Need to change things up

Need to change things up

This is a discussion on Need to change things up within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well with my new job starting next week I find that I am going to have to change things up a little. I will be ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need to change things up

Need to change things up

Well with my new job starting next week I find that I am going to have to change things up a little. I will be wearing slacks and having to tuck my shirt in now. I have a SuperTuck adn I LOVE it, but I carry a Sigma .40 and while getting dressed is an adventure due to the weight of the gun regular carry is fine.

The fun comes in when I hit the head, it's the getting dressed circus all over again.

Other than buying a new gun, looking in to that already, what are some tips others can give me that have gone from jeans and a untucked polo to slacks and a tucked shirt?

I am considering:
    1. New gun that is a bit smaller (compact Glock or maybe a compact 1911 if I can find one that won't break the bank)
    2. Belly Band
    3. Those expensive holster T-Shirts (not a favorite idea of mine)
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

"Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
    - P.J. O'Rourke, Civil Libertarian

- Nex ut Novus Universitas Ordo! -

The deep concealment rig looks nice, but I don't think I can get away with a smart carry with my Sigma, but it may help me meet some new people
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco

Senior Moderator
    I carry a Taurus PT-111 in my Smartcarry every day.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Senior Moderator
    You may not want to, or it may not be practical, but I use a vest, or jacket - they conceal about anything but one of my favorites - a Beretta 92FS - it's just soooo long.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

I have used a bellyband in the past. I put it up around my chest with the gun below my arm pit. It worked great with a dress shirt tucked in. Ankle holster works great for that too. (Except the accessability part). BTW, when I wear the belly band, I wear it over my under shirt, and most of the time I leave a button unbuttoned for quick gun access.

A chest band works well over a T shirt and under the dress shirt. But the thinnest gun you can find - and it won't be a Glock. I love my Glock, but carrying a brick in dress attire is difficult at best. I employ a Kel-Tec PF9 for this task. It is light, thin, a respectable round and capacity. You absolutely cannot make a sub Glock or anything that size "disappear" in dress attire unless one wears a jacket. But there are options.

The Kangaroo or deep concealment band works great. I carry either my Kahr PM45 or Sig P230 there and it's undetectable. It's also not umcomfortable if you keep it adjusted as loose as possible and still support the weight. I would not carry anything heavier than 20oz though or something fat like a Glock.

I've also take to carrying my Micro Desert Eagle in an Uncle Mikes #3 pocket holster in my front pocket. Disappears completely.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    I carry a full size 1911 and stoeger cougar 9mm in my smart carry and it is almost invisible. It doesn't work that well for me in the jeans I currently own, but is just fine in slacks. The jeans need a little more room in them. I do need to sit carefully in hard seats with the 1911 so that I don't make a thud.

#1 should not be an issue, as long you don't wear panties, as the door in drawers should keep you from having to untuck or even loosen the belt.

#2 is always an adventure, but should be less frequent.

I'm gonna give the Deep congealment holster a go, I'll report back how I like or dislike it later.

I'm still gonna try to find a way to get another pistol anyway, but this will be a good stop gap.

-Paco

I agree with onetuza's options of the SmartCarry or a shoulder holster. Since you seem to be leaning toward the shoulder holster, let me give a review of a couple I own, plus one I don't own:

The deep concealment shoulder holster Deep Concealment Shoulder Holster is quite functional, but I need to wear a t-shirt underneath it for comfort because the material is not comfortable next to skin. Maybe that's not an issue for you. One downside with my deep concealment shoulder holster is that the 13-round mags for my XD-45 won't stay in the mag holders. They are too top-heavy. When I bend over, the mag ends up in my sleeve. This holster is quick to put on and quick to adjust.

The kangaroo shoulder holster https://deepconceal.com/ is a more basic one. I've heard it can be worn directly on skin since it's made of cotton. I don't own one, but I like the idea of wearing one without a t-shirt in warmer weather. Unfortunately, the site only mentions using the holster for small and medium-sized guns.

The truss holster SpecGear TRUSS Holster Tactical Belly Band Undercover Weapon System Pictures and Features for Law Enforcement is a deep concealment holster on steroids. The truss crossdraw has an opposite cant when compared with the deep concealment holster, so one can hide a firearm with a larger grip than can be hid with the deep concealment. The truss I purchased has places for 4 mags vs. 2 with the deep concealment, and has velcro staps to hold the mags in place. My truss also has 2 cuff-size pockets and one flashlight or knife pocket. The truss is wider and heavier built since it has more pockets for stuff. It comes in a strongside draw or a crossdraw. (There are a few different configurations based on draw side and size, so not all have the exact same number of compartments.)

