Is there something wrong with me?

This is a discussion on Is there something wrong with me? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Am I just strange? So many people say that the ONLY way to carry is IWB, but I have never been comfortable with this. I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there something wrong with me?

VIP Member

Am I just strange? So many people say that the ONLY way to carry is IWB, but I have never been comfortable with this. I am much more comfortable with OWB. (BTW- Yes, I do use a proper gunbelt/holster.)

I'll just get along with long shirts and jackets I guess.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    It all depends on the holster. Some are comfortable, some are not.

We're not too far apart, RoadRunner. I'm in Davison, about 60 miles E of Lansing.

To answer your question, I think picking out a holster is all about compromise. Just like selecting the perfect firearm (there isn't one, is there?), we settle for the ideal combination of size, concealability, caliber, cost etc. and find the one that works best for us.

I have tried a few IWB holsters on in gun stores but, like you, they just don't feel quite right to me. However, when I tried on an OWB holster, it just felt awesome. But... I would not feel comfortable wearing one to work due to the lower level of concealability it offers me. I wear a suit or sportcoat to work every day and would not feel comfortable with an OWB holster due to the potential for a wardrobe mishap (suitcoat blowing open on a windy day, etc) so I settled on an IWB as a compromise between comfort and concealability.

I should state that I am a CPL applicant and have not yet carried so I am giving you some very premature impressions. I imagine that I will pick up an OWB to wear with more casual clothes after work and on the weekends.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pure Kustom View Post
    It all depends on the holster. Some are comfortable, some are not.
    Agreed ...

Personally, I have several OWB's that are uncomfortable. I primarily carry IWB and have found that this is what works best for me. To each his own.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Do you let other people pick your underwear? Thats my thinking when it comes to holsters, you have to wear it, so make sure its comfortable to you.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    Am I just strange? So many people say that the ONLY way to carry is IWB, but I have never been comfortable with this. I am much more comfortable with OWB. (BTW- Yes, I do use a proper gunbelt/holster.)

I'll just get along with long shirts and jackets I guess.
    You are not strange. Many people prefer OWB. I tend to prefer OWB myself but will use an IWB holster at times depending on the clothing I'm wearing. It's just a personal choice.

VIP Member
    Do you let other people pick your underwear?
    LOL!!!
    Not in a lot of decades!

My main dislike with IWB is just having something that large behind my belt. I have used cheap holters and expensive holsters. Nothing changes the fact that they are only comfortable standing up. Sitting, working, just living life, to me,is uncomfortable carrying IWB.

I don't want you to think I'm whining about it. I just wondered if anyone else felt this way.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

I hated IWB UNTIL I found the right holster. For me a SuperTuck is the best thing going. It's all about choice and comfort. There is something out there for you, you just have to find it!!
    God Bless America!!

A half inch difference in placement can make a huge difference in comfort. You've just gotta find the right combination of holster and position.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I have both IWB and OWB. I use both. visit Don Hume Leathergoods, manufactures high quality leather and nylon goods. works for me.
    Save a Greyhound. Adopt one.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    I also find OWB more comfortable. However I do carry IWB more often. I feel it is easier to to conceal IWB. I have some very fine holsters and belts so it is not an equipment issue. It is simply a choice. I have been carrying OWB today with a Laredo Defender from K&D and almost forgot it was there. But do remember that it is always a compromise when it comes to carrying. So don't give up on IWB, try some different holster styles and locations. I am sure you can find a combination that will let you carry in comfort.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

I have enough trouble keeping my gut inside my waistband, let alone a 1911. And from what I can see in a quick survey at the local shopping mall, I ain't alone. So it's OTW for me.

kpw
    Your definately not alone there. I do not like IWB. I have found a few holsters that make it tolerable but I'll carry OWB anytime I can. I'm probably one of the few people that actually don't like the VM-II but I think the Watch-Six and similar designs are pretty good comfort-wise. I don't find IWB holsters that much more concealable, unless your tucking it. No thanks.

I just found this blog post the other day: Front Sight, Press Blog Archive Centerline Carry

I'm a total novice - been carrying about 10 days. After reading the post, I found the IWB "11 o'clock" position works well for me, but then again I'm 6', 170 lbs. If there was any padding on me, there wouldn't be room at 11 o'clock for the PF-9.

(In some pairs of trousers I can carry the PF-9 in my pocket.)

Administrator
    I only carry either OWB or occasionally in a shoulder rig.
    I don't even own an IWB rig.
    90+ percent of the time I carry OWB these days.
    It sure works for me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links