Smart Carry for big guys??

This is a discussion on Smart Carry for big guys?? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, I have been looking at these lately for another method of carry. Summer is coming fast! I have seen video's and pics of these ...

Thread: Smart Carry for big guys??

Smart Carry for big guys??

Ok, I have been looking at these lately for another method of carry. Summer is coming fast! I have seen video's and pics of these Smart Carry deals with skinny guys wearing them. Any big guys (yes, fat) here have the Smart Carry? What do you think? Worth the money? Comfort?

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Ads

Depends on your shape, but most big guys have big bellies. That's a lot of real estate to reach around or under to draw. You'd have to really open your pants to "clear tummy".
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I am 6'3" tall and weigh 260 and, for me, the Smart Carry has been an absolutely terrific way to carry concealed. I have carried a variety of guns and my favorite is a Ruger SP-101 with a 2-1/4" barrel.

The pic is of the SC , the Ruger, a large folder, and a single speed strip. There is actually another speed strip in the holster (Security V). For a big guy the SC is an excellent concealed carry strategy. I have used the SC to carry wearing jeans, dress slacks, sweat pants, running suite, and shorts and, in each situation, it has performed well. I recommend it highly.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

I'm 6'2", 270lbs. I carried my HK P2000SK in my smart carry on Saturday. I normally prefer to carry IWB but I just got this gun and I did not have another holster for it. It's still not my favorite way to carry, but it worked well. Just make sure your have pants that have enough room where you need it.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Most of you are only half the man I am. Of course, I wish I was like you.

At 6'4" and 425, I've found that my homebrew smartcarry in the appendix position was great with a bobbed-hammer revolver (SP101). It is unbearably painful with a standard pistol with pokeybits like the hammer and such. Not sure how the 'real' smartcarry would be; wish I had the bucks to try it.

I would encourage you to try one: they offer to take it back if you don't like it. But consider using it at around 1:00 or 2:00. I'm not sure of your shape, but I have kind of a hollow there which permits me to reach in to draw. The smartcarry belt would run under the 'roll', by the way. See photos on the linked thread.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

I have a smart carry rig. I really did not find it to feel comfortable. If anyone wants mine it can be had cheaply.

VIP Member
    Actually, I’m not yet large although I do wear the Thunderwear (same as SmartCarry) with a HK-P7. It works quite well for concealment. The design isn’t really a fast draw so your physical size shouldn’t be a “big” problem.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by matdicdad View Post
    I have a smart carry rig. I really did not find it to feel comfortable. If anyone wants mine it can be had cheaply.
    size? left or right hand?
    NRA Life Member.
    H&K USP Compact .40
    Among others.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    A Belly Band might be another option. I was impressed with the one I just got from www.tommysgunpack.com. They have half-off sales periodically for the folks who subscribe to their email notification.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Thanks for the info...might try a smart carry in the near future. The quality looks pretty decent.

I am short and fat but working on getting skinny. I can't wear mine in it's traditional position and most often carry at about 4 o'clock.

I have bought stuff from Charlie for many years now (I have a medium and a large security model). He is one of the good guys for sure. I don't think you will be disappointed with their quality.

Be Safe

NosaM

I got loaned it to a friend also to try. Neither of us could get it to work to our satisfaction. It was uncomfortable for me and my friend couldn't conceal it. I ended up carrying inside my cowboy boot.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Thumbs up Smartcarry

I use a Smartcarry every day with either a Glock 19 or 26. The most comfortable way I've found to use it is the "alternate" method - shifted to my left side, with the bottom of the pistol's grip centered on the zipper.

If you can get your hand into your waistband, you can draw from a Smartcarry. I find it actually faster than a tucked IWB holster, since I wear my shirt tucked behind the Smartcarry there is no covering garment to untuck or sweep away. Also less chance of your gun getting snagged by your covering garment.

When you sit, the gun will lay on your thigh - very comfortable.

Only issue is drawing while seated - you need to pop up a bit out of your seat to draw.

I highly recommend it - and Charlie really is a nice guy!

I am a big fellow, 6' and >300 lbs. I use a Galco Concelable when I am wearing a jacket, and a DeSantis pocket holster with an SP101 when it's impossible (or uncomfortable) to wear one. It works well with Dockers or Jeans. Nobody knows I'm carrying and I lead worship at my church. A few of us started carrying after all the church shootings lately.
    If you rob Peter to pay Paul, you will undoubtedly have the support of Paul.

Links