Raven Phantom LC review (with pics)

This is a discussion on Raven Phantom LC review (with pics) within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The nice postman (post-person?) just dropped off my new Phantom LC (light carrier) from Raven Concealment Systems. I've heard nothing but good reviews on the ...

Thread: Raven Phantom LC review (with pics)

Raven Phantom LC review (with pics)

The nice postman (post-person?) just dropped off my new Phantom LC (light carrier) from Raven Concealment Systems. I've heard nothing but good reviews on the products from this company and have had a chance to handle a few of their holsters. That being the case, when I needed a holster to accommodate a Glock with a rail-mounted light/laser, they were the company I decided to go with.

Initial impressions are very favorable. The holster is not equipped with any active retention devices but the holster is so well molded that it retains the weapon extremely well. In fact, the first several drawstrokes required a serious "yank" to get the pistol out of the holster. After a few drawstrokes, it smoothed out to the point where it's not difficult at all. Even so, I don't think there's any chance of the pistol falling out of the holster at an inopportune moment (as if there's ever an opportune moment for a pistol to fall out of the holster...).

Despite the positive retention and "well built" feel of the holster, the kydex is extremely thin with minimal bulk. This serves to make for a very concealable package that does a good job of hugging the body to reduce printing.

The really cool thing about this holster is that with its modular design, there are a variety of options for carry. For OWB the default attachment method is just "normal" belt loops. Other options include a paddle, soft-loops, and "pancake wings." For IWB there are even more choices. You can pick from soft-loops mounted directly to the holster or offset by means of little "tabs" that attach to the holster body (the soft-loops are of the "pull-the-dot" variety). You also have the option of J-hooks (either standard, tuckable, or offset tuckable), C-hooks (either tuckable, or offset tuckable), Overhooks (standard or tuckable), and offset tuckable velcro hooks. I'm probably leaving something out...suffice it to say that if you can't find a way to wear this thing that you like, you're probably impossible to please. To my knowledge, Raven also has a drop-leg platform in the works that will be compatible with the Phantom. By buying one holster body and a variety of mounting hardware, you can go from OWB to IWB to a drop-leg rig as needed just by changing a few things around...pretty slick.

Here we see the holster in its standard configuration with OWB loops. As you can see, the holster carries the gun high and very close to the body. A baggy shirt would be sufficient to conceal it effectively.

Here we have the holster set up for IWB carry using soft loops. Once again, the holster is very tight to the body. Even with a light hanging off the gun, it's doesn't really feel that bulky...this mode of carry is very comfortable. I will add that I just stuck the IWB loops on there to try them out. There are five different positions on each loop as well as a few different holes on the holster body. This gives you the ability to adjust cant and ride-height to your liking.

Here's a close-up of the holster with the IWB loops. Notice the detail of the holster molding.

And one showing the back of the holster and the OWB loops.

As a final comment, I'll add that I've heard nothing but good things about their customer service. Their response when I contacted them with some questions was very quick and they even e-mailed me when the order shipped so I'd know to expect it.

They make the Phantom for pistols with or w/o a light. From looking around, it looks like they offer about the largest selection when it comes to gun/light combinations. They also offer the excellent ACR (appendix carry rig) if you like that method of carry.

To see their producs and to order, go here:
    The Malabar Front
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

2. Remove Ads

Thats bad ass! congrats

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    I ordered one for my Rock River 1911 w/rail and it arrrived yesterday. I am not a big fab of kydex by an means but the Raven may change my mind! Very comfortable and conceals great. I thought it would be pretty bulky with the light attached (Insight Pryocon) but not at all. Wore it for a few hour last night and was impressed. Retention is absolute and holstering while wearing is a challenge now but I'm sure it will loosen up with use. The Malabar Front (dealer) was great to deal with and kept me updated throughout the order process. Took about 25 days to get and was originally quoted 40. Overalll, it's a great rig for a gun with light attached and the available options allow you to make it an IWB with loops, velcro, C clips, J clips or a paddle rig. I give it a 9 out of 10 and coming from me a dedicated leather freak thats a true compliment!!

Do you have any pictures with a shirt pulled over it.
    It looks hugemongous to me but I am a CC noob.

Their stuff especially their OWBs look sooo big and uncomfortable. There are so many other kydex holsters out there that look more sleek and comfortable.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenHorn View Post
    Do you have any pictures with a shirt pulled over it.
    It looks hugemongous to me but I am a CC noob.
    I do some when I have a chance...probably later tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75
    Their stuff especially their OWBs look sooo big and uncomfortable. There are so many other kydex holsters out there that look more sleek and comfortable.
    It does appear that way, but compared to something like the Blade-tech, there really is no comparison...you almost don't know you're wearing this one.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

okay, here's the pics of it concealed. These were done with a G17 with the holster in the OWB configuration. I'm just wearing one of my "normal" sized shirts (not upsized for more concealment).

As you can see, it works pretty well, If I was going to carry it in the OWB mode on a regular basis, I might use a larger shirt or add a vest (or something else with heavier material) but it does okay like this. In the IWB configuration it works even better (obviously).

Matt K.

Talking Raven Concealment

I first bought a Phantom for my Kimber PC, it's now my only holster. Sold off everything except my 2 phantoms (1 4" & 1 5")......That's how much I like Raven Concealment. Modular attachments for any type of carry. Very versatile.

Best regards,
    Joseph

How does the Kydex feel against bare skin? Do you have to wear an undershirt all the time if you have it IWB. I like the holster, but I've worn my old mans crossbreed and loved it.

Has it rubbed you raw if you have used it without an undershirt?

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    A comment was made about the Raven being "big and uncomfortable". Granted it is but it's very comfortable and conceals well even with a Govt model 1911 w/light attached and thats no small task. These rigs are very well built and compared side by side with a BladeTech or CompTac, they put them to shame in terms of quality. They may cost a bit more but it will be money well spent as the Ravens are built to last.

Quote Originally Posted by torrejon224 View Post
    A comment was made about the Raven being "big and uncomfortable". Granted it is but it's very comfortable and conceals well even with a Govt model 1911 w/light attached and thats no small task. These rigs are very well built and compared side by side with a BladeTech or CompTac, they put them to shame in terms of quality. They may cost a bit more but it will be money well spent as the Ravens are built to last.

...dang Mike, and you couldn't tell me all this before I sold my Raven Phantom, yesterday?

. You know I'm playing but your right, Ravens are probably the BEST kydex holsters in the market today. The ONLY reason why I sold mine is because I just picked up a LIKE NEW Milt Sparks NP-1 for my HK USPC
    SA EMP ~ Sig P232s ~ Walther PP ~ Makarov ~ S&W 442 ~ Ruger LCP
    HK USP Compact ~ HK P2000sk ~ RIA Tactical ~ FN Hi-Power ~ Sig GSR C3

Looks more comfortable OWB than IWB, but more concealable vice versa..

Links