MTAC or Supertuck

MTAC or Supertuck

This is a discussion on MTAC or Supertuck within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking to get a really comfortable IWB rig and the price difference between these two is only $10. If anyone has owned both ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

MTAC or Supertuck

I am looking to get a really comfortable IWB rig and the price difference between these two is only $10. If anyone has owned both of them I would like to hear your impressions on them. It will be for my Kel-Tec P-11. Also, does the Supertuck have hardware exposed on the backside against your skin?

Please move this to the proper forum. I made a mistake in posting it here, my apologies.

jfl
    Had the same choice to make.
    I got the MTAC, very comfortable after 1-2 weeks break-in; I would recommend it.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Also, check out the Comp-Tac Spartan. Either the MTAC or the Spartan has interchangeable kydex bodies so you can use the same holster for different guns. Kydex is also easy to form yourself for another gun (sheets at knifekits.com).

Looks like from the pictures the Spartan has exposed hardware on the backside. I do not believe I would want that on my bare skin.

I would say MTAC. That's what I'm ordering when I get some money back in the account.
    -Cody-

HK USP Tactical 45
    HK P2000SK .40, LEM, Night Sights

I went with the Supertuck for my XD service. There is no real hardware to worry about on the back, but the leather will rub against your leg until you get it broken in.

It took about 2-3 weeks, but I can now put it on and barely realize it is there.
    "For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places." -- Ephesians 6:12 (KJV)

The MTAC is the only one that you can't see the hardware on the back. The hardware on the back of the supertuck isn't noticeable once you have it on. If it's that big of a deal you could also try wearing an undershirt if possible.

I've been wearing a M-Tac with a XD .45 Compact held up by a wilderness instructor belt for almost a year, and there are times that I honestly have to check to see if I put my sidearm on. Its just that comfortable to wear! I would highly recommend the holster and the company.

I have both and they can each be set up similarly (position on belt, etc.) The biggest difference seems to be whether you have a t-shirt between the holster and your skin. If you do, the M-Tac is great. If your holster rides directly against your skin, the Crossbreed Supertuck is ideal. Why? The Crossbreed has leather that completely covers the rear of the slide whereas the M-Tac leaves the rear of the slide open. That means the (rear sight area of the) slide can rub against your skin. The t-shirt makes that a non-issue. No t-shirt and it's not the most comfortable.

The M-Tac does have the more polished appearance. It looks like a higher grade holster, especially compared to my totally broken-in Supertuck.

BTW, used with HK P2000sk.

I love my supertuck and often forget I am wearing it. Retention is impecible and rear hardware is not an issue. I can't speak to the MTAK but I can promise you will not regret the supertuck.
    Pro Deo, Pro Familia, Pro Patria

Ruger SR9 - Crossbreed STD
    Savage 10FP

Quote Originally Posted by Rivers View Post
    I have both and they can each be set up similarly (position on belt, etc.) The biggest difference seems to be whether you have a t-shirt between the holster and your skin. If you do, the M-Tac is great. If your holster rides directly against your skin, the Crossbreed Supertuck is ideal. Why? The Crossbreed has leather that completely covers the rear of the slide whereas the M-Tac leaves the rear of the slide open. That means the (rear sight area of the) slide can rub against your skin. The t-shirt makes that a non-issue. No t-shirt and it's not the most comfortable.

The M-Tac does have the more polished appearance. It looks like a higher grade holster, especially compared to my totally broken-in Supertuck.

I don't know what you mean. My MTAC covers the rear of the slide on my XDm just fine. I never wear it with an undershirt, and it is extremely comfortable. This might be a different case for different guns, but I should also note that the belt clips are adjustable for height and cant. I have no experience with the Supertuck but I don't think it has this feature.

People on the XD forum totally love the Supertuck. I am sure it is an excellent IWB holster. They are both great choices.
    "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by Rivers View Post

Thank you for the reply. I always wear a very thin tee-shirt under my other shirts so I do not think this would be an issue. Since both would be an excellent choice and I do not see my P-11 listed on the Supertuck websire I will be ordering the MTAC.

I would also look at Kholster. Kholster
    Weapons list suppressed...........

I have the comptac spartan. It's like the supertuck in that it does not have an extra piece of leather covering the hardware. If you wear underwear, the hardware doesnt touch your skin anyway, so I went with the cheaper and thinner spartan.

I've only had it a couple days - but so far so good.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links