Summer Carry

This is a discussion on Summer Carry within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have heard most of you say that you dont change your gun per the weather but i think i might want to. The XD ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Summer Carry

Summer Carry

I have heard most of you say that you dont change your gun per the weather but i think i might want to. The XD is kinda big for my summer clothes and i KNOW i would get printed and wouldnt find it very comfy wearing it while playing basketball or in the park chasing the kid around. Would it be better to just bring it with me in a fannypack and leave it near where im going to be "playing"? Or mabie find a smaller one than i can carry better in summer clothes? I was thinking getting of getting a keltec or mabie a taurus pocket peice for thouse occasions?

DOes anyone actually switch to a smaller gun for thouse occasions and if so what do you carry and in which holster method?

Thanks
    I carry because I care.
    "An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject."
    "Cling to the Father and His Holy name, and don't go riding on the Long Black Train" - Josh Turner

2. Remove Ads

Gelicious: I am thinking about a S&W 442 in a DeSantis Nemesis holster for pocket carry, along with a Kahr MK9 IWB.

JT
    I switch from a Glock 23 to a Glock 26 in the summer. Sometimes I use a S&W 642 in the summer.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Funny thing...with a UC Comfort shirt I dont have to switch from my Sig 299. Its as easy to conceal under a polo/t-shirt as it is under a dress shirt. But that said I do occasionally switch to my 340PD in the summer, but only occasionally.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

I sometimes switch to my P3AT in a pocket holster when I'ts really hot outside (90+), but often I'll carry my 1911 or P-01 in an IWB with untucked t-shirt and open button short-sleeve shirt concealing the gun. When the new Kel-tec 9mm comes out, I might look into that for replacing the P3AT.

Thumbs up

I carry a S&W 642.year round. My always holster is a smartcarry because of itís versatility. I have worn it in many situations outdoors and have even fallen with it on and my gun has never dislodged. The nice thing about a smartcarry is that you can wear it under the most minimal clothes (swim shorts) and nobody has a clue your carrying. I see you have a 686. I used to carry a Sp101 3Ē in my smartcarry without any trouble. Iíve also used a fanny pack (belly bag) but only when Iím out in the woods cutting firewood and itís under my bibs. I donít like the look of a belly bag so I wouldnít wear it any other time.

However my main message to you Gelicious is to never leave your gun unattended. Most times when I see someone with a belly bag on in a non-sporting situation I think CC. However a belly bag in a sporting situation would probably not give anyone any second thoughts.
    livin in the woods...feelin mighty good

Assistant Administrator
    Would it be better to just bring it with me in a fannypack and leave it near where im going to be "playing"?
    I'd say a big NO to that idea - it must be IMO on your person (and so totally in your control) at all times.

I am lucky that I can still CC the 226 even in peak summer - just by using my Smith &Alexander vest - but if push came to shove then R9 will go in pocket. By that token a P3AT would do same.

I also would resort to SmartCarry if I had to - not that I like it greatly but it sure does allow for deep concealment if needed. Carry the biggest and best you can for conditions and if running around is on the menu - pay attention to your retention options.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

JT
    I was going to comment on the “leaving it near where I am going to be playing”, but than I thought that he might have meant locked in a car. But V-fib and P95Carry were right to bring it up, because it should be clarified.
    Last edited by JT; March 2nd, 2006 at 12:07 PM.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I carry a Kahr P9 year round. It's perfect for CC, small and light weight. I sometimes switch to a fanny pack or a belly band in summer, but the gun is always under my control. I also have a Kel Tec P11 which I sometimes carry.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

I agree. Never leave the pistol unattended. You don't want t a kid at the park getting into it. Also, it is a very good target for thieves.
    I'm married to my Kahr.

I havn't CC'd in summer yet, but hope to CC my Skyy CPX-1 when "Range testing" done. It fits in my pants with a pocket holster; either cargo shorts , casual slacks , dress slacks , or even business suit pockets .

Otherwise, I have a G17 with an OWB - harder to CC.

I always have my CC on my person.

Well, I live in Miami FL so it's summertime year round. OTOH real summer is a BEEATCH in this town, so I'll probably shift from the full sized USP around town to my Sig P245 or my Glock M27 in a Blade-Tech IWB or a Belly Bag. A 2XL Hawaiiain shirt goes nicely over the IWB and it disappears even on my 250 pound frame. I really am trying to lose the weight this summer. 40 pounds is the goal. I've done it before....
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    Exsoldier762. good luck on the weight loss. I have been at it since Jan. 1, it is coming off, but never as fast as you would like it too. I think it will definitely help my CC for the summer time. ANd I want to be able to watch my kids grow up. Somebody has to teach them to shoot.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Hi Guys!

I typically wear either a 5" 1911 or a Glock 21 (with a grip reduction) OWB in a Def-Con during winter. Summertime, it's either a Glock 17 (with a grip reduction) or 5" 1911 IWB in a Max-Con V or VI. With a loose fitting tee shirt, concealment is a breeze.
    For you tropical folks, I lived in FL for 14 years. The summertime set up that I listed above worked really well - even in 100 degree temps when worn with cargo shorts and a loose tee. I hope this helps - but please remember that everyone is different. You've got to find out what works for you. Good luck!

I don't have my chl yet so I can't comment on the different carry options. But I can tell you about my experience with Kel-Tec. My uncle that I frequently go shooting with bought a Kel-Tec P3AT. he sent it back to the factory because a pin kept on coming out. I shot it after it was supposedly fixed and the pin still kept on working loose.

For a very small gun I'd consider neither a Kahr PM9 in 9mm or a S&W 637 in .38+P. The 637 is 15oz unloaded and would undoubtedly be more reliable that the little Kel-Tec. Others have had good experience with Kel-Tec but based on my experience I will never buy anything from KT.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links