Dumb Holster Question

Dumb Holster Question

This is a discussion on Dumb Holster Question within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Actually it's not the holster that's the dumb one. I recently bought what was advertized as a "DeSantis belt holster" for a j frame .38. ...

Thread: Dumb Holster Question

Dumb Holster Question

Actually it's not the holster that's the dumb one.

I recently bought what was advertized as a "DeSantis belt holster" for a j frame .38. I got it off of ebay. It shows up I slide it on my belt strong side and it's canted in the wrong direction.

It's a cross draw. Okay nice holster but my arms are too short for cross draw

It got me thinking. In just about every video I've ever seen of a quick draw guy, his holster is canted with the grip of his pistol backwards not forwards. When I tried to draw with this holster on my right side my elbow and wrist were both in a much more natual position. My draw was more comfortable if not faster. I was able to bring my pistol into a firing position faster as well.

Is there a reason for the FBI cant for lack of a better term?

The rearward cant works better with short barreled arms, such as your J-frame. Competition holsters are often made with a rear cant and a cut down front, for a fast presentation. The limitation of the reverse cant (butt to the rear) is that your arm can't go backward far enough to accommodate longer barrels - short barrels or cut-down fronts enhance the speed of draw. If you're comfortable with it and it works for you, go for it.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Quote Originally Posted by ratman57 View Post
    Is there a reason for the FBI cant for lack of a better term?
    Forward cants generally make the gun easier to conceal (particularly large autoloaders). This may not be a big consideration with a small gun like a J-frame though.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ratman57 View Post
    When I tried to draw with this holster on my right side my elbow and wrist were both in a much more natual position. My draw was more comfortable if not faster. I was able to bring my pistol into a firing position faster as well.
    Another beneficial accidental discovery.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    The other limitation of a rearward cant is that it often makes the gun more difficult to conceal. This may not be a big consideration with a small gun like a J-frame though.
    What's the most concealable cross-draw holster for an S&W M&P compact (.40 or .45) semi-auto?
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

The cant will keep the grip closer to the body and assist in reducing possible printing.
    You can always user the 'cross-draw' for long driving trips...perfect for in the vehicle.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Well, it certainly appears that Pizza Bob gave you the not so Dumb Holster Answer. He is absolutely right! Heck, if you like it; you actually got lucky on sleaze-bay.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Sponsored Links