OWB in a hot climate?

This is a discussion on OWB in a hot climate? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Gun Holsters Glock Holsters Concealment Holsters...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OWB in a hot climate?

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    OWB - Oversize good quality 100% Cotton T-shirt untucked.
    Good high quality leather holster and good, stiff 1.5" gun belt - behind the hip location - firearm at an all important more extreme forward rake - no vest - no second cover shirt - sure works for me. I like to be Cool & comfortable in hot weather.

It's been my experience that many folks are slightly self-conscious when carrying their firearm (a normal human reaction I guess) and consequently tend to over-conceal and cover their firearm much more than is really necessary.

A good uber high quality leather holster is mandatory and I always go custom these days since most stock "off the shelve" rigs do not "house" a full size firearm with enough forward cant/rake to nicely conceal just under a T-Shirt.

Hawaiin shirts like those worn by "Magnum PI" work great and brake up any printing. Just make sure the shirt is a little oversized.

Just an open print shirt covers IWB or OWB just as well.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I carry OWB a lot with a pancake style holster and it works very well under just a T-shirt. I usually carry a snub nose revolver a Ruger SP101 or colt cobra I don't know if this matters at all. I'm wanting a better OWB rig and am considering a silver dollar pancake holster.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    [QUOTE=1911luver;1114264]I carry OWB a lot with a pancake style holster and it works very well under just a T-shirt. I usually carry a snub nose revolver a Ruger SP101 or colt cobra I don't know if this matters at all. I'm wanting a better OWB rig and am considering a silver dollar pancake holster.[/QUOTE

You might take a look at the Fist #12 for a revolver.
    FIST, INC.

Best,
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Horseman04 View Post
    I have heard several bad reviews on Cellpal. The concept looks great. I was also tempted to try one. But the bad reviews (poor quality) turned me away. Then I went ahead and got an excellent IWB (Tucker "The Answer" -- great holster!).

My question here though is related to concealing traditional OWBs in hot and humid weather. Sounds like most folks either use a vest of a tee shirt with an untucked button-up shirt on the outside. The untucked button shirt just looks to sloppy for me -- I just could not get away with that.

The vest sounds more like something I might like to try. Those of you who have done vests with OWBs was it a buttoned up vest or a vest designed to be open? If it is an open vest what make or brand is it?

If I can find a good unbuttoned vest I might even try that with my IWB. I would think it would make for a faster draw.

If it is a button up vest is that still really easier on the draw than a tucked-in shirt?

Thanks!
    If you have any extra inches around your middle the Cellpal/Pagerpal won't work well as the gun catches on you on the way out.

You should check out denim vests with HD (Harley Davidson) on the back. You don't need the bike as many who wear the garb don't have the ride. You can also find camp/bowling shirts as they have become very popular.

T shirt with golf type shirt untucked. I personally don't like the vests because when I see someone wearing a vest in the summer, my first reaction is to look for their firearm as to me it is a dead give away that they are likely carrying.
    NRA life member.

Thanks folks. Lots of great advice here. I may look into a vest. I have a feeling it screams "concealed firearm" mainly to LEOs and those of us who carry.
    ....a politically incorrect right-wing fiscally-conservative libertarian NRA card-carrying gun-toting self-sufficient gainfully-employed Bible-believing church-going fundamentalist evangelical Christian. Perhaps you should avoid my company. I might contaminate you.

kpw
    Unless your using a tuckable IWB, they don't conceal much easier than a quality high ride OWB. The only time I use an IWB is if I'm wearing a shorter jacket with a tucked shirt.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Horseman04 View Post
    Thanks folks. Lots of great advice here. I may look into a vest. I have a feeling it screams "concealed firearm" mainly to LEOs and those of us who carry.
    And you are 100% correct. The worst comment I get is, "How is the fishing today?"

VIP Member
    OWB Pancake holster and and either a Woolrich or EOTAC light vest. Sometimes it gets too windy down here to use a lightweight shirt.
    Besides I've been wearing some sort of vest since I was 17 so those who know me or see me in a regular basis don't give it a second thought.
    I usually get asked the same question as psychophipps: "How's the fishing?" or the "Are you a photographer?" variant.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links