ups. In fact I purchased some rivets and a setter when I first got started and have yet to use them as the T-nuts and bolts work better. The best place to find the T-nuts is a nut and bolt supply house. Depending on where you live I would think there is one around.

The size on the T-nut is 8-32 x 1/4 3 prong. You might have to clip the prongs if they are to long but with a little heat they set right into the Kydex for a great non slip hold. The bolts are 8-32 X 3/8 or 1/2 or 5/8 Flat Socket Cap Screws / Coarse / Alloy Steel / Black Oxide which have a allen wrench head. These can be found at 8-32 X 3/8 Flat Socket Cap Screws / Coarse / Alloy Steel / Black Oxide - Fastener SuperStore, Inc.

T-nuts 8-32 X 1/4 3 Prong Tee Nuts / Steel / Zinc - Fastener SuperStore, Inc.

Washers 10 Countersunk Finishing Washers / Steel / Black Oxide - Fastener SuperStore, Inc.

The prices and quantity on this site are high but it gives you a starting point.

I find $ at McMaster-Carr better..

And for loops with snaps I like IWB Loops - Leather (10-12oz) - Black - (inside the waist band)

And I do use the Chicago screws from Knifekits with a piece of 1/8 inch washer fluid hose for the rubber washer...

Funny to see how many ways people do the same thing
    “Dollars and guns are no substitutes for brains and will power” Dwight D Eisenhower

Here are some of my holsters........

Awesome!

Thanks again for the great advice and pics!

DCS

Sponsored Links