Cargo pants/ shorts...

This is a discussion on Cargo pants/ shorts... within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Hill Country The first ones came from Brigade QM Yeah, found the BQM listing. That's one of the better vendors to deal ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Cargo pants/ shorts...

Quote Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
    The first ones came from Brigade QM
    Yeah, found the BQM listing. That's one of the better vendors to deal with, IMO. Got the page book-marked, will order some soon.

Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

Pants

Quote Originally Posted by Barbary View Post
    How hard would it be to carry a baby Glock or snub nose in the front pocket of these pants/ shorts.
    Easy, with the right pant/holster/gun combination. Certain combinations will turn "turtle" on you, in the pocket, depending on how well the holster and pocket sizes/shapes match up. As for general size and the threat of printing, I've had good luck with a specific type of pants/shorts (below).

I've used the 7-Pocket Hiker Pants (stretch) from Cabela's for several years, now. They're a good combination of durability and comfort. The belt loops are wide and sturdy. The cargo pockets are large enough for a compact, but not too large so they look out of place. They have Shorts as well. All the same design.

Data point: In these pants, I've carried a S&W 442 snubbie revolver, NAA 380 Guardian, KelTec PF-9 and a Kahr CW9. While my CZ P-01 technically fits, it's thickness is obvious and the backstrap is just visible out the top of the pocket. I have tried both a Glock 26 and a Glock 19, and both fit okay. The G19 is a tad large/long, but it works fine. And I've carried the S&W 442, Kahr CW9 and CZ P-01 IWB as well.

Much depends on how well the pants fit your legs, whether the fabric has enough toughness/stiffness to cover up shapes and avoid "printing," and whether there's enough space in the pocket to allow the thickness of a gun/holster to not look out of place. You won't know if a given combination works until you try it.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I'm still baffled by the strap across the right rear hip. Must be useful for something, but I'm not sure what. Any ideas?

If you have to tote around a bunch of keys, put 'em on a carabiner with a three-inch lead, and that strap makes a handy place to pop the carabiner over, tuck the keys in the slash pocket, and they stay secure yet out of the way.

You need 6 inches of pocket space. Someone mentioned this on another forum, and I have found this to be true in my experience.

The only paints that work for me are Dockers or Tommy Hilfiger Kawkis (If they still make them).

The Cargo pants that I looked at didn't fit. I will keep looking.

I don't want to wear Dockers everyday.

Unfortunately, I have a hard time finding pants that fit properly. Now, I have to also look for deeper pockets.

VIP Member
    No problem. I had heard good things about the 5.11 stuff and was quite surprised. I purchased a pair of both - 5.11 and 24/7 - at the same time from Brigade QM and there was just no comparison in the quality of the material or construction. The 24/7 were far superior, IMHO.

In addition, I didn't care much for the design of the 5.11. The cargo pockets were to small for anything larger than a cell phone and a J frame didn't fit well in the front pockets. The J frame did fit in that huge slash rear pocket, but it depended on a small (IMO undersize) piece of velcro to stay closed.

I've heard that the 5.11 quality had declined in recent years, but I'd never worn them before so have nothing to compare to. But in my little comparison they didn't fare well. However, I was very impressed by the 24/7's. (Wearing them now, and considering the South Texas weather they are going to get lots of use. <G>)

I'm still baffled by the strap across the right rear hip. Must be useful for something, but I'm not sure what. Any ideas?
    the strap across the right hip can be used to clip equipment to, or aid when tucking a flashlight in the back pocket, at least thats what I've used it for before
    as for the 5.11 pockets, I have a 5.11/Blackhawk spare mag pouch and carry 2 spare G21 mags in the left one, wallet/pair of cuffs in the right, I've also carried my Keltec P11 in a Nemesis holster in the right cargo pocket
    I carry my G30 IWB, I really like the elastic waistband, they work great for me
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

The strap is for hanging ear protection at the range.

If you wear cargo paints, do you use the large pocket on the side instead of the front pockets.

In all the cargo paints I looked at, they all have shallow pockets compared to my khakis.

Quote Originally Posted by nash View Post
    If you wear cargo paints, do you use the large pocket on the side instead of the front pockets.

In all the cargo paints I looked at, they all have shallow pockets compared to my khakis.
    In the Tru-spec 24/7 shorts, and I would assume their long pants as well, I can carry a J frame *comfortably* in the front, back or cargo pocket. The rear pocket is high enough to be comfortable even in the car. A fabric pocket holster helps avoid printing and provides a little cushioning in any of the pockets. The cargo pocket is generally my preferred position and I slide the rig in to one of the magazine slots which holds it very securely.

A 3 inch single stack 9mm rides well in the front pocket and would easily fit the mag slot in the cargo pocket if I could just find something - a pocket holster perhaps - to provide just a little padding.

Again, if you don't want to spend a bundle on special "tactical" clothing, Wrangler Relaxed Fit Carpenter Shorts will hide a 637 or 642 in the front pocket with just about any fabric pocket holster. You can get them at Target or Walmart, sometimes on sale. Lots of neat little pockets for speed strips and knife too! I buy 4 pair (2 denim/2 khaki) every summer. Wear them out by wearing them every day, but at 10-12 dollars a pair, who cares?
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Glock 33 in a Galco horsehide pocket holster works very well. I have a Charter Arms Mag Pug .357 with a generic leatherpocket holster, but the butt of the pistol tends to pop out occasionally, so I don't carry it that way any more. I'm probably going to have deeper pockets sewn in. The nice thing about the cargo shorts is that on long trips I can move the baby Glock to the right lower cargo pocket, solving the problem of reaching my primary carry weapon which is usually on my belt.

642 in either a Mika round-cut or Nemesis depending on the shape of the pocket-bottom.

It's my everyday, all the time carry (even if I also have something a little larger on the hip...)
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links