Tuckable.......yet tactical?

This is a discussion on Tuckable.......yet tactical? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I took the MI CPL course approximately one month ago and applied for my CPL at the same time. Since then, I have been researching ...

Thread: Tuckable.......yet tactical?

Tuckable.......yet tactical?

I took the MI CPL course approximately one month ago and applied for my CPL at the same time. Since then, I have been researching various methods of carrying and have settled on an IWB (HBE COM III) for my Glock 23. I began my search by reviewing the sticky at the top of this sub-forum where members have posted pics of their carry methods.

In that thread, I noticed several were carrying with an IWB tuckable holster and had their shirt tucked in over the gun. Now, I wear a suit or sportjacket five days per week and often remove my coat while I am in the office so at first this method seemed very appealing to me. However, as I got to thinking about being in a situation where I would actually need to draw my weapon, I became somewhat less enthused. This method of carry would seem to provide a tactical disadvantage as one must get the shirt out of the way before he/she is able to reach and draw his weapon. I could envision any number of bad things occuring during a high-stress draw with this type of carry holster.

Now, I am most certainly not being critical of anyone who utilizes this particular method of carry. I would like to hear from you in order to learn if you have encountered any difficulties drawing like this and if not, how do you avoid them? Anyone else had thoughts similar to mine?

2. Remove Ads

I doubt that this is a satisfactory answer to your questions. But I will tell you of my methods and experience.

I wear under a sport coat. My holster is tuckable. But I usually don't tuck when wearing the coat. I either tuck the shirt behind the gun making it a regular IWB carry - or I leave an untucked "tag" over the gun that can be lifted fairly easily. If I am likely to remain jacketed I will tuck it in all the way.

If I take my jacket off I have an option. I can simply leave an unbloused tag (looks a little sloppy) OR I can cover the gun with the tag as per the fully "tuckable" feature.

It's slower, of course, to draw from a full tuck than it is from a fully bloused or a "tag" carry. I don't fully tuck unless required by the rare instance of having to take off my jacket in a situation when the "sloppy" tag wont do.

With any holster/weapon combo you're going to use for CCW you should practice practice practice.

I've got a Comp-Tac IWB that is tuckable, but I've not had a chance to practice pulling a shirt out of the way to get to the pistol, so I just leave my shirts untucked for now.

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    I have a Cross Breed Super Tuck, which works very well with my full size 1911. You are right about the problem with drawing and getting the shirt out of the way, which means you cannot be caught unaware of your surroundings.

If I find myself in a tight situation I will be pulling the shirt up and getting ready if nothing happens I re-tuck. I have found it doesn't take much more time than moving a jacket or long shirt away. Practice, Practice, Practice.

Don't forget your spare mag in the practice session.

Pray you never need to draw or a spare mag.

Semper Fi

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I tuck almost everyday. It takes a little practice to pull your shirt and draw your weapon. If a tuckable holster fits your lifestyle, you will soon be able to draw very quickly after diligent practice. It works well for me and nobody knows I carry.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Senior Moderator
    I have tuckables and a SmartCarry

I prefer my SmartCarry because I do not have to tuck.

I wear it so it the pistol grip rides even with my waist line and I blouse my shirt over to hide it.

I find that I can draw much quicker from my SmartCarry when I wear it this way then from a tuckable holster.

Of course I have to unbutton my pants to reholster with my SmartCarry
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

The biggest mistake I see that most people make when talking about tuckable vs. a std belt holster is that people assume that they will need a "fast draw" if/when things go bad.

This is not true for most CCW carriers. First and foremost, our reason to carry is based on defense. This means that we will rarely be in a fast draw contest. If we are, we screwed up somewhere in our situational awareness. Instead, most of the time we will be reacting to something that we see and can plan our defensive strategy based on what is happening.

This means that if we haven't gotten complacent in our awareness level, then we should be aware when things are about to go sour and can untuck if necessary.

So, a tuckable holster is fine for most folks in most situations. IF you are wearing your shirt tucked and feel it necessary to be able to access your carry weapon, then go ahead and untuck your shirt as part of your defensive plan. You can always tuck it in again afterwards.

well....i tuck at least 5 days out of the week...not my preference, but because of employer dress code, it's a must....in fact, my normal attire is a button down collared shirt with dockers. is it slower than untucked IWB...a little...but it's better than not carrying IMO. on the weekends....I'm untucked and ready for quicker access. If I had the option...that'd be my choice all the time...Hopefully as Rob posted, you'll have some sort of blimp on the SA radar and be ready to draw if need be so that the extra 1/2 second to untuck doesn't cause issue. Tucking isn't the perfect solution...but everything about CCW comes down to compromise (do I carry a full size, do I carry and extra mag, do I go for caliber or capacity, do I go for small or easy to handle, do I go for concealment or quick presentation, etc, etc...). just make sure that you can live with the compromises you make!
    "Come, follow me, " Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men." Mark 1:17

I use a tuckable holster. And I keep my shirt tucked, but slightly bloused on the holster side. It is hardly noticeable. To draw I grab the shirt with the left hand and pull high while I am reaching the gun with the right. Is it a slower draw? Yep. But I practice 4 or 5 times a day right now. I usually have the gun to a ready position within 3-4 seconds. If I was not tucked we are talking about perhaps 1-2 seconds. As others have already pointed out it is a compromise. But I have heard that the vast majority of the time that CCW people have to draw it is not a matter of speed. The first rule of a gunfight is to bring a gun. The best way for me to always have my gun is to tuck my shirt.

Would I try to draw if someone had a gun pointed at me? Not unless they were seriously distracted first. And even then only if my family or some other innocent were in imminent danger. Or unless I believed I was about to be shot anyway. Hopefully I would pick up the threat before someone got that close with a gun. Although I can draw within 3 seconds right now my first shot is usually between 3 and 6 inches from the center of the target on a target 7 yards away.

I will keep practicing. My life and the lives of others may depend on my skill. But at least I will be armed.

In the meantime I would recommend anyone who carries concealed should regularly practice their draw. At least with dry-firing. Practice first with an empty gun. Make sure that your finger is in the index position and not inside the trigger until you are ready to fire. Practice multiple steps in the draw slowly at first.

When you practice with the gun loaded always do so in a location where an AD would not be a problem. Fortunately I live in a rural area and I have a nice bank of dirt on my property that I set my targets in front of that I can practice in front of.

Even when the gun is not loaded, practice in an area where it would be safe if it were loaded. Because "....the gun is always treated as being loaded....even when you are absolutely certain it is not...."

I believe a lot of the major training centers offer training on the draw. I hope to take a course myself sometime this summer.

Maybe some other forum members who have been at this a LOT longer than I have can recommend:

-- training centers where a draw from a tuckable holster would be taught
    -- recommended steps that are part of a draw
    -- advice on how to draw quickly and accurately
    -- advice on how to improve speed
    ....a politically incorrect right-wing fiscally-conservative libertarian NRA card-carrying gun-toting self-sufficient gainfully-employed Bible-believing church-going fundamentalist evangelical Christian. Perhaps you should avoid my company. I might contaminate you.

go to the local goodwill? salvation army and pick up some cheap button up shirts and practice with them. Ripping the shirt in a moment of danger is a very real option. just practice(Unloaded of course). Many people on the forum have mentioned using snaps or velcro to hold there dres shirts together and this may be another way to clear the shirt out of your way fast. try out a few methods with your second hand cheap shirst and figure out what works for you. The one thing that i have learned in my time as a sheepdog is that you have to do what works for you and yuo have to train offen.
    God invented cops so that firemen could have heroes too!

Links