Poor Customer Service Response

Poor Customer Service Response

This is a discussion on Poor Customer Service Response within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; From Thunderwear. The following was email traffic between me and them: Hi, I'm a retired Police Sgt and retired Air National Guard Security Forces. I ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Poor Customer Service Response

Thumbs down Poor Customer Service Response

From Thunderwear.

The following was email traffic between me and them:

Hi,

I'm a retired Police Sgt and retired Air National Guard Security Forces. I bought one of your small size holsters for my off-duty Ruger SPNY back in '99 or 2000. It has worked fine, and I have been very happy with it. Last month I started carrying my new Glock 30 in it.

About 6 months ago I noticed the very bottom of the holster, where the barrel is, is starting to wear through. What is the best reccommended way to repair it?

I have reccomended your holster on USA Carry and Defensive carry forums.

Thanks.
    "A citizen who shirks his duty to contribute to the security of his community is little better than the criminal who threatens it."

On Fri, 4/24/09, Thunderwear2000@aol.com <Thunderwear2000@aol.com> wrote:

Subject: Thunderwear Reply
    Date: Friday, April 24, 2009, 1:29 PM

Thunderwear is like clothing - It does wear out.

Time for a new Thunderwear Holster.

Thank you.

Thunderwear
    Gun Holsters Glock Holsters Concealment Holsters
    800 8329 3057 9-9 eastern 7 days

Hi,
    I think your probably right. I will get a new holster. I think I'll get a Smart Carry SmartCarry - Concealed Gun Holsters. Seems to be similar or better, and costs less. Thanks for the advice.

I will also make sure to copy and paste your email response to the USA Carry forum
    USA Carry - Open and Concealed Carry Information and Community
    Members: 7,636
    Threads: 6,578
    and the Defensive carry forums that I mentioned in my original email.
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/
    Threads: 66,713, Posts: 1,090,792, Members: 28,762

I figured you would at least let me know how to repair it, or ask me to mail you my old one and you would give me a percentage off a new one. Whatever.

Some of the posts by Chroode reccomending YOUR holster. Won't happen again.
    Body Size Affecting Concealment? - Page 3

summer time carry - Page 3

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ml#post1114166

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ml#post1114158

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ml#post1071058

http://www.thunderwear.com/faqs.asp
    FAQ

If I'm not satisfied can I return it?
    We offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee or your money back, for ANY reason. We are so confident that you will enjoy our product, our toll free number is always on every Holster, so you can recommend our product to others.
    Last edited by Chroode; April 25th, 2009 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Added Information

Looks as if they were correct in their response.
    When a car wears out, you do not get a discount on a new one!
    Why would you expect otherwise?

Jamie

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Bottom line is what is the original guarantee? Is it for life or a specified period? Considering the holster gave you 9-10 years of service pretty much speaks for it's quality. It almost sounds like you want a freebee. Also the fact that you praised the holster on various websites pretty much indicates that you were pleased with it's performance. I think I would simply purchase another of their holsters.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

LOL The holster lasted almost 10 years and you want them to do what? send you another one? Give you a discount on a new one?

Hmmm Erik doesnt give me a discount on holsters and yet I let everyone here know I like his work. Im sure other builders are the same way.

I promise you that anyone who really believes a lifetime warranty means getting a new one for free in the future is just wrong.

Seriously, do you think Crossbreed in 10 years or whatever is just gonna send everyone with a worn out Supertuck a brand new one? LOL
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    Absolutely, it's not made from kevlar now is it. I understand the posters frustration in just attempting to have a question answered but look at it this way, if they told you how to fix it and a week later the gun falls out thru the repair goes off and someone is hurt or killed guess who an attorney is going after? They did the correct thing/

No holster I have ever bought has worn out. As you can see from the original e-mail I did not ask for anything but a suggestion on how to fix the problem (a patch, or sewing, or something else they may know of).

Most companies desire repeat business and will extend to their customers some sort of a perk even it is a 10% discount, or a free meal, or whatever to keep the customer coming back. As a business owner you give the customer "the pickle" (great motivational movie) to keep them coming back.

Who knows how much they've profited from my word of mouth about the product. The business world knows a customer will tell very few people about the good things but they will tell many about the bad.

I thought their response was cold (not even thanking me for using their product), and non-inviting to continue with their product. Since they gave me no motivation to not try another company, I advised them that I would.

If I ran this business I would not let my customer service personnel answer in this manner.

