Summer Special II

This is a discussion on Summer Special II within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just wanted to take a moment and thank the guys at Milt Sparks for the great Holster I got today. The backside is stamped ...

Thread: Summer Special II

Summer Special II

I just wanted to take a moment and thank the guys at Milt Sparks for the great Holster I got today.

The backside is stamped "SK" for the maker. I paired it with a Bruce Gibson Belt and an IWB Double Mag Pouch that I got from a member of a High Power forum. The Mag Pouch is also a Milt Sparks product.

The Holster had a severely tight fit, but 100 draws later it was good to go. No wrapping the gun in plastic necessary. The color is even throughout and a rich deep cordovan. The inside of the Holster, as I ordered it "smooth out", is waxed to perfection. The Sight Track is as it should be, and leaves no "gob" of leather on my Front Sight when I draw. The boning and stitching are uniform, with no imperfections noted. The metal reinforced mouthband aides in reholstering. I will be taking this Holster and gun to L.F.I. next month. To the gang at Milt Sparks, one very big THANK YOU.

I also have a Watch Six for my High Power, also made by "SK", but for Range Days I will be using the Summer Special II, as I like the metal reinforced mouthband. The Watch Six spreads the weight out on the belt a little better, but doesn't have the reinforced mouthband. The Versa Max, IIRC, places the gun higher than the Watch Six or the Summer Special II, so it was not an option for me.

BTW: I got the Watch Six from KPW here on the forum. Thank you sir, as it was just what I needed.

To those of you that are considering Milt Sparks, do it. You will be getting a first class holster from a company that knows how to estimate their delivery times accurately. That is my biggest "pet peeve" about holster makers. The six month wait will be worth it, and I will be ordering again from them in the future.

Biker

2. Remove Ads

kpw
    Happy to hear you like it. They are comfy and I prefer them to the VM II.

Biker,
    Thanks
    Any pictures?

OD*
    Congratulations, the Sparks folks make some wonderful products.

I've been using a Watch Six with a 1911 for a little over a year now, never had the non-reinforced mouth collapse yet, it's been an excellent holster.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

i think my summer special2 is the best hilster i own.

Quote Originally Posted by eldorado View Post
    Biker,
    Thanks
    Any pictures?
    el,

I can take a PIC, but can't post it. For some reason my old, slow computer don't like the photo hosting sites and won't upload or download from there.

I can take a PIC and send it in an Email, but that's it.

Biker

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by eldorado View Post
    Biker,
    Thanks
    Any pictures?
    Just go to the Milt Sparks web site.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Biker, I must agree the Sparks SSII is a great Holster. After seeing this thread I decided to order one for my duty glock 17. Luckily brownells had them in stock and I got it in just 2 days. It is a beautiful holster and I like how the sweat guard is just enough to protect your body, but not to interfere with drawing. I am glad your post got me interested.
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

Hello all.

I just wanted to give an update on the Summer Special II after using it for a week at LFI 1.

I used this holster as my concealed carry holster, to and from the Range, and drew and fired all of my draws and shots from concealment over the five days of LFI. There were multiple draws and reholsters during this course.

I feel that the reinforced mouthband was an aide in fast presentation and reholstering. There are few things worse than trying to "wedge" a gun in to a Holster multiple times in an hour or two. I feel the "wedge" technique may be fine for someone having to draw their gun once a week, but not for twenty or more draws in an hour, or less.

I found the holster to position the gun in the proper location for me. YMMV with this, as our bodies are different by varying degrees. Combined with the Bruce Gibson Belt I use off duty I found that I had a very stable and secure platform in which to work from.

I am back to using my Watch Six, as it is a little thinner, and I'm not doing multiple draws at home, or on the street. If I draw from the Watch Six, it most likely will be for real. One of the things I like about the Summer Special II is the ease of changing the Belt Loops, so I can wear different width Belts.

Both the Watch Six and the Summer Special II are good holsters, and I would have no hesitation in using either one, but if I could have only one it would be the Summer Special II for it's overall versatility.

If anyone is considering either of these two holsters I hope that my post helps. Feel free to PM me if you want and think I can help with a question. I have no connection to Milt Sparks beyond being a multiple time satisfied customer.

Take care and stay safe.

Biker

Biker, good points. Every firearm that I carry gets to "ride" in a Sparks or Del Fatti holster. I know there are other great makers out there, but I have used these two maker's products for years and am completely pleased with them
    NRA life member.

Links