Ankle holster?

Ankle holster?

This is a discussion on Ankle holster? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just purchased an M&P 9c which I currently carry in my supertuck holster. I drive an hour one way to get to work everyday ...

Thread: Ankle holster?

Ankle holster?

I just purchased an M&P 9c which I currently carry in my supertuck holster. I drive an hour one way to get to work everyday and have found it a little uncomfortable. I've been pulling my gun and setting it under a coat or sweatshirt on the pass. seat. Just wondering if anyone has used or currently uses an ankle holster? Any thoughts or suggestions would be helpful.

M&P9c
    SW99 40cal.
    SuperTuck

I would think an ankle holster would be a last resort kind of thing. You might want to put your M&P on the front seat until you get to work.

I would definitely recommend an ankle holster while driving. The gun is secured and easy to access while seated. If you have to stop suddenly or get in an accident, the gun will remain on your ankle and within your reach. I would suggest placing the gun back in your regular holster once you arrive at your destination.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

i used one for many mango seasons on the job. they work well if you buy a good named brand one. what i found the older i got the more the ankle holster hurt me. it would drive me up a wall before the day was out. it took it 31 plus years to do this. do a search, this has been covered many times.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I use one every day. I Carry a S&W 442 38+p (BUG) in it and just love it. Works great for me. Good luck.
    CCW: Never get killed for lack of shooting back!

Most folks will agree that Alessi's Ankle Rig is the best or one of the best ankle holsters, but it will take a while if you order one. And finding one used for your particular BUG requires a lot of luck.

So have you looked into - Renegade Ankle holsters? Some would argue that this is the best ankle rig. I have both and I have to admit, they are both top notch. Good Luck!

Alessi Ankle Rig

You may want to look into Kramer's version as well. Horsehide at it's BEST!

SA EMP ~ Sig P232s ~ Walther PP ~ Makarov ~ S&W 442 ~ Ruger LCP
    HK USP Compact ~ HK P2000sk ~ RIA Tactical ~ FN Hi-Power ~ Sig GSR C3

TwinCarry,
    Are there any holsters that you do not own?
    NRA life member.

I bought a cheap one off of ebay just to see if it would be something I should invest in. The cheap one (nylon-like $15) works great. The key for me is that the gun (Bersa Thunder 380) is at a 45 degree cant. It puts the butt of the gun much closer in line with my calf and it gets the barrell of the gun off of my ankle bone. I use it once in a while and love it.

Cozy Partner

I'll agree with TwinCarry's recommendation of the Renegade Cozy Partner ankle rig. I own a business and am usually in dress clothes during the day, making ankle carry an attractive option. I've tried ankle rigs from other makers, but the Cozy Partner is by far the most comfortable I've used. I had it in hand (in Ohio) five business days after placing my order.

Try one - you'll be pleased.

Tony

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Ankle carry may not be a great all-around carry method, but it is a truly great way to carry while driving or seated for another reason, as access is quite quick. I have Alessi ankle holsters for several weapons, and use them most to carry SP101 snubbies. Lou Alessi passed away recently, and his holsters now command collector's prices, but others who build similar rigs include Kramer and Bulman, plus another maker that was reviewed in the latest American Handgunner magazine.

Renegade!

I've been trying to get off my butt and do a thorough review on my Renegade but I've been swamped lately.

The Kramer and Alessi are beautifully crafted and I have a lot of appreciation for their work. The Renegade wasn't designed to win a beauty contest, it was designed to be the most comfortable, concealable rig on the market. I think they've accomplished that. The bulk/print of the Alessi under regular jeans is huge compared to the Renegade.

If I were you go for it. I use my Renegade every day. You can literally sprint while wearing it with minimal bouce or shift of the rig.

For heavier gun a leather ankle rig like an Alessi or a Bulman is far superior.

Airweight revolvers and like weight handguns should never suffer from too much holster and are most comfortable in a Renegade or my favorite the Ankle Glove.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    When buying Renegade rigs, be sure they are newly made, and not NOS. A while back, I bought a Renegade, and it was ancient, with the elastic already too tired to retain the weapon, though it was "new" and not worn. The packaging looked like the product had been sitting on a shelf for 20 years. Elastic does not last forever!

I learned the HARD way to regularly replace my Renegade rigs at the first sign of the elastic getting tired. I had a couple of snubbies come loose and go flying, while running, with one getting a bad case of road rash. This happened with Renegades I bought when really new, not the new-old-stock one mentioned above.

Sponsored Links