Cargo pants/ shorts... - Page 3

Cargo pants/ shorts...

This is a discussion on Cargo pants/ shorts... within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Guys, Excuse my ignorance...RKBA???? Thx. Mackster...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Guys,
    Excuse my ignorance...RKBA???? Thx.

Mackster

Quote Originally Posted by mackster View Post
    Guys,
    Excuse my ignorance...RKBA???? Thx.

Mackster
    Right to Keep and Bear Arms.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

+1 on the RKBA. Have one for my PM9 and love it. Works great anywhere in cargo shorts/pants - back pocket, front pocket, or cargo pocket.
    -LP
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." - Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-188

I wear cargo shorts and a long black trench coat works for me

Quote Originally Posted by boricua View Post
    Cargo pants tend to have deep pockets and tend to fit loosely, which I think are perfect for pocket carry. I own a couple of Mika pocket holsters (square and round bottom) for my snubby, which work well with my cargo shorts.
    I agree.

I wear Cargo Shorts about 60% of the time. Carhartt Work Pants 30% of the time and jeans or dress pants the other 10%.

Biker

Cargo shorts (or longs) and a simple homemade leather pocket holster. Medium size Glock fits fine.

Tru-Spec 24-7 shorts

I've tried a variety of cargo shorts and always found it awkward to have a weapon bouncing around in a cargo pocket.

Recently I ordered a pair of 5.11 and a pair of 24/7 cargo shorts. In a nutshell, the 5.11 shorts (and long pants) are cheaply made and a waste of time for concealed carry. OTOH, the 24/7 shorts are everything I hoped for and more.

I usually carry either a Smith 638 in a Uncle Mike's fabric pocket holster or a 908 (3 inch single stack 9mm) in a fabric IWB holster. Either fit nicely and securely in either the front or cargo pockets on either side. The J frame also fits well in the hip pocket and is secured with a velcro flap.

The cargo pockets each have two sleeves for M16 mags which nicely secure the J frame. I also carry two speed strips in a Tuff Products pouch which also fits in one of the mag sleeves on the other side. There are also two smaller cargo pockets which are just right for a speedstrip or magazine.

The 24/7 shorts are well made, fit well and are comforable. And they have a lot of nice little touches like velcro tabs on the pleat of the cargo and back pockets so they don't flop open. Also, the "covers" of the cargo pockets are slanted front to back and the front is also sewed down to help secure the pocket closed.

I can't recomend them enough and recently ordered several more pair.

For me, the Glock (G27)is too heavy to carry in cargo pockets. I carry a PF9 when carrying this way.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
    Recently I ordered a pair of 5.11 and a pair of 24/7 cargo shorts. In a nutshell, the 5.11 shorts (and long pants) are cheaply made and a waste of time for concealed carry.
    not doubting you or saying you full of it, its only that I'm curious....
    what exactly are you basing the above statement on?

I've worn 5.11 shorts and pants for a few years and still wear some that are 3 to 4 years old with no problem. I wear an IWB Kydex holster with a G30 almost daily. Again, just curious, not wanting to start a pant war.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Ever since 5.11 acquired the Royal Robbins line some years back, the quality of the "standard" 5.11 pants has fluctuated... acording to where/who made them. I had a couple of pair, purchased in 2005 and made in Vietnam, that were absolute junk; thin, haphazardly stitched, and the material had a lot of nylon in it.

OTOH, several pair that were provided to me by my employer last year, also made in Vietnam, were back up to the same quality level of the original Royal Robbins pants I bought sixteen years ago.

After those Cabela's shorts fell apart on me, I have realized that you simply cannot practice "brand loyalty" anymore.

Hill Country, where did you get your 24/7 shorts? I plan to do a Google on them later today, and possibly try some.

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    not doubting you or saying you full of it, its only that I'm curious....
    what exactly are you basing the above statement on?
    No problem. I had heard good things about the 5.11 stuff and was quite surprised. I purchased a pair of both - 5.11 and 24/7 - at the same time from Brigade QM and there was just no comparison in the quality of the material or construction. The 24/7 were far superior, IMHO.

In addition, I didn't care much for the design of the 5.11. The cargo pockets were to small for anything larger than a cell phone and a J frame didn't fit well in the front pockets. The J frame did fit in that huge slash rear pocket, but it depended on a small (IMO undersize) piece of velcro to stay closed.

I've heard that the 5.11 quality had declined in recent years, but I'd never worn them before so have nothing to compare to. But in my little comparison they didn't fare well. However, I was very impressed by the 24/7's. (Wearing them now, and considering the South Texas weather they are going to get lots of use. <G>)

I'm still baffled by the strap across the right rear hip. Must be useful for something, but I'm not sure what. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Hill Country, where did you get your 24/7 shorts? I plan to do a Google on them later today, and possibly try some.
    The first ones came from Brigade QM the second order came from Barre Army/Navy Store.

FWIW, BQM had them on sale, but were out of stock when I tried to reorder. Good service and they shipped quickly. A pair that was the wrong size - my error - was quickly refunded.

No complaints about Barre, either (other than they weren't on sale <G>).

Let us know if you find any sales on 24/7 as I may try some of their other stuff. Anyone tried their shirts?

I wear blue jeans shorts and cargo type shorts daily and carry an xd-45 compact IWB in a brigade gun leather m-11 and a K frame size taurus model445 44 special in a bianchi 100 pro...no problems, just buy 1 waste size bigger...
    USMC 1984-1992
    To err is human.
    To forgive is divine.
    Neither of which is Marine Corps policy.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

I live in southeast Florida and ONLY wear cargo shorts. I can't remember the last time I wore a pair of pants.

I use the Desantis pocket holster for my Kel Tec P3AT, and the same for my G26. Because of the size/weight difference I conceal carry the Kel Tec 90% of the time.
    Nick
    Glock 19 /CT Laser
    Glock 26 /CT Laser
    Kel Tec P3AT .380/CT Laser

Cargo shorts

Cargo shorts are my primary attire. I use a CrossBreed supertuck pretty much no matter what I wear.

Unless I'm Commando with Boardshorts and in the water...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links