Backpacking ccw holster options

This is a discussion on Backpacking ccw holster options within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm preparing for a 4 day backpacking trip with my son and some friends from church. What are some good CCW options while carrying a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backpacking ccw holster options

I'm preparing for a 4 day backpacking trip with my son and some friends from church. What are some good CCW options while carrying a large 65 liter backpack? I do not want to open carry since other folks are going on the trail with us. I'm considering the safepacker as on option. Does anyone know if the safepacker will attach to the weak side shoulder strap for a crossdraw? Are there other options?

Thanks for input. You guys are awesome!

You didn't tell us what you will be packing while out packing. I go light with the 642 (my BUG) strong side front pocket.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Quote Originally Posted by JAT40 View Post
    You didn't tell us what you will be packing while out packing. I go light with the 642 (my BUG) strong side front pocket.
    Ahh. Forgot to mention. I'll be carrying my Sig P229 in .40 S&W. At the moment my only other option is a Sig 2022 in 9mm. I prefer the .40 over the 9mm for the north Georgia mountains.

If concerned about other friends, use a fanny pack, or a pocket carry holster. Do you have the ability to do either? (f-pack and gun, or pocket holster and gun)
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    If concerned about other friends, use a fanny pack, or a pocket carry holster. Do you have the ability to do either? (f-pack and gun, or pocket holster and gun)
    Pocket carry is not really an option since it's a 229. A fanny pack is an option. My concern with a fanny pack is that the straps would get in the way of the backpack waist strap.

I do own a maxpedition fatboy jumbo. I use it when taking trips to the park with the kids, or trail hiking for an hour or so. It works great, but I can't figure out how to attach it or wear it with a full size pack.

Have you thought about getting a possibles bag. Good for a holster and you can put other stuff in it, Like fire starter, first aid kit, snak bars. You get the idea. Also when set up at camp site, they don't look out of place.
    It's not the bow or the arrow It's the NDN

I will never forget, me and daughters were scheduled to backpack into the Tremont west prong in the Great Smoky Mtns. just two weeks after a woman was mauled to death by a black bear at that location. Well, I figured, what are the odds that WE will be attacked. Probably almost zero. None the less, I had the Makarov [yes Makarov, it is all I had at the time] loaded with the best ammo I could find and had several reloads to boot. Had it in a fanny pack which offered very quick access considering I had a pack on. Consider the fanny pack. This scenario, hiking, is one in which the fanny pack actually works!

nice bear....nice bear.....

Quote Originally Posted by NDN-MAN View Post
    Have you thought about getting a possibles bag. Good for a holster and you can put other stuff in it, Like fire starter, first aid kit, snak bars. You get the idea. Also when set up at camp site, they don't look out of place.
    I could use the fatboy for in camp easy access. It would not look out of place at all.

Problem is that I don't know how to access it while on the trail.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Carried my 6" S&W model 57 in a Bianchi shoulder holster for 7 years in Alaska with my old Coleman external back pack sometimes weighing 140+ lbs. if I was successful hunting. Was very comfortable and kept the pistol out of the wx.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

I think the Safepacker is a good idea. There are some cheaper alternatives out there, I have an Uncle Mike's Pistol Pocket that will fit over the waist belt of my pack that will hold a Smith j-frame; don't know about the Sig. I think I paid $20 for it a couple of years ago.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Get on the phone with the helpful folks at The Wilderness, and ask them. They are best able to answer your question, I would think.

I own a couple of Safepackers; they are quite versatile in how they can be rigged to be carried. I am not sure about fastening one to a vertical strap. I have worn them on belts and horizontal pack straps.

I think that Maxpedition rig is an excellent option.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Safepacker is the way to go. I carry my son in a kelty framed child carrier and my safepacker fits on my waste and doesn't interfere.

VIP Member
    I slip a zippered pouch on my pack belt and drop in (previously a S&W 640) my S&W 340.

A 229 would be too big for me but I'd prolly go with the SafePacker.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I think there was some sort of thread or comment on here a while back where someone had a sort of drop leg pouch they used. It mounts like a holster, but instead it is a zippered pouch. I know this is kinda "tacticool" but it would work nicely. To keep people from wondering too much you could put a small first aid kit and some other small essentials to show them if they ask about it. Perhaps someone else remembers this and can provide a link...I'll try

Hey I found it...here is the link to the actual thread http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ckpacking.html

And after a pm I discovered these items http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MOLLE432-1.html and http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MOLLE453-1.html

hope this helps or at least gets a start
    Last edited by BamaSteve; April 28th, 2009 at 02:37 AM. Reason: found it!!!
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links