Question for M TAC Holster Owners

This is a discussion on Question for M TAC Holster Owners within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently purchased a M TAC Holster. After taking it out of the package I immediately noticed that the surface of the leather where the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for M TAC Holster Owners

Question for M TAC Holster Owners

I recently purchased a M TAC Holster. After taking it out of the package I immediately noticed that the surface of the leather where the frame of my pistol will contact was scuffed and scratched. For those of you that have a M TAC did yours also come with the scuffs and scratches in the leather?

The holster is perfectly functional and the scratches and scuffs are not terrible. However, after paying over $90 including shipping and tax, I did not expect the cosmetic blemishes and was disappointed.

2. Remove Ads

Could they possibly be from testing the fit of the holster?

Is it scuffed as in it happened during after manufacturing? or scratched and scuffed as in the cow caught himslef in some barb wire? ie blemished leather to begin with?

No scratches on mine, are the marks on the inside or on the upper leather tab?
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
    Could they possibly be from testing the fit of the holster?
    Yes test fitting at the production facility is the most likely explaination for the scuffs and scratches.
    Last edited by RTC1004; April 20th, 2009 at 06:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfug View Post
    Is it scuffed as in it happened during after manufacturing? or scratched and scuffed as in the cow caught himslef in some barb wire? ie blemished leather to begin with?
    The scuffs are not related to the natural variation that is to be expected in leather products. The marks are from the production process. Again, I want to stress that the scuffs are not terrible. I just was not expecting them for the amount of money I paid and wanted to know if this is normal for this holster.

Quote Originally Posted by JAT40 View Post
    No scratches on mine, are the marks on the inside or on the upper leather tab?
    Inside the holster part just opposite the kydex shell, if that makes any sense. Hard to explain w/o pictures, but clearly visible when you look in the holster.

Contact them, they'll make it right, if you are not happy. But expect a scuff or two, once you start using it.

Mine had some very slight marks on the leather behind the kydex. I figured it was from them test fitting the blue gun in the holster after assembly, and to adjust the retention screws.
    Be Safe,
    Chuck

Mine had scuff marks I assumed they were from fitting the blue gun in to put the proper tension on the retention screws. Like someone else mentioned if you practice drawing the scuff marks will become character marks.

Quote Originally Posted by sass20485 View Post
    Contact them, they'll make it right, if you are not happy. But expect a scuff or two, once you start using it.
    Well...I contacted Comp-Tac. I was told that scratches and scuffs on the M-TAC leather are not uncommon and that these finish problems often occur during the gun fitting stage of the holster's construction. I was told I could return it to them (at my expense) and they would send me another one, but they would charge me a shipping fee, and they would not guarantee that the replacement holster's leather would not be scuffed and scratched. So for about $20 I can get a replacement holster that might not be any better than the original one and all this after I already paid $90+.

I have other leather holsters from Bianchi, Don Hume and High Noon. No craftsmanship or finish issues with any of those holsters. I'm sure they went through a gun fitting process too. I know things get scratched and scuffed during everyday use; however, I don't think I need to pay someone to do it for me.

Despite my disappointment with the finish, the holster so far works great and is very comfortable. BTW - I also purchased a belt from Comp-Tac. It is of excellent construction and finish. After receiving such a high quality belt from them, I was really surprised and bummed out when I saw the finish on the holster. Comp-Tac's lack luster response to my concerns did not help either.

Quote Originally Posted by RTC1004 View Post
    Comp-Tac's lack luster response to my concerns did not help either.

I picked up a Minotaur and it had the same scuffs/scrapes that you describe. I've noticed that the kydex hangs below the leather on mine and causes a pinch or jab when I sit down. I believe it is from the sharp edge right over the front sight.

After talking with Comp-Tac I've determined that I'm going to void my warranty and trim the kydex back a bit. My full size 1911 is still fully covered by leather.

Holster wears well and their belt is awesome, just wish they would keep the kydex over the leather and had an option for a 1.25in belt.

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    to be concerned about scuffs in the location you describe is like being concerned about scuffs on the wear surface of the tires on your new car. Besides that, it's going to be covered by your gun, your pants, your shirt, and then possibly a cover garment.

It's not meant to be cosmetic like the belt which you said was in good shape. Practice drawing a few times and all the marks will be your own. Or look at it this way; be happy their quality control test fits the gun and you received a holster, made in the U.S.A. that fits and functions properly!
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Harvethesecon - that looks like it would suck. I have one with a G27 and have the opposite problem of more leather than I would like because the kydex is so small.

Overall, I'm very pleased with mine for the price but I'm considering trimming the leather back a bit. I've been wearing this combination every day for about 9months.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

I just was not expecting them for the amount of money I paid and wanted to know if this is normal for this holster.
    I have two MTAC holsters and they arrived absolutely unblemished. FWIW!
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links