Kahr MK9 - Help me decide on IWB Holster

This is a discussion on Kahr MK9 - Help me decide on IWB Holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While I am in the process of awaiting my permit to get here in the mail (class taken in early March, they processed payment a ...

Thread: Kahr MK9 - Help me decide on IWB Holster

Kahr MK9 - Help me decide on IWB Holster

While I am in the process of awaiting my permit to get here in the mail (class taken in early March, they processed payment a week ago, so I've got plenty of time to get ready) I am doing research on getting a holster. I have pretty much given up on doing regular pocket carry, after doing some reading on IWB (was originally concerned about comfort and concealment...not anymore). I know a lot about holsters seems to be personal preference but I would really prefer not spending hundreds of dollars on multiple holsters, I'd like to get the right one first.

I'm 5' 10'' with an athletic/lean build at 185 lbs. I don't really have a gut (I'm waiting till I have kids/get married to do that) and was thinking of doing appendix carry. I live in FL so attire is pretty much cargo shirts and light tshirt 90 % of the time.

I'll be carrying a Kahr MK9 with Crimson Trace lasergrips, which add a very slight bit of width to the grips themselves and maybe a quarter-inch of protrusion just under the trigger guard for the activation. I am still unsure if that makes a difference but I would prefer and hope that it doesn't in case I don't use the Crimson Trace (they are about to be sent off, having issues with batteries, so if it is an ongoing problem I may just forget about them)

Here are a few holsters I've narrowed it down too, in order of preference so far... note, I am thinking kydex for durability, leather looks nice and everything but right now Kydex seems to be the way to go. I wanted maximum comfort, to forget I'm even carrying one, also something that is easy to be comfortable while driving. Since I only wear a t-shirt, this has to be comfortable on or next to bare skin or at least prevent the gun from rubbing against it.

Comp-Tac 2 O'Clock IWB - Looks nice, I like the clip on it (by the way, what is the difference in 'standard' and a J-Hook, the j-hook is just easier to /clipunclip I take it? I'm not sure but I think this sits higher than other IWB's but does so to make it more comfortable when you sit down...

Fist K4 - Tuckable Kydex IWB Holster I've read on here that Fist Kydex is Ultra-thin and I like that...I'll probably request the ultra-suede backing for comfort. Fist seems to have great customer service and quality holsters. (actually all these guys do from what I've read here)

Cross-Breed Supertuck - It's 3rd on the list because it's not custom-fitted for my gun, also it looks like putting this thing on isn't as quick as the others. I know myself well enough that if putting something on becomes tedious, I'll either throw it in a drawer and buy something else, or not carry, which isn't safe.

Again, I have zero carry experience and zero holster experience. I'm looking for any fellow MK9 or PM series owners who can tell me what works for them. I know I can't go technically wrong with any of these holsters and I may have to just try for myself. I'd prefer to get it 'right' the first time.

2. Remove Ads

Well, if you decide against Kydex, here's my PM9 in D. M. Bullard Dual Carry.
    Same holster as in avatar, but for different gun....this is very comfy, and of course it just disappears.

I'm an all leather guy, except for pocket carry.

Also, I think any custom fit holster would need to allow for that laser. These are quite precise for fit/boning. Probably the kydex ones would too.

- OS

EW3
    +1 on the Supertuck.

I had one for my MK9 (now traded) and have one for my Sig P239.

They are great, comfortable, very concealable holsters. Order today and you'll have it in 2-3 weeks.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

+1 for supertuck. I wear one everyday. I am 6' and 165 lbs and my glock 30 disappears. I do also have one for my PM40 and the lightest t shirt will easily hide it. It only takes me about 10 seconds to put it on. I also carry against bare skin and have never had a problem.

How does the Supertuck work for Appendix (2 O'Clock) carry? That's where I plan to use it...

I like Fist hosters and I see that you chose one, but I think that you might want to check into something with bit more of a cant, and in leather (more comfortable).
    We all have to figure out what works best, so go ahead and get youself a holster box right now...

Stay armed...enjoy the holster search...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    I have a VMII, MTAC and Dakota Defender for my PM9. They are all great holsters and it's hard to pick a clear winner. I usually go with velcro clips but lately I've been wearing the VMII with the kydex/tuckable clips. Very good combo that's easy to take on and off and is very concealable. I want to give the FIST K4 w/ultrasuede a try next. I have two K5 pocket holsters, one plain kydex and another with the ultrasuede/hybrid and it's a great pocket holster. The ultrasuede does not add to the thickness much at all. Does anyone know if the K4 only comes with the J hook? I was thinking the velcro would work well with it also but will it give enough support with the one clip design? I'm looking for a setup that is thin and very concealable.

I have an MK9 and use a Milt Sparks VM2. Long wait but really worth it.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    With those laser grips, custom is pretty much the way to go. I sometimes carry a Smith 3913 and had very good luck with a IWB holster from HBE. He's fast and his work is superb.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    For my P9 my favorite IWB is the Sparks Executives companion.
    Milt Sparks Holsters

In my opinion the extra leather skirt makes it conform to my body, and prevents the holster muzzle from digging in. I have not found the loops over the holster to be any disadvantage in concealing.

Regards,
    Jerry

I second the Supertuck. It's great for my PM9 and PM45 - I usually carry about 7:30 (lefty). I don't know how it would be with appendix carry though. There's quite a bit of leather on the backing and it looks like it might dig into your belly/thighs with appendix carry. Can't say from experience, however, as I've never tried. No problem with behind the hip carry. Good luck!
    -LP
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." - Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-188

Right now I'm thinking about doing the Qwikclip, it seems to be a Supertuck variety just made for smaller guns and only has one clip. They say it's meant for appendix carry; hopefully that's the right option for me...

I have a supertuck from crossbreed for my Glocks but I have to admit that I really love the TT Gunleather IWB I got for my PM9 which will fit an MK9 just as well.

Check it out here.
    Jeff
    NRA Member
    Kimber Ultra Carry II, Glock G23 & G36, Kahr PM9, Winchester 1300 Defender 12gauge pump
    (my favorite but hard to hide)

Links