Specific OWB holster search

This is a discussion on Specific OWB holster search within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Guys, since I have changed jobs I am now in a place where I can open carry all day long while I work. I carry ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Specific OWB holster search

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar

Specific OWB holster search

Guys, since I have changed jobs I am now in a place where I can open carry all day long while I work. I carry my XD45acp Service in a CompTac Minotaur (Mtac) IWB.

Its hot here in Florida and its hot in the place I work and I am finding that I can no longer stand my gun being soaked with sweat all day long.

I love my CompTac Mtac for IWB and will carry that way on days off where I am not so active as I am at work.

Today I began carrying OWB with my XD gear holster. This holster works but it sux. No retention and it places the gun too far from my body and it doesn't feel secure.

I have done a search and have not completely answered specifics as to what holster I may be looking for. I know exactly what I want in the holster but I don't have a clue which holsters will offer what I am asking. I hope you can help!

Here is my criteria that I will not compromise on:

- Must be comfortable and very good quality (price point doesn't matter)
    - Keeps the heavy gun very close and tight to my body
    - Rides high and feels secure (no wobble)
    - Must be adjustable for cant or have a good forward cant built in
    - Can be leather, kydex or a hybrid
    - Has good retention without a trigger lock retention system
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

2. Remove Ads

Thats what I have. Just recently switched to OWB for my p345 ended up w/ a don hume holster works marvelously. Although the p345 is much lighter and thinner than the XD. I'll have to follow this thread and maybe i'll have the same luck in finding a OWB for my XD as well. I'd Suggest a Don Hume just because I seem to be very happy with mine for the p345. Although it doesn't meat your adjustable can't requirement. Good luck! hope you find something and when you do be sure to let us (me) know :-p

By trigger lock, do you mean a finger latch like the Serpa?
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Distinguished Member
    KD Eagle Defender and he is located in your neck of the woods. He will make it like you want it, you just will have to wait a while, like all good holster makers he is very busy. He even visits here every now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    By trigger lock, do you mean a finger latch like the Serpa?
    Yes! I do not want a finger latch system. I just want good friction retention or even a thumb break.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.

Can't go wrong with custom leather. I happen to like TT Gunleather. He did a great job on my IWB holster and as soon as funds allow I intend to buy more from Tim.

I am also fan of Blackhawks CQC holsters. They make a standard holster for the XD (not just the Serpa).

BlackHawk CQC Level 1 Holster - Matte Finish - BLACKHAWK!

Three screws allow you to change the cant to five different positions: perpendicular to your waistline, two positions forward and two positions back (cross draw).

They do not snug up the XD to your body very well though.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    Here is my criteria that I will not compromise on:

- Must be comfortable and very good quality (price point doesn't matter)
    - Keeps the heavy gun very close and tight to my body
    - Rides high and feels secure (no wobble)
    - Must be adjustable for cant or have a good forward cant built in
    - Can be leather, kydex or a hybrid
    - Has good retention without a trigger lock retention system

Have you looked at the Comp-Tac Settable Cant? I have two with belt and paddle attachments for a G19 and a G30. It's the best kydex I own. They deliver FAST... with smarties!Outside Waistband Holsters - products new home - Settable Cant Holster
    Last edited by kpw; May 2nd, 2009 at 12:18 AM. Reason: add
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Wow, lots of holsters out there!

However, I think I have narrowed it down to three, maybe four choices, two of which are by the same company.

Tucker Urban Legend is my favorite so far.

I like this Tucker holster because of its really high ride, well built wings that will keep it tucked tight to my side, strong Kydex for stability and its simply gorgeous!! This is the kind of construction quality I was wanting.

Tucker Pancake may be my second choice but it is possible the K&D Eagle Defender may beat it out slightly.

The Pancake offers a decent height of the pistol ride and I know it will be constructed well. It is Tucker! What I am not certain about is the stability and how closely it will stay tucked to my side.

The K&D Eagle Defender is beautiful and looks very well made, but it doesn't look to ride as high as I would like and it isn't adjustable for cant. Still, it has good cant built in and I guess Kevin can custom make the holster as I like.

Third or fourth would have to be the CompTac Gladiator

I currently wear CompTac and love their products. This one looks like it might just be a possible second choice depending on the Tucker Pancake and how sturdy it is and how it wears. My only concern with the Gladiator is the ride height.

"The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary.
    Men alone are quite capable of every wickedness."

-Joseph Conrad-

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    Can't go wrong with custom leather. I happen to like TT Gunleather. He did a great job on my IWB holster and as soon as funds allow I intend to buy more from Tim.

I am also fan of Blackhawks CQC holsters. They make a standard holster for the XD (not just the Serpa).

BlackHawk CQC Level 1 Holster - Matte Finish - BLACKHAWK!

Three screws allow you to change the cant to five different positions: perpendicular to your waistline, two positions forward and two positions back (cross draw).

They do not snug up the XD to your body very well though.
    TT Leather looks good but nothing shown is offered for the XD45 Service 4" length specifically.

I didn't like anything I saw at Blackhawk. Too much Kydex, no leather.

Quote Originally Posted by Joey View Post
    Those don't attract my attention much. Not bad, but they look like Galco copies.

The FIST #12 is a far cry from a "Galco copy". It quickly became my most used OWB holster (I have 4 now).....every bit as good as my Kramer Scabbards! The Fist #12 and the Kramer hold the pistol so close/snug to the body, it's almost silly.

And the price is right. I've another on order, as I type.

Something else to think about is getting something in hand before summer is over. Since you mention sweat being a problem, you might want to get horse hide over one in cow hide. One problem with the models you are looking at is the flat backs will push the gun more to the outside, whereas the typical all leather pancake molded on both sides will pull the gun in closer.
    I always aim for the right eye...and I never miss - Goldeneye

Quote Originally Posted by Joey View Post
    Perfect choice...I have the Fist #12 for my Glock-36...tight against the body and secure.

Stay armed...close and tight is good...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    FIST does not copy anybody! Well, there are only so many ways to wrap leather or kydex around a gun, so there is some commonality among many holster designs. FIST does do some quite unique stuff with kydex, that I have seen, especially with IWB rigs. My only FIST rig is an IWB rig.

Tucker holsters are extremely well-crafted. My Tucker rigs are mostly field carry rigs for larger sixguns, but I have seen his products at a local dealer, and went to his shop once, when he was interested in buying a firearm I was selling. (We have a mutual friend.)

Ok, I will bite. Looking at a photo of the FIST may not be a great representation of the holster in hand. How does it differ from the Galco? I never meant to offend, just that to me, it looks just like a Galco.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links