S&W Night Guard

This is a discussion on S&W Night Guard within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a new Model 396 Night Guard in .44 Spec., 5-shot, 2.5" barrel. It's a great gun but no one has a holster for ...

Thread: S&W Night Guard

S&W Night Guard

I have a new Model 396 Night Guard in .44 Spec., 5-shot, 2.5" barrel. It's a great gun but no one has a holster for it. After 3 e-mails I got S&W to answer as to what to ask for and they stated it's the same as a 686 L frame. I am looking for a top line OWB snap on or paddle and an IWB. If anyone can suggest a maker it would be greatly appreciated.

First time poster to this forum, Thanks,
    John

2. Remove Ads

I can...

HOLSTERS
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

John, I came THAT close to buying your gun. It's a looker for sure.
    NRA, IDPA, GSSF & GSSA member
    Certified Glock Armorer

If you want the best paddle around, check into the Kramer MSP Paddle.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by jem102 View Post
    I have a new Model 396 Night Guard in .44 Spec., 5-shot, 2.5" barrel. It's a great gun but no one has a holster for it. After 3 e-mails I got S&W to answer as to what to ask for and they stated it's the same as a 686 L frame. I am looking for a top line OWB snap on or paddle and an IWB. If anyone can suggest a maker it would be greatly appreciated.

First time poster to this forum, Thanks,
    John
    Let me know how you like that Smith. I have been thinking of that seven shot .357 since they came out but now they have a Nightguard that chambers the 40sw and 10mm so I could actually have a revolver that matches my duty ammo so im looking into that model.

retsupt: I did not know Fist made leather holsters. I have one of their Keydex IWB for a Glock and was not very pleased with it. I really like the looks of their paddle, seems to be well made. Have you tried any of their leather?

JimmyC: I called Kramer because several people told me their paddle in horsehide was great. They said they could probably make one but they did not seem very interested in the job so for $155.00 I thought I would look around a little more to see if I could find someone more interested in making it. I don't have any concern with the cost they just seemed "oh well" about making it. Do you have one of their paddles and if so did you go cow or horsehide?

drs & patrol, Positives: The gun has great balance, light weight and a very nice double action pull through. It has the X-Treme sights with a LARGE, round, night dot front. The rear is sculpted to match the outside diameter of the front dot and when you snap it up on the B-27 at the 7 yard line it just plain flat out targets! I have H&K, Glock, Ruger and Colts, none of them are as fast to align as this S&W. The trigger is well contoured to match up with the distance from the back strap and with a little practice you can "roll" the cylinder through all 5 rounds in 4-6 seconds staying in the vital zone with no problem. I have been shooting the Hornady 180 XTP's and the WW 200 Silver Tips. Let me tell ya "these ain't no Cowboy loads!" Yet the gun is very controllable. I feel it has more power than my H&K USP compact in .45 with the 230 Hydrashoks! The ejector rod is long enough to clear the empties from cylinder no problem.

Negatives: The rear sight loosened up after 40 rounds. A quick shot of carb cleaner and a drop of blue loctight on each screw and no problems in the next 100 rounds.
    5 round capacity...Yes-No-Maybe????????? The rounds hit hard ya just have to make them count!
    The black finish seems a little soft. I don't think it will wear too well in the holster but if it needs Duracoated (or some other bake-on) in 5 years so what.

Why: Other than actually in the work place I am never unarmed. If a store, restaurant or mall is marked no carry I don't shop there or I knowingly choose to ignore the posting (I don't do this to often as in my state they can pull your permit for this). After all these years I am just tired of the mag rotations, press checks, do the springs need replaced, clearing drills...you name it. A revolver is not a magic never fail tool but I do believe its simpler life.

Many Thanks to all of you, I will let you know what I come up with.
    John

John - I'm going to get a Milt Sparks PMK for a 696. Although I don't own one yet, it comes highly rated.
    If you get a custom holster just figure on waiting a couple months. Most the good makers are backed up these days.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by jem102 View Post
    retsupt: I did not know Fist made leather holsters. I have one of their Keydex IWB for a Glock and was not very pleased with it. I really like the looks of their paddle, seems to be well made. Have you tried any of their leather?
    Ha! What a question! Retsupt99 is probably Fist Holster's biggest investor, with dozens of their holsters. He never misses a chance to recommend Fist, and rightfully so. I've only had a 3 of their leather holsters but all of them were top notch work. You won't go wrong with a Fist holster, although there's plenty of other good makers around.

I've also owned the Sparks PMK that Bacon mentioned and it's great too.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry

Bacon and N-frame, Thanks for the reply. Iwill report back with whatever I get.
    John

Links