Bulge question? - Page 3

Bulge question?

This is a discussion on Bulge question? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by TerriLi I dont mean to seem like a jerk, but its called a Concealed Carry. a buldge is a print, and that ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bulge question?

Quote Originally Posted by TerriLi View Post
    I dont mean to seem like a jerk, but its called a Concealed Carry. a buldge is a print, and that gets attention.
    Sorry but I disagree. A buldge is a buldge. The general public has no idea and doesnt care. They have no SA to speak of. I wear a gun everyday on my hip and I can surely see the buldge. My wife can see it too. The general public doesnt notice.

I cover it with a T-Shirt. Ive not been asked what is on my hip yet. If I am Ill tell em its an adrenaline pump. Dont know about Florida but I do know that printing isnt illegal in SC. It does have to be concealed.

Ive see your videos and you are very thin. Maybe it will print on you with a large gun.

I dont understand why folks are not carrying smaller guns. There are plenty out there that will do the job and conceal well.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Most of us can only afford the one? I only own a Sig P220, Mossberg 88, Savage 64, and a Lilchamp .22. If you notice I only own one high value weapon, literally all of my other weapons combined dont equal my Sigs value. I also didnt spend what the Sig is worth, all my weapons were bought for half their value.

I dont understand why folks are not carrying smaller guns. There are plenty out there that will do the job and conceal well.
    I can't speak for everyone in this forum, but I will tell you why I, and only I, prefer to carry a larger gun concealed.

The middle of a gunfight is not the time to be wishing you had your larger gun. The better sighting plane, recoil control and general overall "shootability" is why I prefer a larger gun.

Small guns make good BUG's but I don't carry them as a "primary".

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    I can't speak for everyone in this forum, but I will tell you why I, and only I, prefer to carry a larger gun concealed.

The middle of a gunfight is not the time to be wishing you had your larger gun. The better sighting plane, recoil control and general overall "shootability" is why I prefer a larger gun.

Small guns make good BUG's but I don't carry them as a "primary".

Biker
    If it works for you and you can conceal it then fine. Im not arguing the size of the gun but rather its concealability. Much like the 3-C's that were mentioned.

I am not outgunned because I carry a P11. Not in the least.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Like another poster, I started buying print shirts and T-shirts in XXL instead of XL, also, if possible, I let my print shirts hang out...problem solved.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by TerriLi View Post
    I dont mean to seem like a jerk, but its called a Concealed Carry. a buldge is a print, and that gets attention.
    That's true but most people don't notice. Especially since so many people are carrying cell phones on their belt and many of them have a bulge under an untucked shirt. Hard to distinguish the bulge of a cell phone from a weapon unless the shirt is tight and prints the outline of if the shirt is a very light color and the weapon can be seen through it.
    NRA life member.

Similar Height and Weight

Quote Originally Posted by wine6978 View Post
    I just got my Kholster today and have some questions. I think I have found the place the holster is most comfortable, I know it will take wearing to be sure. My only problem is there is a big ol bulge where my gun is. It is a sig 229, I am 5' 11" about 215lbs trying to drop LBS. Is this gun just to big for IWB, or is there something I need to do different in the way I dress. I normally wear jeans and a button up shirt tucked in.

Any suggestions would help me out alot, or if this is something I just need to get used to let me know!!

O and when I say a bulge it looks like I have a baseball in my belt line. I dunno it may just be me. Ill post pics in a bit!!

Does it look weird or is it just me?
    Last October I was 235 LBs. Height is between 5'10" and 5'11". I am now down to 193 (Yeah!) with a target of 185. I have an IWB from Tucker and a gun belt from Beltman that I ordered when I was at 205 LBs. I planned for my weight loss when I ordered. If I get all the way down to 185 I might have to order a 2nd, shorter belt.

The weight loss that I went through means that pants that were too tight before (42" waist) are now only slightly large when I wear my gun. I carry a Glock 23 -- it is a compaq, but not a subcompaq. Gun width is 1.18 inches. Gun height is 5 inches. I believe your Sig is 5.4 inches by 1.5 inches, so yours is slightly bigger (nice gun BTW!!!).

My IWB is designed as a tuckable and that is how I use it. I wear two shirts. One is a thin, standard t-shirt. The top is a 65/35 poly-cotton blend like you can find at Walmart. Thicker shirts for warmer weather. I wear the t-shirt because I am more comfortable than with the holster up against my skin. The tee also reduces sweat stains on the outer shirt, which can reveal things too.

The holster position I use is about 4:00 -- just behind the hip bone but not to far to reach with my left hand (you will see why in a minute). My Tucker holster is designed for a full FBI cant, but I actually found that uncomfortable. The gun handle was closer to vertical than horizontal and with the curve of the belt and the hip that meant that the handle poked me in the side. I reduced the cant by taking the forward holster clip and moving it one position.

