Defensive Carry banner

Smartcarry

9K views 73 replies 43 participants last post by  10thmtn 
#1 ·
I ordered my first Smartcarry holster yesterday. The Security V Model to be exact. Can't wait to try it out!

#2 ·
Smart Decision

I purchased my SmartCarry 2 years ago and have used it everyday since. I have and use other types of holsters as well but the SmartCarry is Ole' Faithful. I am sure that you will be happy with your purchase.

Give us a report after you have worn it for awhile.

#5 ·
+1 to all the above. I end up using mine most of the time. I have 2 young kids and usually end up doing a lot of bending, lifting, reaching, wrestling on the floor, etc. and find the SmartCarry works very well to keep my weapon concealed and out of the reach of little hands.

#6 ·
Hi Saber: I agree with you that the Thunderwear is a better value if you are only looking at the price. I have used them for 8 yrs, until I found out about the Smart Carry around May 08. I now have 3 and I'm about ready to order a 4th. Why? It's simple, the Smart Carry has a waterproof barrior in the back panel...it totally has prevented any gun I carry in it from coming into contact with sweat or even condensation. So, even though the Smart Carry is more expensive...it's like the old adage...you get what you pay for. Besides I really like the owner Charlie Parrot, he's a really nice guy.

#9 ·
...the Smart Carry has a waterproof barrior in the back panel...it totally has prevented any gun I carry in it from coming into contact with sweat or even condensation. So, even though the Smart Carry is more expensive...it's like the old adage...you get what you pay for. Besides I really like the owner Charlie Parrot, he's a really nice guy.
Actually, I did not know this! I had already decided to try the S.C. as my second option for this style, simply to see if was different ~ so now I know.
In fact, back when I ordered the T.W. I wasn't even aware of S.C., so go figure.:scratchchin:
Thnaks,

#10 ·
Just remember it takes a while to get used to it, depending what you carry and what pants you wear; carrying a Glock and wearing tight jeans "commando" will make sitting, for a long period of time, uncomfortable.

#11 ·
My Smartcarry arrived today, and I think I might have found my newest favorite holster! Sorry about the poor quality pictures. Cell phone camera!

Handgun holster Gun accessory Belt

Gun Firearm Underpants Trigger Undergarment

Standing Room Electronic device

Selfie Arm Photography Room Finger

#13 ·
Sounds like it's comfortable for you to wear. Some people try to wear it higher than it was designed to wear, and as a result it may not always be comfortable. I've started wearing looser pants since I got mine, and that helps also.

It's not for everyone, but I wear mine almost every day, even if I'm carrying OWB and pocket. If I'm out running around someplace casual, I may carry OWB and pocket. But then if I need to go to a sensitive area (I didn't say an illegal area), I can then load my SmartCarry and ditch the OWB and pocket holsters.

Glad you like yours. Mine adds a lot to my carrying capabilities.

#14 ·
I love my smart carry, ,it's my favorite summer holster, I used to where a pager pal and although it's a good holster the s/c is much more comfy

#19 ·
It works great with the 229. I was concerned that the 229 might be too bulky to carry that way, but it works fine. I carry it low below the waitline, with my regular pants. I never wear real tight pants anyway, but they aren't any bigger than I usually wear.

What really surprised me was how comforable it is! :danceban:

#16 ·
I know it's irrational, but I'm not sure I could get over having a gun that close to my....other gun.

On a more practical note, is it really that comfortable? I'd think bending or running would be awkward at best.

#32 ·
That was a concern of mine as well, but with a little practice it's not hard to draw at all. I just have to get "reprogramed" a bit as I'm used to carrying IWB at 3:30.

#18 ·
I was always for them. Now that I have one, I will admit, there are times I worry about the twig and berries and the femoral artery. If the gun were to somehow fire (unlikely, I know, I've tried to dry fire it while in the Smartcarry, can't do it) it would ruin my day.

#20 ·
I wish I could take some pictures to show how I wear mine. The barrel does not point at any of my flesh unless I cross my legs, and then it's pointing at my calves or lower.

If worn low like the builder recommends, the barrel lays on top of stuff, not pointed at it.

I'm not a fan of carry options that point at the femoral artery, either. When I carry appendix, I cant the gun so the barrel points to the outside of my leg rather than into it.

I understand your concern about the barrel pointing at you; I just don't understand how it happens when you're wearing the SC.

#21 ·
It works great with the 229. I was concerned that the 229 might be too bulky to carry that way, but it works fine. I carry it low below the waitline, with my regular pants. I never wear real tight pants anyway, but they aren't any bigger than I usually wear.

What really surprised me was how comforable it is!

Ok thanks. I know what holster I am getting next.

#26 ·
I purchased the large smartcarry for my XDM 40. I also carry my preferred carry Taurus 24/7 Pro C 45 and a Bersa 383 in it from time to time.

You'll want to buy the smartcarry for the largest gun you'll carry. Then you can put some material in the bottom of the pouches.
(I use "small" pieces of an old t-shirt sleeve.)

The trick is "completely" covering the trigger guard on the firearm but leaving the grip exposed. (Try NOT to have the grip pressing down on the top pouch seam.)

The same goes for your extra magazine. Use enough material to leave the base of the magazine exposed so you can do a quicker reload.

#27 ·
My impression is that there are only a few pouch sizes, and each fits a range of guns. But call Charley and he'll tell advise you.

BTW, I'm happy with my SmartCarry holsters.

#28 ·
Just a side note... I even use my SmartCarry when I'm traveling and not carrying a weapon. I keep my Credit Cards and Money in it! :wink:

#34 ·
Charlie Parrot is one of the best guys in the holster business and he has a great product. No, I am not trolling. I have bought stuff from Charlie since about 2000. He is one of the good guys. I have bought Sentry gun lubes and Marine Tough cloths from him too.

I have carried 3-in 1911's, H&K USPc's in .40 and .45 and a couple of Sigs in them.

They take some getting used to but for warm weather attire you can't beat em.

I promise I am not trolling for Charlie...

Be Safe,

NosaM

#36 ·
Have any issues or things you have differently?
One thing I did that increased the comfort issue significantly is to mismatch the velcro strap, bring my underwear up inside and turn down the rear 1/2 inch and affix it to the strap. Otherwise the strap would ride up and gouge the small of my back.

The strap is firm, and it was uncomfortable. But doing this procedure kept it from riding up, and also secured everything in place.

Another issue is that often people try to wear it too high. It was designed to hang low in front. For me, this not only aids in comfort, but also aids in concealment. I've seen videos where the grip is belt level or a bit higher, but my grip is a couple inches below the belt line. Unless your belt has a strangle-hold on you, carrying lower does not impede the draw.

Another benefit of the SC hanging low is that prevents your gun from pointing at anything important.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.