Done Using Current IWB Holster!

This is a discussion on Done Using Current IWB Holster! within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; At the range today I decided to burn up my current SD ammo so I pulled, pointed, BANG, click. "What the...?" Turns out my release ...

Thread: Done Using Current IWB Holster!

At the range today I decided to burn up my current SD ammo so I pulled, pointed, BANG, click. "What the...?" Turns out my release was pressed at some point inside my holster and I have been walking around with one shot of ammo. Thankfully the mag didn't fall out at some point.

This is the third time in the past couple days where the release has apparently been pushed through the leather. I'm left handed BTW, and have been using a Don Hume 715 IWB holster. I guess the leather has gotten supple and softer?

Does anybody have any experience with this? This is my first leather holster as I have used Sidearmor products (kydex) almost exclusively until now since they don't make a holster for my current carry gun. Well this holster is now out and the OWB Paddle holster is in for now. This severely limits the shirts I can wear to conceal it.

Oh yeah, I just finished my order for a CrossBreed Supertuck Holster and hopefully it will arrive sooner rather than later!
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

just carefully drill out the leather to give the mag catch some room...

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    never had that problem with my don hume holster
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

What kind of gun? Does it have an aftermarket extended mag release on it? Is the mag release reversible? I hadn't ever thought about it, but it probably is safer if you are left handed to have the mag release on the right, or body side of the holster.

los
    Weak mag release spring..?
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

VIP Member
    Is kydex so bad?
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

I have dozens of Fist holsters and a couple of Galcos and I have never experienced anything like that...not even a manual safety (1911) hasn't been touched.
    Fist makes 'em properly 'boned'...important!

Stay amred...it's a 'boned' thing...stay safe! IMHO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

More the gun than the holster. I suspect if you drill it out - then it may get hung up on the draw.

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    What kind of gun? I EDC in a Hume 715 with a Walther PPS but because of the PPS's unique mag release lever I never have that problem.

I keep a J-frame revolver in the same holster. Ever consider carrying a revolver?
    NRA Life Member

Had this happen with my Kel Tec in a Galco Sto and Go. Filed down the mag release so it did'nt stick out so far.

Flyboy has a point about it catching if I drill a hole so that's a no-go.

The spring is as stiff as the day I got it.

Not going to limit myself to six or 5 shots in a revolver when I got 17 now.

As far as moving the release to the other side I don't know. I haven't really given it much thought. Being left handed has always required me to adapt and I'm very comfortable using either my middle or trigger finger (depending on gun) to release the mag.

And filing down the release is an option that I will consider if I don't like my Supertuck holster when it arrives.

I'm under the assumption that you get what you pay for and that's what I got in regards to this holster. The leather where the mag release sits is supple and easily manipulated with my fingers. I can take one finger and press the mag release through the leather and pop my mag out. I don't know if this has always been the case but I have worn this holster daily for months now and never had this happen until this past week. I haven't done anything differently other than now keep checking to see if my mag is still seated.

With that in mind is there any product or method I can use to "harden" the leather in that spot? Or is it something that has to be done during the making of the holster? This is my first leather holster up until now have been very satisfied with it.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

How old is it ? I have been wearing one for about four years give or take a month or two,the lether is fine & I put clip between my belt & through a belt loop cants just fine no problems Lucky I guess.
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Links