The thin top shirt is tucked in. But I have it bloused a little over the gun. This helps hide the print. But it is also important for my draw. To draw I reach across my body with my left hand and grab the loose part of the shirt upward hard. (If I have to do it for real I''ll probably rip the shirt but so what...). As the shirt is coming out the right hand is grabbing the gun handle -- making sure to key the trigger finger in the index position on the bottom of the slide and not in the trigger guard until the gun is out and extended. In practice I usually draw and fire within 4 seconds -- sometimes faster. (No doubt I will improve with practice).

So -- I have been at this far less than others on this forum. But this seems to work for me. I have only had my CHL for a few days. But I work in an office at my ranch, so I have been practicing wearing my holster and getting the position and clothing right for about 2 months. My wife and daughter know I have been doing this -- but they usually can not tell when I am or am not wearing my gun unless they check to see which hole my belt buckle is through. In my huge public carry (all of 5 days now ) I have had zero problems. I work with computers, so I sit most of the day. But I also work with my horses on the ranch. The position I have found is comfortable sitting in a chair and in a car and also standing and walking. The gun is secure, and nobody knows (or cares).

Keep up the work on the weight. Patience, exercise, self-control, and lots of water are the keys there. As to hiding the gun, try different positions from 2:00 to 5:00 and different cants till you find what works for you. If you want to tuck, tuck. But blouse the shirt some to hide the gun a little and give you a nice "pull" handle. And then relax. If anybody "makes" you (and that is pretty rare -- people really don't pay attention) just pull out your license if you have to. Otherwise if they ask you why you are carrying a gun just tell them that it is your natural God-given right to defend yourself and our bill of rights guarantees that right. And of course -- that most cops are just too heavy to carry.

Oh -- and the folks on this forum are absolutely top notch with great advice.

Here are some pics of what mine looks like. If you want to see a pic of me at 235 lbs (not for the faint of heart) send me a PM.
    Attached Images
    ....a politically incorrect right-wing fiscally-conservative libertarian NRA card-carrying gun-toting self-sufficient gainfully-employed Bible-believing church-going fundamentalist evangelical Christian. Perhaps you should avoid my company. I might contaminate you.

For me personally, carrying IWB just makes it so I don't have to wear a long cover shirt or jacket since most of the gun is inside my pants. When I try to tuck a dress shirt or something over it there is always a noticeable bulge. Wearing it more behind my hip helps, but then there's the problem of a bad print if I bend forward at all. Being a skinny guy really doesn't help either!

los
    Quote Originally Posted by AllAmerican View Post
    ...Sorry but I disagree. A buldge is a buldge. The general public has no idea and doesnt care....
    I most definitely concur..!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

+1 on what other have said even if there is a slight bulge so what? Trust me no one other then maybe another permit holder might notice. I say move the your gun around unitl it prints the least and don't sweat it. Are you new to concealed carry? I know when I got my permit and started carrying 9 years ago I was very nervous someone would notice.

But believe me and others here 99% of people are in condition white today,they are so wrapped up their own daily lives and problems they wouldn't notice a dead chimp hanging from your hip. Even is there is a bulge,if its even noticed most non ccw/gun people will assume its a blackberry,or other type of cell phone or mobile device.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    I personally like the Smartcarry. It's the most comfortable holster I've ever owned. (The other being a shoulder holster.) I also have a "Supertuck".

But like other posters have said; with and IWB holster, there is going to be a bulge. A size bigger pants will help as well as oversized shirts. But for my money, no holster has been as comfortable or more concealable that the "Smartcarry".

Bulge a problem?

You might consider wearing slacks that are a size larger than you are used to wearing. It might help cover up a little better. If you are really freaked about having your weapon print on the clothes that you are wearing, then by all means SmartCarry is the way to go. Total concealment, and ease of drawing the weapon when needed.
    good luck.
    gabe

Try a ClipDraw, it's a lot thinner than any holster.

Bulge Question

I carry a PT 145, and for being a compact it's still a big gun. I have a IWB WRB brand nylon holster, yes it's a cheap holster but it's light. I'm 6 ft 260 pounds, my gun sticks out further than yours. Mine works best at 4 'clock. For days when I wear a jacket I have an Fobus paddle holster. I also carry a S&W Airlight 38 at my ankle, again just a WRB nylon. I can barely tell it's there. This might be an option. About printing, Oklahoma is very strict. I've had my CCW for about three weeks now and for the first time today I accidently exposed the gun at Home Depot, I know the lady saw it from her expression. She didn't run in terror. I saw her again several times while I was shopping. I might have been just lucky but I think most people know. I also ask my wife if she can see it, she has never said yes. I think carry with pride and if confronted deal with the situation. In Oklahoma out of over 75,000 permits only about 85 have been revoked, most due to not telling the officer at a traffic stop your are in possession of a CCW which we are required to do anytime we come in contact with law enforcement. Most revoked stemmed from DUI or DWI.

Good answer!!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links