A possible downside to the truss in your environment is that it is thicker than the deep concealment. An accidental brush from someone might cause them to wonder what they bumped. The truss has 2 rows of velcro sewn on the outside, plus it is double thickness compared to the deep concealment single thickness.

Both have their place. The deep concealment is quicker to adjust since it fastens with velcro, although once I got my truss set up, I've never had to adjust it. Yes, the truss costs more.

If anyone bumps your shoulder holster or feels the strap across your back, you can tell them you like to wear your back brace in order to stay healthy.

As someone mentioned, thin guns are easier to conceal, but larger, thicker, and stiffer shirts also help conceal.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    I agree with onetuza's options of the SmartCarry or a shoulder holster. Since you seem to be leaning toward the shoulder holster, let me give a review of a couple I own, plus one I don't own:

The deep concealment shoulder holster Deep Concealment Shoulder Holster is quite functional, but I need to wear a t-shirt underneath it for comfort because the material is not comfortable next to skin. Maybe that's not an issue for you. One downside with my deep concealment shoulder holster is that the 13-round mags for my XD-45 won't stay in the mag holders. They are too top-heavy. When I bend over, the mag ends up in my sleeve. This holster is quick to put on and quick to adjust.

The kangaroo shoulder holster https://deepconceal.com/ is a more basic one. I've heard it can be worn directly on skin since it's made of cotton. I don't own one, but I like the idea of wearing one without a t-shirt in warmer weather. Unfortunately, the site only mentions using the holster for small and medium-sized guns.

The truss holster SpecGear TRUSS Holster Tactical Belly Band Undercover Weapon System Pictures and Features for Law Enforcement is a deep concealment holster on steroids. The truss crossdraw has an opposite cant when compared with the deep concealment holster, so one can hide a firearm with a larger grip than can be hid with the deep concealment. The truss I purchased has places for 4 mags vs. 2 with the deep concealment, and has velcro staps to hold the mags in place. My truss also has 2 cuff-size pockets and one flashlight or knife pocket. The truss is wider and heavier built since it has more pockets for stuff. It comes in a strongside draw or a crossdraw. (There are a few different configurations based on draw side and size, so not all have the exact same number of compartments.)

A possible downside to the truss in your environment is that it is thicker than the deep concealment. An accidental brush from someone might cause them to wonder what they bumped. The truss has 2 rows of velcro sewn on the outside, plus it is double thickness compared to the deep concealment single thickness.

Both have their place. The deep concealment is quicker to adjust since it fastens with velcro, although once I got my truss set up, I've never had to adjust it. Yes, the truss costs more.

If anyone bumps your shoulder holster or feels the strap across your back, you can tell them you like to wear your back brace in order to stay healthy.

As someone mentioned, thin guns are easier to conceal, but larger, thicker, and stiffer shirts also help conceal.

Good luck.
    Good assessment. Accessing one's firearm aside, for a sheer hassle free day, I have to vote for the Deep Concealment Shoulder Holster.
    While I vary my carry from this to smart carry to IWB or OWB depending on my outfit, with the Deep Concealment Shoulder Holster, it is a total non-issue when watering urinal cakes or bombing Pearl Harbor if you catch my metaphors ;-) It is also more accessible belted in the car. Not so with the Smart Carry.
    That being said, the Smart Carry seems a tad more comfortable. (Maybe it just feels more manly having a machine hanging over my junk rather than feeling like I'm wearing a bra! HA!)

What makes me mad is that we have to go through all these gymnastics and expense to covertly, and less effectively, exercise our God-given right to defend ourselves.
    "Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
    - P.J. O'Rourke, Civil Libertarian

- Nex ut Novus Universitas Ordo! -

That Truss holster looks slick. I hope one doesn't have to have pecs like that picture for it to fit right, 'cause I'm out on that one

Great reviews, thanks. I saw the kangaroo one and it looks cheap to me. I also always wear an undershirt, even under a T-Shirt, so the Deep Concealment holster won't bug me there.

One drawback I see to the Truss holster is I am a very hot natured person and that just adds a lot of extra material.

-Paco

has no one mentioned a pocket gun yet?

how about a pocket gun?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links