Belt question

Belt question

This is a discussion on Belt question within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been reading a lot about "gun belts" and I see that they look quite expensive at around $70 for the Beltman. It looks ...

Thread: Belt question

Belt question

I have been reading a lot about "gun belts" and I see that they look quite expensive at around $70 for the Beltman. It looks to be a quality product and a very stylish one at that. I was wondering if it is really that good to justify the price? I used to wear elcheapo belts at work, you know the $12 belts, not for carrying but just something to put a 2 way radio on. The humidity and environment would destroy these belts in 2-3 months tops. While on my honeymoon out west I bought a solid leather belt for $30. It is 1 1/2 wide, one piece, no defects and it is one heckofa sturdy piece of leather. Do people buy the $70 belts instead of the $30 one piece leather belts also because of the look so they can have a dress belt that is a gun belt also? Sorry about the long post.

VIP Member
    Gunbelts help distribute the weight of the weapon. This prevents sagging and greatly helps in concealing. Good quality belts will be double thickness and some even have internal stiffeners. Also, most of these quality belts are made of bull hide or horse hide which is tougher and more durable.

Google "gunbelts" and you will see a plethora of makers.

Good luck.
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

I believe they are worth it, will prob last a lifetime, so figure in a replacement cheap belt over time. I think the value is there.

I have three Beltman belts and they do not sag and are very well made, lots of support.

Administrator
    A good leather gun belt needs to have a tight enough and compact enough grain structure so that it stays stiff and does not go limp on you.

If you have a good stiff belt and its 1.5" wide then you should be "good to go" no matter if you spend $30 or $70.

Thank you for the replies. I checked my belt for felt stiffness across the 1.5 section and it feels very stiff, I can barely move it. But if I am in the need for a dressier belt in the future I will have to look into a Gunbelt.

If your belt is an "off the rack" belt and not double layered, I think you should consider a gun belt. A new standard belt may seem stiff, but it won't be for long. If you spend the money on a quality gun, and a quality holster, then a quality gun belt should be in order too. JMHO
    Jeff
    NRA Member
    Kimber Ultra Carry II, Glock G23 & G36, Kahr PM9, Winchester 1300 Defender 12gauge pump
    (my favorite but hard to hide)

When I first started carrying, my original setup was an m&p compact in a high-noon bare asset, on a Dickies belt purchased at walmart. I had absolutely no troubles carrying on the little dickies belt. It cost me 7 dollars or so and held that m&p quite comfortably. I now have a beltman with a k&d holster carrying a colt defender. Comparing the 2, I see the huge difference in quality of the dickies and the beltman. However, that little dickies is now a few years old, is still in my closet, still gets worn sometimes and still holds me edc up quite nicely. There are belts out there that will withstand a few years of daily carry without breaking the bank, but you can see and feel the difference. It may take you 6 or 7 different cheapo belts to find one that will work for you, but it will only take one beltman or other quality gunbelt.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsonabq View Post
    If your belt is an "off the rack" belt and not double layered, I think you should consider a gun belt. A new standard belt may seem stiff, but it won't be for long. If you spend the money on a quality gun, and a quality holster, then a quality gun belt should be in order too. JMHO
    The belt I am currently wearing was bought in a leather shop. It is only one layer but it is about 1/8" thick steer hide. The leather shop was in Wyoming I believe and employed a leather worker who also sold hand tooled boots, jackets, saddles, belts, etc.

Good belts can be found at cowboy type stores or farm and ranch stores. Cal Ranch, Inter Mountain farmers etc. Make sure they are double layered and stitched all the way around the perimeter of the belt. Most will be in the $30 dollar range. There is some difference in leather but not much, what makes a good belt over a bad belt is mostly leather thickness and # of layers. The belt I have on now came from Inter Mountain Farmers and I think made in China or some such. Its a good belt that has held up great.

I know a guy has got to make a living off what he sells but $70.00 for a belt is steep. There is probably $5 maybe $10 worth of leather in a good belt and $5.00 worth of thread, glue, die, and buckle. Not trying to discredit anyone here but I always see these expensive belts being pushed and the claim is they are way better then a Wal-Mart belt. Well ya a Wal-Mart belt is the bottom of the barrel belt but one dose not have to spend close to $100.00 on a good belt. If you have it go for it but rest assured there are belts out there that will work just fine and keep you out of the poor house.

Try SimplyRugged...they have very good quality gun belts that are a bit less expensive than Beltman.

Spending $70 on a belt for me was a good investment. As others have said the stability and support is much better especially if you carry a heavy gun. I have two beltman belts that I have used for years and they work great, look great, and still look pretty new. They will definitely last me a long time and that is one of the many benefits of them. Like you, I would go through regular belts pretty quick, even belts that cost $30 wear out fast. So really, over time I actually end up saving money. Beltman is good quality stuff. Hope this helps.
    Glock 26 4gen, H&K USPc, S&W 642, Wilson Combat 1911 CQB

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by muddy View Post
    Good belts can be found at cowboy type stores or farm and ranch stores. Cal Ranch, Inter Mountain farmers etc. Make sure they are double layered and stitched all the way around the perimeter of the belt. Most will be in the $30 dollar range. There is some difference in leather but not much, what makes a good belt over a bad belt is mostly leather thickness and # of layers. The belt I have on now came from Inter Mountain Farmers and I think made in China or some such. Its a good belt that has held up great.