OTOH, a little Good Will goes a long way towards customer loyalty:

I have a friend who bought an old, used, Dillon reloader (from not even the original owner). It was totally worn out. When the new owner contacted Dillon about parts & fixing it etc., Dillon sent him a new reloader. Dillons aren't cheap either.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

I understand how you feel, but like others said, you got almost 10 years of use out of it, sounds pretty good to me. And I don't know what you expected them to tell you about fixing it, it's cloth...pretty self-explanatory. What you were really searching for and expecting was a new holster. If you wanted a life-time warranty you should probably consider that for your next holster.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Sounds like they answered your question on repair as well...

...then you go on to "threaten" them with statistics..."I will also make sure to copy and paste your email response" as if you got some burr up your butt/chip on your shoulder. Seems pretty classless to me. I would of just thanked them and moved on.

VIP Member
    Hmm, I have a Thunderwear size large pocket standard with the small size waist. Yeah I know… lucky me! It fits the intended gun I mentioned and I like it. Ok, I can’t resist; I have an H&K “Squeeze-Cocker” in my “Thunderwear”.

Anyway, the sales gal “Amanda” was quite helpful when I placed the order. Back when I did the research, I discovered the patent number is the same for both TW & SC so I’m not sure what’s that all about. Frankly, there is no snag lip on my Thunderwear as the SC suggests. Anyway, she actually charged me the “gun show price” of 40-bucks and I considered it fair. If and when it wears out, I’ll toss it and go from there.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    ... “Squeeze-Cocker” in my Thunderwear”...
    As Ed McMahon used to say: "Hi OOOOOOOOOOO!"
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaSteve View Post
    I understand how you feel, but like others said, you got almost 10 years of use out of it, sounds pretty good to me. And I don't know what you expected them to tell you about fixing it, it's cloth...pretty self-explanatory. What you were really searching for and expecting was a new holster. If you wanted a life-time warranty you should probably consider that for your next holster.
    Thank you for understanding. I do agree it lasted along time and worked well. I was absolutely not wanting something for nothing. We are all differnet people with different expectations and views. I expected a response along the lines of :
    Thank you for contacting us. We are happy to see that you have enjoyed our product and we thank you for reccomending us. Unfortunately we will not be able to replace your holster, but if you will ship us the old one we can............................... or whatever.

Stroke me a little bit. I am not one of those penny pinching people that complain all the time and look for freebies. I've had very positive encounters with the very few companies that I have ever corresponded with before.

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    Sounds like they answered your question on repair as well...

...then you go on to "threaten" them with statistics..."I will also make sure to copy and paste your email response" as if you got some burr up your butt/chip on your shoulder. Seems pretty classless to me. I would of just thanked them and moved on.
    I will voice my opinion to a company that I feel is not practicing good customer relations. If you just "thank them and move on" they think you are satisfied and will continue doing business as usual and screw the next guy as well.

I started this thread because it is MY opinion that this was not a proper response to a customer. I understand the opposing views and respect your opinion. As to me being classless, I think not.

Quote Originally Posted by Chroode View Post
    Most companies desire repeat business and will extend to their customers some sort of a perk even it is a 10% discount, or a free meal, or whatever to keep the customer coming back. As a business owner you give the customer "the pickle" (great motivational movie) to keep them coming back.
    I dont. I offer a 15% discount on all repairs made for customers who are on a Maintenance Agreement with me. Of course they are paying me a fee to do the maintenance twice a year.

Who knows how much they've profited from my word of mouth about the product. The business world knows a customer will tell very few people about the good things but they will tell many about the bad.
    I agree with the second sentence. However, Because you were happy with the product and told others about it doesnt entitle you to a discount.

Personally, If someone is referred to my company from one of my existing customers I will mail a $25 gift card to the referring customer. They should not expect it though.

I thought their response was cold (not even thanking me for using their product), and non-inviting to continue with their product. Since they gave me no motivation to not try another company, I advised them that I would.
    They could have thanked you I agree. Your satisfaction with the product should be enough to continue using the product IMO. A thank you for your business is always nice though.

If I ran this business I would not let my customer service personnel answer in this manner.
    Im interested in hearing of the business you do run. As a business owner myself its always good to hear what others are doing.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Quote Originally Posted by Chroode View Post
    . If you just "thank them and move on" they think you are satisfied and will continue doing business as usual and screw the next guy as well.
    They didn't "Screw," you! If the worst you can say is that the email didn't gush over how loyal a customer you are, you have no complaint. Get over it.

I think Thunderwear could have replied to your inquiry in more of a business friendly professional manner. Considering your recommendations and plugs for the company a more tactful manor should have been in order. Sometimes it's the delivery not necessary the message.

PS- Duct tape is your friend.

PSS- Go SmartCarry!
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links