K&D convertible pocket holster?

This is a discussion on K&D convertible pocket holster? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am torn between the Fist pocket holster and the K&D pocket holster for the PM9 with Crimson Trace. I like the convertible style better ...

I am torn between the Fist pocket holster and the K&D pocket holster for the PM9 with Crimson Trace. I like the convertible style better even though I only carry in my front pocket because it masks the gun better.

How slick are the K&D pocket holsters inside? I've tried some others recently that are too tight, and they occasionally come out of my pocket with the gun. If release is a problem, I'll go to the Fist instead.

Thanks for your help.

VIP Member
    I just sold a K&D convertible for a Kel-Tec P32. http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...drawer-al.html

I used it with and without the anti-print panel for about two years. I also have a regular K&D pocket holster for the Colt Mustang for sale. I used it for at least a year. I have one for my Charter Arms Bulldog .44 Special and just got one in for my Kahr CW9.

The Pocket Defender is not as tight as a belt holster because retention is not a desired result. The inside of the holster gets slicker the more it is used. The roughness of the leather smooths out as the pistol slides back and forth across it. I have never had trouble with my Pocket Defenders coming out of my pocket with the pistol. The design helps to prevent that in a couple of ways. The extension that comes under the grip helps to keep the gun upright, but also it helps to keep the holster in the pocket because it catches at the back of the pocket opening when the gun is pulled out. I use the top of the extension as a push off point when I draw from my Pocket Defender. When I grasp the pistol my index finger is pointed down beside the trigger guard. My middle finger is used to push the holster off the gun and my ring and little fingers grasp the grip of the gun. As soon as the gun clears the holster my middle finger goes back where it belongs on the pistol grip.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

I am going to try a Fist Kydex pocket holster for my KelTec PF-9. I really like the looks of the thumb pushoff. The Desantis is working, but I am hoping the Fist works better for me.

Quote Originally Posted by gseely View Post
    I am torn between the Fist pocket holster and the K&D pocket holster for the PM9 with Crimson Trace. I like the convertible style better even though I only carry in my front pocket because it masks the gun better.

How slick are the K&D pocket holsters inside? I've tried some others recently that are too tight, and they occasionally come out of my pocket with the gun. If release is a problem, I'll go to the Fist instead.

Thanks for your help.

K&D pocket holster are great, I've owned one but they are not my top pocket holster picks. I would always recommend Kramer, Blackbird (by PCS) or Mika. Some find the Mika a little too thick.

Back to K&D; The holster hides the pistol well especially with a PM9. The only draw back is that it requires 2 hands to draw the pistol. Your weak hand to hold it down while you draw with your strong hand. The reason for this is that the holster design doesn't have any flared corners to snag on to the corner pocket. Also with the K&D convertible holster with the removable anti-print panel, since it's a seperated piece, it makes the holster a liitle thicker.

Here's the K&D. Notice there is nothing that prevents the hoslter from coming out.

PCS Blackbird: The circled area works well

Kramer has the same concept:

See the back of the Kramer holster, hides the pistol well:

I have no feedback on the FIST pocket holster, don't own one.

SA EMP ~ Sig P232s ~ Walther PP ~ Makarov ~ S&W 442 ~ Ruger LCP
    HK USP Compact ~ HK P2000sk ~ RIA Tactical ~ FN Hi-Power ~ Sig GSR C3

Thanks a million for everyone's help. It is sincerely appreciated.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    I had a K&D Pocket Defender 2-in-1 and while it was a very well made holster that worked well, it got sold and replaced with a FIST K5 w/ultrasuede. I haven't tried many pocket holsters with the PM9 but it's going to be hard to beat the FIST IMO.

Wasabi, Do you have a picture of the fist with the ultrasuede you can share?

Is the ultrasuede on both sides, or just one? I have been planning on getting just the Kydex version of the K5 for my PF-9, but I think the ultrasuede might be a good addition to this holster. Any other words of wisdom?

KD makes nice holsters, but the 2-1 pocket holster I had for my Keltec would keep the anti print panel snapped on. It constantly popped off, even after a trip back to the factory. I now use a DeSantis Super Fly and could not be happier

VIP Member
    Hey, Twin, I have to disagree on the necessity of using two hands on the K&D. I have been carrying in one for about 3 years and the only one that required me to expend any effort was the one for the Charter Arms Bulldog. That is because of the way the closes slightly around the cylinder. I learned to use my thumb at the top of the holster to release the gun. I notice that all your photos were of revolvers and I agree that it is not as easy to draw a revolver from a Pocket Defender. The OP is talking about a Kahr PM9 which would be very similar to my CW9. BTW - Great photos as usual.

I described how I draw one handed in my reply above. Below are some photos showing how I do it. The photos are not great, but I think they show how using the middle finger works. I moved my thumb from normal position to allow the middle finger to be visible.

This is the grip that I take when reaching into my pocket.

This is the same grip from the inside of the hand.

This is what extending the middle finger in contact with the wing produces. The holster will literally fall off of the gun at this point so the holster stays in the pocket and the gun comes out.

I have used this method with the Kel-Tec P32, the Colt Mustang and now with the Kahr CW9. It may not work for everyone, but it works for me.

George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

You guys are missing the boat if you don't look at Fist's #5K pocket holster with the 'thumb push'...the perfect pocket holster.

Hugs the thigh, the holster NEVER comes out...no 'hooking the holster is needed...it NEVER tips in the pocket (important).

You can get it in leather too, but kydex is best for the pocket.
    I have at least 7 of these for various pistolas...

Fist #5K Pocket Holster
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have NEVER had any issues with my Pocket Defender coming out of my pocket.
    Love it and would order more -

Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg View Post
    Hey, Twin, I have to disagree on the necessity of using two hands on the K&D. I have been carrying in one for about 3 years and the only one that required me to expend any effort was the one for the Charter Arms Bulldog. That is because of the way the closes slightly around the cylinder. I learned to use my thumb at the top of the holster to release the gun. I notice that all your photos were of revolvers and I agree that it is not as easy to draw a revolver from a Pocket Defender. The OP is talking about a Kahr PM9 which would be very similar to my CW9. BTW - Great photos as usual.
    Hi dr_cmg, I didn't catch this till now. After reading your comment, it does makes sense that the revolver would be more of a challange then a flatter type pistol like the CW9. Using your thumb to help release the "revolver" is a smart thing to do, it just requires practice. Thanks for you input!

Likewise, your pictures are great! Thanks for sharing.
    SA EMP ~ Sig P232s ~ Walther PP ~ Makarov ~ S&W 442 ~ Ruger LCP
    HK USP Compact ~ HK P2000sk ~ RIA Tactical ~ FN Hi-Power ~ Sig GSR C3

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinCarry View Post
    Hi dr_cmg, I didn't catch this till now. After reading your comment, it does makes sense that the revolver would be more of a challange then a flatter type pistol like the CW9. Using your thumb to help release the "revolver" is a smart thing to do, it just requires practice. Thanks for you input!

Likewise, your pictures are great! Thanks for sharing.
    Twin, the using the thumb on the revolver works especially well for me because my Bulldog is DAO and has no exposed hammer. With an exposed hammer or a S&W Bodyguard or Centennial style frame it might not work so well and the tab at the top of the holster might be the best solution.

Take care.
    George

Links