I know a guy has got to make a living off what he sells but $70.00 for a belt is steep. There is probably $5 maybe $10 worth of leather in a good belt and $5.00 worth of thread, glue, die, and buckle. Not trying to discredit anyone here but I always see these expensive belts being pushed and the claim is they are way better then a Wal-Mart belt. Well ya a Wal-Mart belt is the bottom of the barrel belt but one dose not have to spend close to $100.00 on a good belt. If you have it go for it but rest assured there are belts out there that will work just fine and keep you out of the poor house.
    Until you've carried on a good belt, all day, every day for a while, you don't know what your missing. Those cheaper belts will get you by with a light gun and part-time carry. I see guys carrying on them all the time and watching them lift and fidget is always a dead giveaway.
    As far as the cost, I hope they are making money because they won't do it for long if they don't. Try making one yourself. It ain't as easy as it seems. All day comfort for $70 is cheap to me. There ain't no comparison between the good belts and the cheap ones. Ask me how I know.

Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    Until you've carried on a good belt, all day, every day for a while, you don't know what your missing. Those cheaper belts will get you by with a light gun and part-time carry. I see guys carrying on them all the time and watching them lift and fidget is always a dead giveaway.
    As far as the cost, I hope they are making money because they won't do it for long if they don't. Try making one yourself. It ain't as easy as it seems. All day comfort for $70 is cheap to me. There ain't no comparison between the good belts and the cheap ones. Ask me how I know.
    I am not trying to start a war i'm just saying. As for making belts myself I have and can. I even make holsters and a lot of other stuff. Don't tell anyone but I am a 40 year old male that can run a sewing machine. As for my carry I do carry a light weapon but I carry all the time and my belt has held up great. I have had expensive belts which if you really use a belt it will not last a life time especially in the woods with a logger tape hanging off one side and a hatchet and bore off the other and then there is the weight gain or loss that can mean a new belt.

I fully under stand you get what you pay for but you also pay for names, and hype if you are not carefull. Good belts are good I am just saying you do not need to spend $70.00 on a good belt. There are belts out there for a lot less that do just as good of job.

The pants I wear day in and day out have a few less belt loops then jeans or other pants. Which means my belt spans a greater distance between loops plus a 46" waist means the distance between my belt loops is even further. I have no butt so I wear suspenders to keep said pants up and tend to wear my belt a little loose so it doesn't cut into me. ( I know its hard to trust a man that wheres suspenders and a belt when he can't even trust his own pants to stay up. But my pants have a hard time staying up with just a belt or just suspenders when there is a weapon involved.) With all this extra unsupported area for my belt to sag you would think it would but it doesn't.

You said "I see guys carrying on them all the time and watching them lift and fidget is always a dead giveaway." Well this could have something to do with there belt or they could be like me and have no butt. When I get out of a car I have to lift my weapon back into position a inch or so, this is cause I have no butt and the weapon tends to ride down when I set. I can not get a belt tight enough to stop this.

So ask me how I know.

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by muddy View Post
    I am not trying to start a war i'm just saying. As for making belts myself I have and can. I even make holsters and a lot of other stuff. Don't tell anyone but I am a 40 year old male that can run a sewing machine. As for my carry I do carry a light weapon but I carry all the time and my belt has held up great. I have had expensive belts which if you really use a belt it will not last a life time especially in the woods with a logger tape hanging off one side and a hatchet and bore off the other and then there is the weight gain or loss that can mean a new belt.

I fully under stand you get what you pay for but you also pay for names, and hype if you are not carefull. Good belts are good I am just saying you do not need to spend $70.00 on a good belt. There are belts out there for a lot less that do just as good of job.

The pants I wear day in and day out have a few less belt loops then jeans or other pants. Which means my belt spans a greater distance between loops plus a 46" waist means the distance between my belt loops is even further. I have no butt so I wear suspenders to keep said pants up and tend to wear my belt a little loose so it doesn't cut into me. ( I know its hard to trust a man that wheres suspenders and a belt when he can't even trust his own pants to stay up. But my pants have a hard time staying up with just a belt or just suspenders when there is a weapon involved.) With all this extra unsupported area for my belt to sag you would think it would but it doesn't.

You said "I see guys carrying on them all the time and watching them lift and fidget is always a dead giveaway." Well this could have something to do with there belt or they could be like me and have no butt. When I get out of a car I have to lift my weapon back into position a inch or so, this is cause I have no butt and the weapon tends to ride down when I set. I can not get a belt tight enough to stop this.

So ask me how I know.
    Hey, no wars from me! I never considered the no butt thing. If you can make your own gun belts, your way ahead of me. My one and only attempt was a pretty ugly affair. I don't doubt there are belts on the market that will work for less. Most store brand or single layer belts may work for a short time but they will stretch and sag in time. Your situation, although not unique, isn't the norm. You found what works for you. Good deal.
    There are a bunch of good belts that work well for a lot less. I own a couple. I can't find any good quality, double thickness gun belts for substancially less than $70. If there was a source and they could make money doing it, I'd bet they'd have all the business they could handle...and then some. There's a business opportunity for ya!

Sponsored Links