OWB in a hot climate?

This is a discussion on OWB in a hot climate? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Some of you carry most of the time in OWB. Some of you live in a hot climate like me: TX, AZ, FL, etc. If ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OWB in a hot climate?

OWB in a hot climate?

Some of you carry most of the time in OWB. Some of you live in a hot climate like me: TX, AZ, FL, etc.

If you are carrying OWB all of the time AND you live some place with really HOT (especially HOT & HUMID) summers -- how do you do it? Do you just wear a shirt with the shirt tails out? Do you have one of those sleeveless vests designed for CC?

If you are HOT and OWB how do you do it?

Thanks!
    ....a politically incorrect right-wing fiscally-conservative libertarian NRA card-carrying gun-toting self-sufficient gainfully-employed Bible-believing church-going fundamentalist evangelical Christian. Perhaps you should avoid my company. I might contaminate you.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    A short sleeve shirt with shirt tails out works for me.
    sometimes the shirt is buttoned and sometimes un-buttoned.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Tucked T-shirt, or polo-style shirt, with an untucked shirt over it, is the norm for me when it is hot. If the T-shirt is cotton, or most other material, I prefer that it be sleeveless, but if it is Smartwool, sleeves are fine. The outer short may or may not be buttoned.

I will also wear a Royal Robbins vest, much lighter than the 5.11 series, to cover the weapon(s).

Helpful hint: When it is really hot, a polo-style shirt, with a collar, or a button-front shirt, ventilates MUCH better than any crew-neck shirt ever made.

My very best outer shirts are Patagonia "AC Cloth" shirts, made several years ago, with the best combination of coolness and concealment. Then, they changed the cloth, and the AC shirts were not so good, for a while. I just looked at some at a local store, and thy seem to have changed the cloth again, seemingly for the better.

Prepare for sticker shock. Some call Patagonia "Patagucci." I think it is worth it.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fotomaker57 View Post
    A short sleeve shirt with shirt tails out works for me.
    sometimes the shirt is buttoned and sometimes un-buttoned.
    Mike
    Same here, and I also always wear an undershirt.

Regards,
    Jerry

I had thought about a vest. But I wondered how well they actually concealed the bottom of an OWB. And I wondered if anyone ever gave you a funny look for wearing any vest in hot and humid weather. When you wear a vest do you keep it unbuttoned or buttoned? Most of the ones that I have looked at look like they were made to be buttoned. But to me that would be as slow on the draw as a tucked in shirt -- maybe worse.

Some of you may laugh at this -- but I had always thought undershirts only for winter. Until my wife talked me into trying them to hide sweat stains. Now they help make my IWB more comfortable. And make me more comfortable year round.

If you are wearing an OWB in a hot climate, what OWB do you use? I would imagine some ride lower than others and would be harder to conceal.
    ....a politically incorrect right-wing fiscally-conservative libertarian NRA card-carrying gun-toting self-sufficient gainfully-employed Bible-believing church-going fundamentalist evangelical Christian. Perhaps you should avoid my company. I might contaminate you.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Horseman04 View Post
    If you are wearing an OWB in a hot climate, what OWB do you use? I would imagine some ride lower than others and would be harder to conceal.
    I am using either an eagle or laredo defender from K&D
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    tank top, with a tshirt over top, or a long sleeve shirt unbuttoned. I also have used a Cellpal.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by TerriLi View Post
    tank top, with a tshirt over top, or a long sleeve shirt unbuttoned. I also have used a Cellpal.
    how do you like cell pal? I am thinking about buying one.

Try a tank top tucked in with a sleeveless t-shirt untucked and over the OWB holster with a short sleeve print shirt unbuttoned on the outside. It sounds like a lot but it breathes easy, I like Rayon for the outer shirt, it's light and cool

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    I use several different OWB holsters. All of them are essentially low ride. Here are the ones I use most for several different guns.
    Nossar PNCK-H, Sparks I-BAK and Axiom, Brommeland Def-Con, and K&D Laredo Defender.

I have not had trouble with concealing the low ride holsters, but do make sure the shirt tail is long enough to cover it.

Regards,
    Jerry

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grandma4 View Post
    how do you like cell pal? I am thinking about buying one.
    I do like cellpall for a bug, or needing really great concealment. Warning its a slow draw, it also is a lot harder to train drawing with, to get it under 2 seconds. Take into the fact I train to draw one handed, and its really designed for a two handed draw. Its pretty comfortable, and conceals the best out of every holster I have ever used. It also will fit just about anything you want, so no need to get more then one. Ive carried everything from a snubbie model 60 S&W, to a fullsize Sig. Sitting is fine, and walking around its quite forgetable.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Wear an undershirt and a linen cover shirt like a Hawaiian or solid color version. I use a solid color linen shirts with OWB summer carry all the time.
    Last edited by MNBurl; April 18th, 2009 at 07:06 AM.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I watched the video at the Cellpal website. I'm very tempted to buy one myself if I read a few positive reviews here. I love the way it works in the video!
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

I have heard several bad reviews on Cellpal. The concept looks great. I was also tempted to try one. But the bad reviews (poor quality) turned me away. Then I went ahead and got an excellent IWB (Tucker "The Answer" -- great holster!).

My question here though is related to concealing traditional OWBs in hot and humid weather. Sounds like most folks either use a vest of a tee shirt with an untucked button-up shirt on the outside. The untucked button shirt just looks to sloppy for me -- I just could not get away with that.

The vest sounds more like something I might like to try. Those of you who have done vests with OWBs was it a buttoned up vest or a vest designed to be open? If it is an open vest what make or brand is it?

If I can find a good unbuttoned vest I might even try that with my IWB. I would think it would make for a faster draw.

If it is a button up vest is that still really easier on the draw than a tucked-in shirt?

Thanks!

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    I use a 5.11 "Shoot me first!" vest in the summer and it conceals great along with carrying everything.

The fact of the matter is that in a hot and humid locale in the summer you will be hot and sweating regardless of what you wear. You can wear silk and still sweat. You can wear that new breathable fabric and still sweat. You're basically hosed. That said, a light button-up shirt or a vest over a under/t-shirt really isn't the deal breaker that so many people think that it will be once you start wearing them.

It won't be like sitting in AC with a select cold beverage either way, right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links