shoulder rigs?

This is a discussion on shoulder rigs? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How comfortable are these? They look cumbersome to me. If you use one, how long during the day are you wearing it? Is it your ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: shoulder rigs?

shoulder rigs?

How comfortable are these? They look cumbersome to me. If you use one, how long during the day are you wearing it? Is it your preferred method of carry where you live?
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

GLOCK 23..........Beretta 96..........Mossberg 500A..........Winchester 30-30..........S&W M&P

I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Leather shoulder rigs like the Galco Miami Classic are quite comfortable IMO. I have one for my XD45 and I can carry it all day with just a button up shirt, and not worry about printing. I would avoid the nylon style, especially the Blackhawk CQC Serpa shoulder harness (I've had spare mags drop out of the magazine holders). They are especially good when you are behind the wheel of your vehicle for long periods of time. Your mileage may vary though!
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Ken Null makes a great deep concealment shoulder holster. I recently purchased one of his SMZ models for my Kahr PM9, and have been wearing it under my dress shirts at work. The SMZ was designed for professional use, and it shows in the quality of the design and materials. One other plus is that it can be used for different weapons interchangably - I've worn it with the PM9, with a Makarov, and with my H&K P7PSP.

Take a look at Ken's website for more information and options. Good luck!

I have a vertical shoulder rig from Fist. I have only used it on my Harley, but since I have been comfortable with my SOB carry, the shoulder rig has stayed on the shelf.
    The shoulder rig is comfortable enough, but I really prefer the IWB feeling rather that my sidearm 'hanging' from my shoulder...I'm just sayin'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I use a Miami Classic for everyday carry. My preferred carry method for some years now.

These are the main disadvantages in my experience:

• Training/safety, especially in group settings
    • concealability, especially if you move into an environment in which wearing a coat/jacket will be conspicuous
    • comfort, especially if you move into an environment in which wearing a coat/jacket will be hot
    • retention, and the need to cross your centerline to draw the weapon
    • depending on the design, one-handed draws can be difficult or impossible
    • cost (vs. other carry methods)
    Train Hard, Stay Safe!
    Todd Louis Green
    pistol-training.com

i use the galco miami classic about 85% of the time. hard to beat a good shoulder holster.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I used the Miami Classic for many years carrying as a fed, some days 18+ hours, never had a problem, carried a P228, a little getting use to, but great, off set it on the other side with two 15Rnd mags.

Still use it with my 229, best I ever found.
    If you know the enemy and know yourself you need not fear the results of a hundred battles.
    Sun Tzu

Administrator
    It might take you a week or two to get used to shoulder carry - especially with a full weight full size firearm that you carry for long periods of time.
    Even if you are in good physical condition.

That would be since the harness strap does exert downward pressure on a body location that normally does not ever receive any constant weight.

After a week or so your shoulder will get used to it.

Andrews Monarch fan here. Can setup for Commander or J Frame. Very comfortable but living in FL I only use it in the winter. I consider it secondary to my IWB but still very useful.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Wide straps are a big plus. I too used the Miami Classic (as well as several others), and have a high opinion of it. I sometimes wear one under a light shirt when it gets hot, (the old tee shirt and Hawaiian shirt style), and find it works well as long as you have a smaller pistol such as a PPK or P232.

The draw is slower than from traditional OWB, but not by a huge margin. I have no problem with one-handed draw. Most horizontal shoulder holsters are meant to have the gun "ripped" from the holster forceably, and this takes some getting used to. There is a new technique to learn when you switch to a shoulder holster and it takes some practice as it feels less natural.

Depending on your activity level and/or amount of sitting, a shoulder holster can be very pleasant or it can beat your ribs constantly and be a large annoyance. Tie downs help alot.

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    Currently I have five of Lou Alessi's shoulder rigs all made specific to me. Before I retired they saw a lot of use but now I only use them on long car trips or when headed into a nasty part of town. They can be bulky and depending on the gun, get real heavy over the course of a day. I also have two blown cervical discs and a bum shoulder which can make carrying them a literal pain. If you are going to get one my advice is to get the best quailty that you can afford and a decent one is going to run $150 and up.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Have an Alessi Bodyguard courtesy of TwinCarry. It's my Harley rig for my model 19. Also use it for regular carry but with summer coming on I think it will stay my bike rig. It is very comfortable and secure and also very fast on the draw. No worry of sweeping yourself or someone if you keep your finger off the darn trigger until you have the sights on your target.

JMO SG

Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

I like one with tie down straps that attach to the belt. Without them, when you bend over, your gun and mags fly forward into view.

Quote Originally Posted by Chroode View Post
    I like one with tie down straps that attach to the belt. Without them, when you bend over, your gun and mags fly forward into view.
    All depends on the design. An Andrews Monarch will not do that due to back strap design.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links