High ride pancake vs IWB

This is a discussion on High ride pancake vs IWB within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry IWB in a HBE Com III. It's very comfortable and has worked well since I started carrying a few months ago. I have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High ride pancake vs IWB

High ride pancake vs IWB

I carry IWB in a HBE Com III. It's very comfortable and has worked well since I started carrying a few months ago.

I have the itch to get an OWB holster and I think I want a high ride pancake like this one. Since it will be more centered with my side will the butt of the gun print less than wearing IWB at 4 o'clock?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    I carry my Glock 27 in a Don Hume 721 Open Top pancake. It fits very close to my side and has a body shield shield behing the slide area. With a reinforced belt it is rock solid and comfortable. I bought mine from RogueElite.net. They are a sponsor here.

H721 O.T. [H721 O.T.] - $48.00 : Don Hume Leathergoods, manufactures high quality leather and nylon goods.

Administrator
    "will the butt of the gun print less than wearing IWB at 4 o'clock?"

With a holster that rides the firearm up that high you will absolutely need a stiff gun belt.

Will it print less?
    Yes, it will print less provided that you cinch a stiff belt tight enough to pull the firearm butt in close to the body.

I was pretty surprised to view the results of one poll on this forum which showed how most members carry IWB as compared to OWB.

For me...OWB behind the hip is the only way that I will carry at the waist. I could never personally tolerate IWB.

That's a good quality holster so my suggestion would be to buy one and try it.

It's not like you'll be losing $80 (should it just not work out for you) because you can always sell it for slightly less than you paid for it right here on DefensiveCarry. So the most you'll ever be "out" is $10 or $20.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    With a holster that rides the firearm up that high you will absolutely need a stiff gun belt.
    I use a Beltman belt

Administrator
    You should be just fine.
    That is a lot of "gun" above the belt line and that is why a good, stiff belt is so important AKA in order to prevent flop.

Be aware of the fact that you also need to practice good posture when sitting out in public because depending on your exact carry location if you sit "hunched forward" with bad posture then your gun butt could jutt out while you are seated.

Not sure if that will be a problem for you or not but, you should be sitting up straight anyway. We are Americans. & thus should sit and stand proud.

Don Hume 721 O.T. works well with my Walther P99, but a good belt is a must.

kpw
    I have a UBG Bonneville that even a little higher than that one. It conceals very well. QKShooter is spot on about the belt. Your Beltman belt is good to go. I'll add that if your packing a heavy pistol, you might be better off with something that sits a bit lower.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

I carry both ways. I do not carry a full size gun just for the reason you are worried about. At four o'clock the full size grip prints in my comfort zone when I move different ways. I carry IWB and OWB in TT gunleather holsters with my G19 and never do I print and they are close to my body.

My other carry guns I have other name brand holsters. The one thing about OWB is that if your shirt that works for IWB it might not in OWB. There are three or more inches exposed with OWB.

Quote Originally Posted by sbebenelli View Post
    I carry IWB in a HBE Com III. It's very comfortable and has worked well since I started carrying a few months ago.

I have the itch to get an OWB holster and I think I want a high ride pancake like this one. Since it will be more centered with my side will the butt of the gun print less than wearing IWB at 4 o'clock?
    A good holster to go with a good belt does wonders for any kind of carry. I have a Beltman and a decent but not high end OWB holster and it works just fine for me. I think a top quality high ride is going to be my next investment.

Honestly all this stuff is so personal and one size does not fit all even with top notch gear. I think it goes a long ways in choosing though when quite a few people buy and give praise for a product. It's still personal in the end. TT seems to be one of those who collect a lot of praise. Good luck.

My highest riding OWB holster is a leather from Mitch Rosen. Rides above the belt loops. Upper Limit Express holster:

I don't normally carry OWB in the summertime.

Since you are looking at ttgunleather anyway, take a look at his snap-on OWB holster. I have one, and it is absolutely my favorite. I carry an FNP9 in it (which is not a small gun) and it does not print at all. I use either a Beltman or Liger belt with it.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodLark View Post
    Since you are looking at ttgunleather anyway, take a look at his snap-on OWB holster. I have one, and it is absolutely my favorite. I carry an FNP9 in it (which is not a small gun) and it does not print at all. I use either a Beltman or Liger belt with it.
    +1 on the TT Gunleather OWB snap holster. Occasionally carry my 3" S&W 29 in it in the winter. Haven't found a single OWB that hides a weapon as well as that HBE you have.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

I thought super-high ride would work for me, but it put the butt of the gun too high to tuck under my ribcage nicely and it tended to print quite a lot, especially the hammer. It was actually easier to conceal with a lower ride.

That said, the Garrity Stead-Fast I had was a really, really nice holster with a similar design to the one you linked to. And if you use a short jacket for cover (like the description of the Stead-fast said it was designed for), it doesn't print at all. The Shin Bet shirts worked really well with it, too.

+1 on Mitch Rosen's UPL Express line.

Another option is Del Fatti LPS (not as high as the UPL). But this sits very close against the body for less printing. Conceals well. More $$, but worth every penny.
    SA EMP ~ Sig P232s ~ Walther PP ~ Makarov ~ S&W 442 ~ Ruger LCP
    HK USP Compact ~ HK P2000sk ~ RIA Tactical ~ FN Hi-Power ~ Sig GSR C3

Actually, MTAC makes a very thin/good/comfortable IWB holster; for those that do not care for IWB, I recommend you give them a try...it is my regular.

Now...if you are going to talk about "High Ride" holsters...really, the most concealable and stable holster on the market is made by Rusty Sherrick:

I do not recommend it for the average Joe, however. A good belt like my reinforced beltman and a smaller revolver or pistol like my G26...for the serious minded.

As you can see...this weapon rides high...tight against the body...and easily concealed:

It all comes down to going down the dark holes after monsters. Thatís what itís all about; when everyone else is huddled around the campfire, somebody has to go out and fight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links