Ankle Holster BUG users inside please:

This is a discussion on Ankle Holster BUG users inside please: within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How do you wear your ankle holster? 1. Right around the ankle? 2. Higher up (calf area)? I wear mine up a little higher in ...

Thread: Ankle Holster BUG users inside please:

Ankle Holster BUG users inside please:

How do you wear your ankle holster?

1. Right around the ankle?

2. Higher up (calf area)?

I wear mine up a little higher in my mid calf area. Dis-advantage obviously a longer draw, but more security if ankle area comes exposed ( I cross both legs frequently.)

J
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

2. Remove Ads

I wear mine low on the ankle and I don't cross my legs.

There is a natural "hollow" that the barrel sits in that makes the Ankle Holster comfortable for me to wear. The drawback is, I can't cross my legs, but you shouldn't be doing that anyways for a number of reasons. One of them being, it inhibits blood flow to the lower extremeties. Another reason is, it is tactically unsound.

There is an old saying about keeping both feet on the ground.

Biker

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    I carry my DeSantis around the ankle. It has a support strap that fits right below the knee. Its for my 340ct and I'm careful about crossing my legs.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post

There is a natural "hollow" that the barrel sits in that makes the Ankle Holster comfortable for me to wear. The drawback is, I can't cross my legs, but you shouldn't be doing that anyways for a number of reasons. One of them being, it inhibits blood flow to the lower extremeties. Another reason is, it is tactically unsound.

Biker
    +1 on that, good post. Wearing dark socks and covering the bottom end of the holster helps to camouflage the bump too if your pant leg rides up here and there.
    Glock 26 4gen, H&K USPc, S&W 642, Wilson Combat 1911 CQB

I use a renegade with my 442 smith. I wear it low but the barrel is behind the ankle, right behind the bump. I find this to be the most comfortable place to carry it for any period of time.
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

I also carry around the ankle. Like someone else mentioned, cover the bottom of the holster with the sock for better concealment. I am always conscious of it being there, which helps me avoid accidental exposure from crossing my legs or the pants leg riding up when seated.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

I wear it low. I pull the top of the sock around the bottom of the holster. Also I wear longer pants or boot cut jeans. I can cross my legs without anyone the wiser.
    Wreck'em Tech! Go Red Raiders!

I have the Signess!

Sig Sauer P225 Montage Suisse / Sig Sauer P238 / Sig Sauer P226 9mm CPO / S&W M&P9c

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    I wear my Alessi's right above the top of my boots which is 6 inches off the floor, just above the ankle. Comfortable and easy draw. With "regular" shoes, again just above ankle.

low ride for me with normal shoes. a little higher with high top shoes. many mango season ago (1990) i had an upside down ankle holster for my model 36 that went on the calf area. it was a black hawk holster, it was a good one. it put the butt of the gun just at the top of the ankle. easy to get the gun out. did not have to pull up my pants leg to draw the gun.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post

Biker
    There's a third reason, it's not good for your back (throws your hips out of alignment).

(From someone with a long time chronic bad back)

(background story: live in israel, can only carry one handgun, and officialy no knifes)

I used to carry my gun on my ankle and carry a knife in my front pocket. figured it will make a good SD combination.

Stop doing that when i saw a video on TV of a man beaten by a bunch of arabs and how long it took him to draw and shoot from a belt holster.

Since then - if i carry a gun, i carry it so i can use it. no more ankle holster. Belt / fannypack only.

Imagine yourself in a fight with two "friendly" arab workers with a big iron chain and/or knife. imagine yourself walking down the street when a car speeds towards you and try to run you down and/or shoot you through the window.

I have 2 black belts and a few years experience in full contact competition, and i tell you, i dont feel safe enough with an ankle holster. not even with a knife in my pocket like i used to do.

just a word of warning - hope you will benefit from it.

Links