do it yourself IWB??

do it yourself IWB??

This is a discussion on do it yourself IWB?? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Has anyone ever converted an OWB belt holster to IWB? Been thinking about how maybe to do it, trick is without ruining the OWB holster. ...

do it yourself IWB??

Has anyone ever converted an OWB belt holster to IWB?

Been thinking about how maybe to do it, trick is without ruining the OWB holster.

Anyone done it? If so, how, and pics would be appreciated.

thanks
    NRA Life Member.
    H&K USP Compact .40
    Among others.

I haven't tried converting an OWB but I did a make it myself IWB. So far it hides well but I am having a problem with it pressing on my sciatic nerve when I carry in the 4 o'clock. Maybe I did something wrong when I made it? (Yeah I'm cheap and didn't want to spend the money ;-)

I tried to start a thread about this last night but failed miserably.

Im thinking you need to have a leather strap that goes through the belt loops and then you mount the belt clips to that.

Im actually surprised that the holster makers have not already done this.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Quote Originally Posted by AllAmerican View Post
    Im actually surprised that the holster makers have not already done this.
    FIST makes a number of holsters that convert between IWB and OWB.

CONBINATION INSIDE AND OUTSIDE HOLSTERS
    I always aim for the right eye...and I never miss - Goldeneye

I rigged a Galco matrix m7x to IWB a few weeks ago. I've been meaning to post about that here - I'll have to take some pics of the final product.

Galco, ultra deep carry, UDC

I bought one ,but it was double leather at the top, with a steel strap inside to help hold it open at the top. For me, this was uncomfortably thick, so I removed the doubler and steel, cut the front down 1 1/4", but left the back where it contacts the skin. the tuckable belt strap still works fine, and it is much slimmer, and now it's my favorite IWB rig. It fits my Colt Pocketlite .380, AMT Back-Up .380, And wife's Beretta Tomcat .32 which it was made for.

I was looking for a cheap, readily available holster for my XD45c and the Galco Matrix M7X fit the bill at less than $25 at my LGS.

As an OWB holster it works quite well but of course concealing the slide is easier IWB so I decided to see what I could come up with to convert it. My original plan was along the lines of a supertuck or MTAC with a large backing piece of leather with mounted belt clips. The local leather store wanted $20 for said large piece of leather, vs. $10 for a belt sized piece, so I ended up going with the belt sized piece figuring I could I always go back to plan A if I didn't like how it turned out. The results are more along the lines of a CTAC than an MTAC, but I think it works quite well and is certainly thinner without the larger backing leather.

Parts and tools used included:

-belt clips from Tandy Leather: 2 at $3
    -chicago screws from Tandy Leather: $4 for package of 10
    -leather strip: $10
    -drill
    -screwdriver

I initially used a full length strip of leather with mounted belt clips (first 3 pics) but decided to cut down on thickness by trimming out the middle section and mounting the resulting pieces to the wings of the holster. I think most OWB holsters could be converted to IWB using something like that longer strip of leather with belt clips on either end.

Cant is adjustable with the 3 holes through the leather, and I also drilled an extra hole through each clip for even more choices.

I'm pleased with how it turned out, particularly for the price (under $45) and the versatility of using it either IWB or OWB.

Tandy Leather Factory - Screw Post 1/4" Black Finish 10/pk

Tandy Leather Factory - Spring Belt/Holster Clip Black

I had this same thought a couple years ago. This is what I came up with...
    first attempt - Hidden Defense: How to turn your OWB into an IWB for $20...The Bucket Holster!
    second attempt - Hidden Defense: Another conversion from OWB to IWB - the OTI holster

The second attempt worked pretty well. I used it for several months before trying out and sticking with Crossbreed's Supertuck.
    Mine: Glock 36............Wife's: Ruger SP101 3"
    -------Ruger SR9....................Ruger SR9c
    -------S&W SW99 .45.............Charter Arms Undercover

Hidden Defense - Personal gun & holster designs/reviews.

Thanks for the responses folks, I knew I couldn't be the only one who had ever thought about it. I'll have to look thru my shop for leather and hardware and give it a go.
    NRA Life Member.
    H&K USP Compact .40
    Among others.

Links