Need help with holster!

This is a discussion on Need help with holster! within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Jrod012889 i want to carry OWB Okay, assuming you don't want to wear a fanny pak, the holster that is going to ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help with holster!

Quote Originally Posted by Jrod012889 View Post
    i want to carry OWB
    Okay, assuming you don't want to wear a fanny pak, the holster that is going to offer you the most concealment in OWB is what's called a high ride. Look for holsters were the trailing belt slot [left one on a RH] is just at or below the trigger guard. Seeing how the P220 is a rather large gun, this style will be your best bet. However, it may not be the most comfortable. Be sure you get one with a sweat shield - this will keep the gun off your skin. You are gonna need it in that Georgia heat. A high ride puts the muzzle closer to the belt line, which makes it easier to cover. but the holster has to be pretty stout to combat flopping over and this is why some people find them uncomfortable.

Shove two layers of 5" wide cardboard in your pants about 4-5" above the belt line and you'll get a good idea of how it will feel as you move about - try different positions [10-6 o'clock] until you find what feels best. Most people carry between 3 and 5 with the ideal position being whatever places the guns grip a close as possible to parallel with your body.

Another style that would work is a "small of the back" holster. You need to read up on that as there many pros and cons. Probably not a good idea to start, but just know that it is an option.

The next thing you need to decide is if you will carry an extra mag.

The next thing after that is you must have a high quality belt. In fact, this is what you need more than anything else. Nothing else is going to work as it should without it.

Do you need suggestions on some gear to look at? What is your budget? How soon do you need it?
    I always aim for the right eye...and I never miss - Goldeneye

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Warmon View Post
    Okay, assuming you don't want to wear a fanny pak, the holster that is going to offer you the most concealment in OWB is what's called a high ride. Look for holsters were the trailing belt slot [left one on a RH] is just at or below the trigger guard. Seeing how the P220 is a rather large gun, this style will be your best bet. However, it may not be the most comfortable. Be sure you get one with a sweat shield - this will keep the gun off your skin. You are gonna need it in that Georgia heat. A high ride puts the muzzle closer to the belt line, which makes it easier to cover. but the holster has to be pretty stout to combat flopping over and this is why some people find them uncomfortable.

Shove two layers of 5" wide cardboard in your pants about 4-5" above the belt line and you'll get a good idea of how it will feel as you move about - try different positions [10-6 o'clock] until you find what feels best. Most people carry between 3 and 5 with the ideal position being whatever places the guns grip a close as possible to parallel with your body.

Another style that would work is a "small of the back" holster. You need to read up on that as there many pros and cons. Probably not a good idea to start, but just know that it is an option.

The next thing you need to decide is if you will carry an extra mag.

The next thing after that is you must have a high quality belt. In fact, this is what you need more than anything else. Nothing else is going to work as it should without it.

Do you need suggestions on some gear to look at? What is your budget? How soon do you need it?
    yeah i need some suggestions, and i wont need it for about 7 months im just wanting to be prepared for when i get my gun and my permit.
    "When you have to shoot, Shoot! Don't talk."

Quote Originally Posted by Jrod012889 View Post
    yeah i need some suggestions, and i wont need it for about 7 months...
    This ought to get you started. I ordered two Hoplons from Little Bear this week. Dave is a real nice guy and will treat you right. I also have one holster on order from TT for my Sig 220...am getting the OWB Mag Combo. I have a couple of FIST's and they are great - thick, stiff and very well done. I also have one UBG holster [a Regulator for a HK USPc] and his work his work is outstanding.

TT Gunleather:
    High Ride Pancake holster
    Gun Belt
    OWB Mag Light combo Holder

FIST Inc.:
    FIST, INC.
    #30 SINGLE MAG POUCH
    BELTS

Little Bear:
    HOPLON Little Bear Custom Holsters - Belt Holsters*It seems Belt Holsters are the most popular choice, of late. I have built them for Law Enforcement, Military, members of SOCOM, for civilian use and a few have made it to parts unknown. What make them grea
    Little Bear Custom Holsters - Magazine Sheaths and Accessories are a very important part of the overall shooters tools. They carry extra ammunition, lights, knives, batons, handcuffs and so forth. When I did my LE stint, my belt looked like something

UBG Holsters:
    Bonneville UBG Holsters
    UBG Holsters
    UBG Holsters
    I always aim for the right eye...and I never miss - Goldeneye

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links