Just ordered my first custom holster

This is a discussion on Just ordered my first custom holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just placed an order with Rafters Gunleather for an OTW holster for my Ruger Sp101. After much searching I found that the options for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just ordered my first custom holster

Just ordered my first custom holster

I just placed an order with Rafters Gunleather for an OTW holster for my Ruger Sp101. After much searching I found that the options for 101's with 3-1/16" barrells were few and far between. Tried to contact some other makers but I simply need a holster faster than 3 to 6 months. I ordered brown sharkskin with a shield to keep hammer from biting my "lovehandles". Its in the pattern of a speed scabbard such as Bruce Nelson's original design. The folks at Rafter's have answered all my questions and been very helpful so far, plus an expected delivery of about 3 weeks is sweet!!! Sorry to be rambling on, this is just my 1st made to order holster. I've primarily used leather from Don Hume, which is a fine product for the price, but I'm stoked about this new acquisition!!

2. Remove Ads

Membership Revoked Array HappyGunner's Avatar
    You will be happy with their service.

Custom Holster = Happy Customer!

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Thanks for the encouraging words Happy, always have wanted a nice rig made of something other than cowhide, I debated a long time between IWB and OWB. I've always carried Glocks and 1911's in the past, primarily IWB, this will be my first revolver as a carry gun. Even though the SP101 is a 5 shot and relatively thin for a revovlver, I opted OWB for comfort's sake, if I like the first holster I can always get an IWB for later, though with IWB I would opt for cowhide seeing how it's primarily hidden anyway.

Assistant Administrator
    rycher - hopefully you will find OWB way more comfortable - and as long as cover options adequate - it should stay that way.

Custom leather is, as we mostly find - superior in most respects and worth the cost.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

You guys are making me feel better about my decision. You're correct P95, I use to use a cheap Uncle Mikes Kydex in IDPA and it was way more comfortable, just always seemed easier to carry IWB with slightly oversize T's in summer, I do need to plan out my wardrobe abit better for maximum concealment when I start using this new rig.

rycher,

You'll be very happy with the holster from Rafter S. I've talked with a number of people who have their holsters and/or belts, and have not heard any negative reports about them. IMO, custom work shows pride of ownership, both of the gun and the holster. Rafter S pricing allows for a lot more people to do that, even with the exotic skins.

You've definitely made a good choice.

Once you go custom - you will never go back!! I tried several (ok ok more than several) custom guys until I found K & D Holsters. Kevins got me hooked. My wife said no more guns for awhile - she didn't say no more holsters!!!

K-Man, It's very refreshing to see someone pay "the other guy" a compliment. I was actually very impressed with what I had heard and seen of K&D holsters, but like I said I really needed this holster fairly quick. Kevin, watch those "loopholes" your wife misses. I've tried that thinking with my better half only to find her using a similar logic to "get back" at me for my purchases. LOL.

Holster, and a like accessorys, can be as enticing as the guns them selfs. Good thing, even the more expensive ones are not as bad as the guns.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Quote Originally Posted by rycher
    Kevin, watch those "loopholes" your wife misses. I've tried that thinking with my better half only to find her using a similar logic to "get back" at me for my purchases. LOL.

where did that new car come from....

Actually she uses the ol' "What I buy is for the home" to try to make me feel guilty about my purchases. My usual response is " How much Home Interior crap can you squeeze onto one wall?"

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Buying quality holsters is addictive. I do not need any holsters, and have at least one from a top craftsman for each of my carry guns.

But I do not have one of Lou's holsters, and I want one. I hate to buy a gun just to need a holster. Maybe in time I will find a need. I think that if he had a website I would probably have ordered one in the past.

I have never seen one of his current holsters. I say that because I have one that I bought at a gun show years ago. I probably paid less than $5. It is obviously one of his very early holsters, and does not compare with what I see in photos today.

Now, let's see what I might need, or just want.

Jerry

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryM
    Buying quality holsters is addictive. I do not need any holsters, and have at least one from a top craftsman for each of my carry guns.

But I do not have one of Lou's holsters, and I want one. I hate to buy a gun just to need a holster. Maybe in time I will find a need. I think that if he had a website I would probably have ordered one in the past.

I have never seen one of his current holsters. I say that because I have one that I bought at a gun show years ago. I probably paid less than $5. It is obviously one of his very early holsters, and does not compare with what I see in photos today.

Now, let's see what I might need, or just want.

Jerry
    Yes and lots cheaper than buying the pistols that go in them. Got Andrews Leather, Eric is working on one for me, going to get in touch with Gary, and there are more that I want. Wish I had went this way when I first started carrying.

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    When we first started carrying most of us didn't know the options that were there for us. After going with a custom maker you find out that these guys know their business and are there to help you find what works for you. Then you start looking at the quality of the work and soon you want several more to try out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links