Serpa

This is a discussion on Serpa within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just got a new Auto Ordinance 1911. Are all the 1911 Blackhawk Serpa holsters universal for all 1911 firearms regardless of who makes them? ...

Thread: Serpa

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Serpa

I just got a new Auto Ordinance 1911.

Are all the 1911 Blackhawk Serpa holsters universal for all 1911 firearms regardless of who makes them?

I would imagine so since 1911's are pretty universal, just wanted to make sure tho.

2. Remove Ads

Although I haven't tried it with different models, it should be universal by size (commander or full size). If you've got a funny trigger guard width I would think that would cause problems. That's pretty much the only place the Serpa holds your gun.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

The main incompatibility with 1911s seems to be with railed guns. If you don't have a rail, standard 1911 holsters will probably work.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    A number of instructors will not allow Serpas in their classes. The release button gets trigger fingers in a place that induces some folks to fail to follow one of the fundamental four rules of firearms safety.

What instructors were those again?

Here's a thread at another site that went over the subject of blaming ND's on the Serpa design ad nauseum: http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...a-allowed.html

I've seen many ND's, never with the Serpa. Someone has one with the Serpa - it's the Serpa's fault.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Gabe Suarez, and his instructors, that I recall at the moment. I think there were others before them.

I think another major instructor also disallows them, but his site is not searchable, so it may be difficult to confirm.

I was first warned about the Serpa by a former LE colleague, who is now a prosecutor.

Y'all keep in mind I am simply passing along information. I have not considered the Serpa for myself, simply because it differs from what the mandatory rig I use on duty. I want my rigs to either use the same retention system as my duty rig, or else no active retention system at all.

I am also not blaming anything on the Serpa; it is the violation of one of the basic rules of gun handling, if one's finger is on the trigger when it should not be. I CAN see how some fools would keep their booger hooks under tension, after releasing a pistol carried in a Serpa, causing said booger hook to snap onto the trigger. Such folks should not handle guns, nor drive motor vehicles or operate other dangerous machinery.

I'm not trying to shoot the messenger, so to speak. I just hear it a lot. And I mean, a lot. The design puts your trigger finger along the frame of the weapon, so in a way it is actually an aid to indexing your finger along the frame. It is my opinion that an ND with a Serpa is caused by the same problem as an ND with any other holster. Others disagree with me, and I'm fine with that. I hate to see a good product slammed over one incident.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    Gabe Suarez, and his instructors, that I recall at the moment. I think there were others before them.
    Tactical Response (James Yeager) doesn't allow them either.

Lead Moderator
    Keep it on topic thanks, the thread was about the fit of 1911 pistols in the Serpa holster.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

You can easily modify the SERPA 1911 holster to accomodate full-railed guns. On the bottom-rear of the holster you'll see where the half-rail slot (that comes in the holster) ends. Just take a saw/cut-off tool/hot knife and cut a notch (about 1") from the end of that rail slot to the bottom of the gun. Use sand paper etc. to clean up the cut and you'll have a serpa that any 1911 will fit into. The bottom inch of the rail just sticks of from the whole.

I carry my TRP that way 100%
    "In God we trust, as for the rest of you... keep your hands where I can see them" - Unknown

As others have stated, the SERPA fits most 1911's that do not have a rail. If your gun does have a rail, it is a fairly easy thing to do a slight modification to the holster so your railed gun will fit very nicely.

The SERPA is a VERY well designed holster. To manipulate the release "button" your trigger finger HAS to be in the proper position that will put your finger ABOVE the trigger guard up on the frame. If you have an ND when drawing from a SERPA it is YOUR fault, not the holsters fault nor any BS design flaw. YOU moved your trigger finger into position to operate the trigger before the gun is on target.

Train with the holster with an empty gun and LEARN to draw properly. In my opinion, if you have an ND with a SERPA, you would end up having one with any other kind of holster you use because you are careless and don't really know what you are doing when drawing your gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    Tactical Response (James Yeager) doesn't allow them either.
    I have met Yeager, he has talked to our TFA chapter once or twice. IMO he isn't that good of an instructor, is really full of himself and is nothing more than a boastful fool. I was not impressed with him AT ALL. If he comes to talk to our TFA chapter again, I will be sure to pass on that meeting. He basically doesn't know what he is talking abouty and he does a dis-service to those who put their trust in him to train them.

Just my opinion, but I feel pretty strongly about it.

I have had to draw for real twice this year unfortunately, very stressful situations both. Both were draws done from my SERPA and neither time did I have an ND. Both were with a Glock 23, no external safety, just the big safety between my ears, and it was engaged as it always is.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Links