Sparks I-BAK flat on backside

This is a discussion on Sparks I-BAK flat on backside within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Also posted on 1911 forum. Would appreciate any maker or anyone to comment. Quote from Sparks site {The I-BAK is formed completely to the outer ...

Thread: Sparks I-BAK flat on backside

Also posted on 1911 forum. Would appreciate any maker or anyone to comment.

Quote from Sparks site {The I-BAK is formed completely to the outer pouch, leaving the backside of the holster more or less flat. The result is a holster which can conform to the curve of the hip, between its widely spaced belt slots, but not collapse when the gun is withdrawn.} End Quote

I have a Sparks I-BAK for a 1911 SA Compact. It is a simple but great holster. I wonder why other holsters, unlike the I-BAK, are formed both inner and outer sides? In theory the flat inner should be the most comfortable construction.

I hope Tony will comment when he gets the chance.
    Others are also welcome to express their views. The I-BAK does not seem to be a popular holster, but its pancake design, and low ride are about perfect for me. I just wish it had a body shield, but that is not an option.

I think the Axiom would profit from a flat back.

Regards,
    Jerry

"Our I-BAK or Improved Baker holster, has its roots in the original design by maker Roy Baker of Magnolia, Arkansas.
    The style, sometimes referred to as a belt slide, although more often by its original designation, "pancake". The original Baker design is distinguished by the two (or sometimes more) belt slots cut both fore and aft of the holster. In service, the positioning of the slots allow the weapon to be pulled in tight to the body for optimal concealment and security.

Unlike that of Bakers original pancake design, the I-BAK is formed completely to the outer pouch, leaving the backside of the holster more or less flat. The result is a holster which can conform to the curve of the hip, between its widely spaced belt slots, but not collapse when the gun is withdrawn. A combination single sight rail, and deeply formed sight channel, provide plenty of protection and clearance for even the tallest of front sights.
    The Improved Baker can be made to accommodate most makes and models of semi-autos."
    photo/description added by qkshooter

I agree Jerry... I have a DeSantias that is a nice little holster, but it isn't totally flat on the back,.. If it was I think I would totally forget I have it on,..

Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    Also posted on 1911 forum. Would appreciate any maker or anyone to comment.

Quote from Sparks site {The I-BAK is formed completely to the outer pouch, leaving the backside of the holster more or less flat. The result is a holster which can conform to the curve of the hip, between its widely spaced belt slots, but not collapse when the gun is withdrawn.} End Quote

I have a Sparks I-BAK for a 1911 SA Compact. It is a simple but great holster. I wonder why other holsters, unlike the I-BAK, are formed both inner and outer sides? In theory the flat inner should be the most comfortable construction.

I hope Tony will comment when he gets the chance.
    Others are also welcome to express their views. The I-BAK does not seem to be a popular holster, but its pancake design, and low ride are about perfect for me. I just wish it had a body shield, but that is not an option.

I think the Axiom would profit from a flat back.

Regards,
    Jerry
    Jerry, I too like the I-BAK. I have been using one to carry my Kimber 3" Ultra since 2000 and have found it to be a very comfortable holster.
    NRA life member.

Administrator
    That will likely be my next holster from Sparks ~ once I get off of my duff and onto the telephone.

Tony replied to my thread on 1911 forum.
    Sparks I-BAK Flat Backside - 1911Forum

Regards,
    Jerry

Thanks

Thanks for the post I've been looking for a good OWB since I just can't get comfortable with IWB. I have clothes issues.

I know people like CT supertuck but I just can't get used to it and have stopped wearing it months ago. Thanks again.
    Nevada CFP
    Utah CFP

Hi Beretta96,

You are very welcome. We have so many shapes, etc that no one holster or type fits all.
    I almost never wear IWB, but when I do the Sparks ExC is my favorite
    I have never used the Supertuck, but a lot of folks like it. I don't think it would suit me, but how do I know since I have not tried it?

For an OWB the I-BAK is hard to beat.

Have a good week-end.

Regards,
    Jerry

Sponsored Links