SmartCarry- think this is a bad idea...?

This is a discussion on SmartCarry- think this is a bad idea...? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have extolled the quality, value, and comfort of the SmartCarry numerous times... everyone who carries should have one in their holster drawer, IMO. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SmartCarry- think this is a bad idea...?

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar

SmartCarry- think this is a bad idea...?

I have extolled the quality, value, and comfort of the SmartCarry numerous times... everyone who carries should have one in their holster drawer, IMO.

I live in Florida and work from home, which means short of a wedding or a court date, I probably won't put on long pants again till Thanksgiving. Shorts, untucked Hawaiian shirts, and flip flops are de riguer for me... over in the "Flip flop thread", someone said something about someone that looks like me has "given up trying"...

I prefer to think of it as a perk of designing my life and my business so I make a good living and I don't ever have to wear a tie...

Anyway, I have found that around the house, wearing a SmartCarry outside my pants is the most comfortable carry option I have found yet. I spin it around to the 3 o'clock position and it carries very comfortably.

When running brief errands over the last month or two, I have gotten in the habit of wearing my SmartCarry in the front as it was intended, but outside the pants and covered with the bottom of my untucked, festively colored shirts. Depending on the shirt, it leaves roughly 1/2 inch to an inch of the holster peeking out from under the bottom of my shirt. The barrel does not "print", and it just looks like I have a denim fanny-pack under my shirt.

I've been watching people carefully and no one has seemed to pay any attention at all... the only issue I have encountered is we had a windy day a couple weeks ago, and the wind did blow my shirttails around a bit...

Also, this is a very fast draw... much faster than I can pull from my MTAC IWB...

Below are 2 images... the first is a SmartCarry photo from DC member HowardCohodas (hope Howie doesn't mind!), and the second is the same photo where I overlaid an image of a Hawaiian print, to kinda illustrate what it looks like. I Photoshopped out the tag, as I removed the tag on mine...

What do we think...?
    Attached Images
    Last edited by PointnClick; April 30th, 2009 at 01:23 AM.
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

2. Remove Ads

Sounds good to me. If it works, then by all means go with it....just don't snag the trigger on the tropics if you know what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by PointnClick View Post
    I have extolled the quality, value, and comfort of the SmartCarry numerous times... everyone who carries should have one in their holster drawer, IMO.

I live in Florida and work from home, which means short of a wedding or a court date, I probably won't put on long pants again till Thanksgiving. Shorts, untucked Hawaiian shirts, and flip flops are de riguer for me... over in the "Flip flop thread", someone said something about someone that looks like me has "given up trying"...

I prefer to think of it as a perk of designing my life and my business so I make a good living and I don't ever have to wear a tie...

Anyway, I have found that around the house, wearing a SmartCarry outside my pants is the most comfortable carry option I have found yet. I spin it around to the 3 o'clock position and it carries very comfortably.

When running brief errands over the last month or two, I have gotten in the habit of wearing my SmartCarry in the front as it was intended, but outside the pants and covered with the bottom of my untucked, festively colored shirts. Depending on the shirt, it leaves roughly 1/2 inch to an inch of the holster peeking out from under the bottom of my shirt. The barrel does not "print", and it just looks like I have a denim fanny-pack under my shirt.

I've been watching people carefully and no one has seemed to pay any attention at all... the only issue I have encountered is we had a wind,sy day a couple weeks ago, and the wind did blow my shirttails around a bit...

Also, this is a very fast draw... much faster than I can pull from my MTAC IWB...

Below are 2 images... the first is a SmartCarry photo from DC member HowardCohodas (hope Howie doesn't mind!), and the second is the same photo where I overlaid an image of a Hawaiian print, to kinda illustrate what it looks like. I Photoshopped out the tag, as I removed the tag on mine...

What do we think...?
    Reminds me of Modonna wearing her underware on the outside in the 1980,s.....heres mine,I wear it under my cargo shorts working outside,everday,Glock 27, 40cal.

Senior Moderator
    As long as it works, thats all that matters.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Nothing beats working from home, armed and comfy...
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

This is the only forum I ever visit where grown men talk about bulges
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I would say be careful of weary people wondering what exactly is peeking from under your shirt if your in public.
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

If you mention that you heard about the smart carry on Gun Talk, you get a discount.

Of course you should actually listen to Tom Gresham's Gun Talk, but this tip is in case you missed that show.
    I like my solvent and my lubricant for my guns to rhyme, so I use Gasoline and Vasoline.

From Pennsylvania? www.pafoa.org

As long as it works...but I gather that FL has no open-carry allowed, so watch the wind...
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

You are right, it looks like a belt bag. I think its a pretty good idea. Just another benefit of living in Florida.

I have my M&P 40c in a SmartCarry right now @ 9 O'clock on side of my shorts, very comfortable. Would not be wearing out side of pants/shorts out of the house with a cover shirt due to lack of retention.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

VIP Member
    Yeah, well I have and use the "Thunderwear" version (same thing) but I haven’t considered an external mount. Actually, it may well be a convenient alternative in certain cases. I live in the hottest part of the country and I wear nearly the same dress code as you. I’ll have to try it.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

But one issue to consider here is the retention offered by the SC being inside of your pants vs the outside. Inside, there is an'envelope' of containment and outside, you would not have that retention.

Smart Carry is not for me, but that's another issue.
    I certainly would not be wearing it as a floppy holster on the outside of the pants, either inside or outside of the house. It leaves too many possibilities for loss of the weapon...a slip on the stairs, rough play with the dog, or bumped by a kid.
    I like to know that my sidearm is secure.
    Smart Carry is only secure when worn inside the pants.
    OK, that's my $.02...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

IMO its the worst way to carry ever. To each his own. I too am in a hot climate and wear shorts everyday.

I think if it works for you then go for it. Its just not for me.

I wont wear the Smart Carry in the pants. Outside the pants is an accident waiting to happen IMO.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links